The moral degeneration of our times .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The moral degeneration of our times

By Si Ji

Every generation is different from the previous one. But the total absence of moral values among some people born between the late 1980s and early 1990s makes them different in a sadly different way.
As young girls, we were taught to look for knowledge and integrity in a man, and marry the one who we loved. (In earlier times, women were taught to love the man they were married to, though.) Sex was always a deepening of intimacy that came only with a relationship of trust. But some girls today consider such values old-fashioned moral rhetoric.
These are different times. These are times of some young women (and men) looking for rich and powerful partners. It doesn't matter to them even if the rich and powerful men (or women) are already married, because they can always become their concubines (or male paramours). Call them gold diggers, if you will.
Perhaps the worst example of gold digging is a list "published" by some students of 12 Shanghai universities in July. It was meant for rich men and women interested in supporting them as concubines and male paramours. The "prices" the students put on themselves ranged from 20,000 yuan ($3,011) to 500,000 yuan ($75,284).
There's nothing wrong with girls and boys seeking fun, but some of them want a different kind of fun and a lot of funds to go with it. It's true that girls are taught to marry the man who is capable of providing for them and their children. But gold diggers have taken this lesson to a whole new level. They aspire, without a trace of embarrassment, to a life of leisure "earned" through relationships with rich and powerful men.
The other day, I was shocked when a roommate of my 20-year-old niece, who is in college, told me how she planned to become a rich woman. She said she was keeping her "eyes open for a rich man irrespective of his age". What shocked me more is that many of her friends didn't see it as an aberration.
So, has gold digging become a viable career option for women? One may be forgiven for thinking so, especially after seeing that TV programs for lonely hearts to find partners have no qualms about encouraging gold digging. They teach participants that there is no romance without finance and a woman's best route to success is by marrying a rich man.
Eighteen wealthy men in Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong province, issued an advertisement seeking young partners a few months ago. They wanted the girls to be between 25 and 26, more than 1.65 meters tall, and most importantly, have the facial features (read beautiful enough) to help their would-be husbands' material progress. More than 1,000 girls who were in the first round of the "competition" had their "faces read" by a "master" hired specifically for the job.
If this is not a naked display of wealth and worse still naked worship of wealth, then what is? And we thought we had traveled a long way on the road of social reform.
It is not difficult to find the reasons why some women want to have relationships with rich men. A woman who is in such a relationship can have the best comforts of life, get expensive gifts, go on dream vacations, stay in the best hotels, dine in the best restaurants and drive luxurious cars. She can enjoy the power that comes with wealth and change from a "Miss Nobody" to "Miss Somebody" overnight.
But who will tell them that life is not only about money and power, but also about dignity and struggles? Who will tell them that the moment they enter such a relationship, they turn themselves into a commodity? And who will tell them that true happiness cannot be bought or sold?

China Daily

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The moral degeneration of our times

By Si Ji

Every generation is different from the previous one. But the total absence of moral values among some people born between the late 1980s and early 1990s makes them different in a sadly different way.
As young girls, we were taught to look for knowledge and integrity in a man, and marry the one who we loved. (In earlier times, women were taught to love the man they were married to, though.) Sex was always a deepening of intimacy that came only with a relationship of trust. But some girls today consider such values old-fashioned moral rhetoric.
These are different times. These are times of some young women (and men) looking for rich and powerful partners. It doesn't matter to them even if the rich and powerful men (or women) are already married, because they can always become their concubines (or male paramours). Call them gold diggers, if you will.
Perhaps the worst example of gold digging is a list "published" by some students of 12 Shanghai universities in July. It was meant for rich men and women interested in supporting them as concubines and male paramours. The "prices" the students put on themselves ranged from 20,000 yuan ($3,011) to 500,000 yuan ($75,284).
There's nothing wrong with girls and boys seeking fun, but some of them want a different kind of fun and a lot of funds to go with it. It's true that girls are taught to marry the man who is capable of providing for them and their children. But gold diggers have taken this lesson to a whole new level. They aspire, without a trace of embarrassment, to a life of leisure "earned" through relationships with rich and powerful men.
The other day, I was shocked when a roommate of my 20-year-old niece, who is in college, told me how she planned to become a rich woman. She said she was keeping her "eyes open for a rich man irrespective of his age". What shocked me more is that many of her friends didn't see it as an aberration.
So, has gold digging become a viable career option for women? One may be forgiven for thinking so, especially after seeing that TV programs for lonely hearts to find partners have no qualms about encouraging gold digging. They teach participants that there is no romance without finance and a woman's best route to success is by marrying a rich man.
Eighteen wealthy men in Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong province, issued an advertisement seeking young partners a few months ago. They wanted the girls to be between 25 and 26, more than 1.65 meters tall, and most importantly, have the facial features (read beautiful enough) to help their would-be husbands' material progress. More than 1,000 girls who were in the first round of the "competition" had their "faces read" by a "master" hired specifically for the job.
If this is not a naked display of wealth and worse still naked worship of wealth, then what is? And we thought we had traveled a long way on the road of social reform.
It is not difficult to find the reasons why some women want to have relationships with rich men. A woman who is in such a relationship can have the best comforts of life, get expensive gifts, go on dream vacations, stay in the best hotels, dine in the best restaurants and drive luxurious cars. She can enjoy the power that comes with wealth and change from a "Miss Nobody" to "Miss Somebody" overnight.
But who will tell them that life is not only about money and power, but also about dignity and struggles? Who will tell them that the moment they enter such a relationship, they turn themselves into a commodity? And who will tell them that true happiness cannot be bought or sold?

