Pissed! Surveillance camera video of firebomb attack

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
YouTube - Surveillance camera video of firebomb attack

So Mr. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, grabbed one of his Smith & Wesson revolvers from his safe, loaded it and headed outside dressed in only his underwear.
“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.
His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.
The local Crown attorney’s office later laid a charge of pointing a firearm, along with two counts of careless storage of a firearm. The Crown has recommended Mr. Thomson go to jail, his lawyer said.
His collection of seven guns, five pistols and two rifles was seized, along with his firearms licence. Mr. Thomson said he lives in fear that his attackers will return and has taken to arming himself with a fire extinguisher.

This....is lunacy.

Thank you, all you damned morons, the gun controllers, the bloody Liberal idiots, the anti-self defense crowd.

This is what you've brought us to..

You have made it increasingly difficult for a man to defend himself, you have literally left us defenseless in the face of the wolves....it is just so stunningly outrageous.....

I'd have blown these boys right out of their ****ing socks with a couple of loads of buckshot, and considered it righteous.....I mean if having molotov cocktails thrown at your house while you are in it is not putting you in danger of "death or grievous bodily harm", what the hell is?

I guess the unfortunate Mr. Thompson was supposed to stay inside and bake............you know, and avoid screaming too loudly.......we wouldn't want him to upset his visiting neighbours..........

I just hope he gets a rural jury........

This could give me a heart attack.

This country has gone to the dogs.

Literally.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What is the rest of the story moring glory? He had them on video. He didn't need to freeze his nards off and risk injury did he? So who did this nut job piss off in the first to be fire bombed?
Mr. Thomson said he lives in fear that his attackers will return and has taken to arming himself with a fire extinguisher.
That's priceless. If I'm going to shoot a fire out, I'd want something bigger than a pistol.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What is the rest of the story moring glory? He had them on video. He didn't need to freeze his nards off and risk injury did he? So who did this nut job piss off in the first to be fire bombed?
That's priceless. If I'm going to shoot a fire out, I'd want something bigger than a pistol.

Sorry, don't have the patience to giggle at your inanities today.

I take it you are one of the ****ing stupids that think he was supposed to stay inside and get burned alive.

Can't say I'm surprised.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
mental note.... don't kill the neighbours' animals. They don't take kindly to it, even when it's something so threatening and horrific as a chicken.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
This....is lunacy.

This is lunacy. What are you suppose to do, hide in the bathroom and hope your house doesn't burn down? That he doesn't kill your dogs? What really bites for that poor fellow is that they seized his license and firearms. I hope he gets a rural jury as well and has his property returned.

We really do need reformed gun laws here. In America 37 states have "shall issue" legislation, meaning if you aren't a convicted felon, pass the test, fill out the red tape they WILL issue you a concealed weapons permit. A few states have "may issue" where they determine on a case by case basis if your a noble enough person to carry a concealed weapon. And 3 states, God bless 'em, have "unrestricted" laws meaning you can buy a handgun and conceal it(laws do however prohibit carrying into certain places like a courthouse or police station).

Society is getting worse and its just a matter of time before some lunatic here in Canada opens fire on a crowd of people, and innocent lives(like 9 year old girls) will be needlessly lost because their was no responsible, armed citizen there to kill the bad guy.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I hope he belongs to one of those associations like the OFAH or the ontario handgun association....A membership usualy comes with an insurance that will help with the cost of the lawyer, and I would ask for a jury trial.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

What really bites for that poor fellow is that they seized his license and firearms.
The the law is the same. Even tighter when it comes to community safety.

They seized his license and waepons because he was being a danger to the public. He knew the laws he broke them he paid the consequences.

Stupidity isn't legal excuse.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The the law is the same. Even tighter when it comes to community safety.

They seized his license and waepons because he was being a danger to the public. He knew the laws he broke them he paid the consequences.

Stupidity isn't legal excuse.

He broke no laws.

That is the point. You may use lethal force when you have reason to believe you are in immediate danger of death or grievous bodily harm. There is a (ridiculous) requirement that you retreat in the face of criminal activity.

This guy was inside his own home when it was firebombed. I assume you understand that having your house set afire while you are in it could cause death or grievous bodily harm.....the only place he could "retreat" to was outside, where the gentlemen that were kindly illuminating his house with bottles of gasoline were situated.

Now, explain to me, oh dropped on his head one, exactly what YOUR reaction would be in this situation.

Admittedly, I would have done things differently.

Never take a handgun when a 12 ga pump action is available.

Shoot centre mass. Never fire "warning" shots. If the situation calls for shooting, you must shoot with the intention of stopping your assailant.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He broke no laws.

The local Crown attorney’s office later laid a charge of pointing a firearm, along with two counts of careless storage of a firearm. The Crown has recommended Mr. Thomson go to jail, his lawyer said

He fired shots for **** sakes.

Police said no one was injured in the shooting and the attackers got into a car and sped off. They charged Randy Weaver, 48, of Port Colborne, and Justin Lee, 19, of Welland, with arson in December, alleging the men and a third suspect “intentionally set the home on fire while the homeowner was inside.”

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He fired shots for **** sakes.

And your point?

Would not you have done the same?

Are you saying it is not legal in this country to use firearms to defend yourself?

In that case, why do police and armed guards carry them?

Personally, I think the guy showed extreme restraint.......

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would put the fires out after calling the police and FD. They were on video. That's far better than eye for an eye.

And your point?

Would not you have done the same?

Are you saying it is not legal in this country to use firearms to defend yourself?
No. Firing at someone who is driving away is not defending myself and leaving my house and property to burn is not something I'd do.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I would put the fires out after calling the police and FD. They were on video. That's far better than eye for an eye.

No. Firing at someone who is driving away is not defending myself and leaving my house and property to burn is not something I'd do.

It is a little difficult to put out fires while they are throwing bottles of gasoline at the house........

Please read again....

“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.

Read more: Man faces jail after protecting home from masked attackers | Features | National Post

He did not fire at their vehicle.........it appears he only fired warning shots to drive them off (a tactical mistake, but the guy isn't trained....)

The odd thing about this is that he was charged with dangerous use of a firearm because he fired warning shots. He may well be convicted, as the prosecution may well say "If you felt your life was threatened, why did you just fire in the air?"

NEVER fire warning shots. If you fire in the air, you don't know where the rounds are going, you are firing away rounds you might need in the fight, and at night the muzzle flash is blinding.........leaving you at a disadvantage if things go really bad.

Don't shoot unless you have cause. If you have cause to shoot, shoot centre mass.

It is actually easier to defend in court.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He fired his weapon. He broke the law. He failed to call the cops and FD until after his stupid stupid illegal mistake. He had video with audio and knew the people.

I would have gotten the same result running after them with the phone and still would have been eating my own food, read my own books and slept in my own bed that night and still have my weapons and pride.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He fired his weapon. He broke the law. He failed to call the cops and FD until after his stupid stupid illegal mistake. He had video with audio and knew the people.

I would have gotten the same result running after them with the phone and still would have been eating my own food, read my own books and slept in my own bed that night and still have my weapons and pride.

Ridiculous. He may well have been burned to death in his own home..........

The rules for use of force are thus:

The aggressor must have INTENT (I think trying to burn your house down while you are in in shows intent, don't you?)
A WEAPON (molotov cocktails obviously qualify)
A DELIVERY SYSTEM (they were already demonstrating that by throwing them against the house)

Had you gone outside with just your phone, there is an excellent chance you would have had a molotov cocktail thrown at you, and you would either be in the morque......or in a burn unit at the hospital, in unbelievable agony.

That in itself gives him the legal right to apply lethal force......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Let's just hope that he doesn't have 12 petros on the jury.

In the situation just described, I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I see. So the police charged him for ****s and giggles....gotcha. Must be some more of those asshole cops JLM keeps whining about.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I am expressing an opinion, and I probably know as much about self-defense law as the average cop, considering I have taught it to both armed and unarmed guards.

If you believe the police defend you, I would ask that you read Christie Blatchford's book Helpless.

Funny, how the cop that kicks a helpless guy in the face on video is "innocent until proven guilty', but a man who defends himself under obvious threat is not given that same consideration......

Is a little consistency too much to ask?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Funny, how the cop that kicks a helpless guy in the face on video is "innocent until proven guilty', but a man who defends himself under obvious threat is not given that same consideration......

Did I say he was guilty? You said he committed no crime. Like JLM, you rush to judge. Personally, I see nothing to indicate that, at the moment he fired the gun, his life was in imminent danger. I'm sure the courts will sort it out. If you are an expert in self defense, I think that particular industry need a shakeup.