China Daily

I think there have been members of the element you mention in every generation. If they persist in their ways they usually come to a bad end. Smart people soon come to realize that "glamorous"' aspirations turn out to be anything but, just look at Hollywood and you find most of these types end up broke, possibly alcoholic or drug addicted and often suicidal. We are all born with a brain and a pair of eyes, some don't use either. Smart people watch others and soon realize the results of their actions. Smart people learn from other's mistakes, average people learn from their own and dumb people reach the age of 65 (if they last that long) broke, disenfranchised, desperate and lonely. Wealth is only important to the point where you have enough to provide for your basic needs, after that it becomes a double edged sword. You can use it to help others or destroy yourself.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I got news for you. There have always been gold diggers around. Most likely always will be. No real different than the freeloaders that are always looking for a government handout, just have their sights set a little higher.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Some societies are different from others; while living and studying in St. Petersburg, one of my daughter's profs asked the class what their aspirations were. My daughter was the only girl in class who wished to work hard, try to get on at NASA or the Russian Space Agency and/or possibly fly helicopters, they all looked at her as if she had six heads, even the prof. The aspiriations of young Russian women, (even the one lesbian in the class), are to marry rich men and never have to work. I think the reason many of them even go to university is to scope out potential partners.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I got news for you. There have always been gold diggers around. Most likely always will be. No real different than the freeloaders that are always looking for a government handout, just have their sights set a little higher.

I wouldn't blame the women,

the means of subsistence in Canada are a suburb home, an automobile and 2.1 kids, and (unlike the 1950s) that requires two working incomes and a mortage.
Contrary to modern feminism which advocates that 'being a career women is liberating' (is it really?), a lot of women out there have no interest in such but economic realities dictate you don't have much option other than working or marrying into money.

A man in the 1950s could afford the suburb home, an automobile, yearly vacation and 2.1 kids in an entry-level position at a factory.

In 2010, especially in my city of Vancouver, you better make at least $100,000 a year if you want a suburb home, yearly vacation, 2.1 kids and an automobile, and have the wife remain at home to take care of the children, cook, et al.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wouldn't blame the women,

the means of subsistence in Canada are a suburb home, an automobile and 2.1 kids, and (unlike the 1950s) that requires two working incomes and a mortage.
Contrary to modern feminism which advocates that 'being a career women is liberating' (is it really?), a lot of women out there have no interest in such but economic realities dictate you don't have much option other than working or marrying into money.

A man in the 1950s could afford the suburb home, an automobile and 2.1 kids in an entry-level position at a factory.

In 2010, especially in my city of Vancouver, you better make at least $100,000 a year if you want a suburb home, 2.1 kids and an automobile, and have the wife remain at home to take care of the children, cook, et al.

I was going to write something similar, but upon seeing your post decided it would do as well, basically saying some of these women may have experienced "slim pickens" in Russia.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Some societies are different from others; while living and studying in St. Petersburg, one of my daughter's profs asked the class what their aspirations were. My daughter was the only girl in class who wished to work hard, try to get on at NASA or the Russian Space Agency and/or possibly fly helicopters, they all looked at her as if she had six heads, even the prof. The aspiriations of young Russian women, (even the one lesbian in the class), are to marry rich men and never have to work. I think the reason many of them even go to university is to scope out potential partners.

I have noticed in Eastern Europe that women do marry and have children at a younger age, so perhaps you are right?
Nevermind, the ones I know who fit under this category in Canada, want a degree because it lessens the image of being a "Gold Digger" and of course no one wants to put themselves into the position of being entirely reliant on a husband, especially if he ends up becoming abusive or a 'freak'.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Precisely. Marrying well has always been an option for both men and women. That is why prior to the 20th century, and in some countries even later, the dowry was so important. So far as women are concerned marrying well made good economic sense since a woman's role was restricted to being a wife and mother.

Today the practice is no longer quite so important in many countries, but that does not mean women do not seek out men who are wealthy. All you have to do is look at the wives of professional athletes or successful entertainers and businessmen to realize that. The fact of the situation is that many women look for more than just love and good looks in a relationship. They also want financial security.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Precisely. Marrying well has always been an option for both men and women. That is why prior to the 20th century, and in some countries even later, the dowry was so important. So far as women are concerned marrying well made good economic sense since a woman's role was restricted to being a wife and mother.

Today the practice is no longer quite so important in many countries, but that does not mean women do not seek out men who are wealthy. All you have to do is look at the wives of professional athletes or successful entertainers and businessmen to realize that. The fact of the situation is that many women look for more than just love and good looks in a relationship. They also want financial security.

Financial security that most men are no longer capable of offering. Although it seemed like a century ago, just about every man was able to walk into an estate office and get himself a couple dozen acres somewhere out in Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, et al, of course he had to work the land but he was nevertheless able to provide for a wife and 8 children. That was in essence the Canadian and American dream, if you worked hard than you could make it!

Of course nowadays, people are considered lazy when they don't feel motivation in working a 8 hour job in the service industry and walk home to a mountain of debt, an apartment, and no money to raise a kid or even to take the lady friend out to dinner...

Even those of us who manage to make a six figure salaries (Professional Salary / 100,000) it may be enough to keep the misses at home but not to educate 4, let alone, 8 children, and pay off a mortage in Vancouver (1-2 million)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Even those of us who manage to make a six figure salaries (Professional Salary / 100,000) it may be enough to keep the misses at home but not to educate 4, let alone, 8 children, and pay off a mortage in Vancouver (1-2 million)

Then I suggest people move out of Vancouver.

My wife is a stay at home. I have 3 kids (1 I'm putting through university now). I have a decent house that is paid for and 2 vehicles in the driveway. I'm taking the family to Hawaii in February. I want for nothing.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That said, if I was to start looking for a new wife, I would probably use the internet. It's way easier than getting out of my chair and hunting one physically.

I like the European ones. They're more open minded but that's a long way to go to check my traps.