Ottawa police cut off woman's bra after arrest

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Ottawa police cut off woman's bra after arrest - CTV News

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa's police chief says he understands the community's shock following the release of a jailhouse surveillance video that shows officers hitting a detained woman and cutting her shirt and bra off with scissors.

But Chief Vern White asked that the public remain patient as officials probe the case, which occurred more than two years ago but is only now becoming a public relations nightmare for the Ottawa Police Service.

The video of the Sept. 6, 2008 incident was recently made public after the Ottawa Citizen sought its release with a court order. The woman in the video, Stacy Bonds, was kneed by Special Const. Melanie Morris and later held to the floor by a group of officers.

On the surveillance video, Sgt. Steve Desjourdy is later seen cutting off Bonds' bra and shirt with a pair of scissors.

"I understand that Ottawa residents will be shocked by the video," said Chief White, who said that the Special Investigations Unit is investigating the incident.

Bonds was arrested during an incident which unfolded as she walked along a central Ottawa street.

When officers scanned Bonds' name through their cruiser computer, they found that she had no outstanding offences and no criminal record. Officers let her go, but when Bonds inquired about why she had been stopped in the first place, she was arrested for public intoxication, according to court documents.

While in custody, Bonds' head was jerked violently and she later soiled herself. With her shirt cut off, Bonds was taken to a cell and left there for several hours. She was later charged with assaulting a police officer.

Last month, a judge stayed that charge, following revelations of how Bonds had been treated while in custody. The judge in the case, Justice Richard Lajoie, said that the treatment was an offense to human dignity.

"As the Chief of Police, I was very concerned by the comments made by Justice Lajoie in court last October 29th and I immediately ordered an investigation by our Professional Standards Section to review our procedures as well as our officers' actions," White's statement said.

"We will not be making further comments on this matter nor the release of a video by the court, until such time as the SIU investigation is completed."
-------------------------------------------------------

I would seriously like to hear their explanation justifying them cutting off her shirt and bra and aggressively attacking her as they did.... and I'd also like to know why they reacted as they did when she asked why they bothered to stop her in the first place, which is in her full right to ask and get an answer for..... not get treated like some animal.

Public intoxication is a last ditch grab to find some justification for what they did to her and if they let her keep walking, she would have probably have headed home or to some friend's place and life would have gone on...... plenty of people are actually intoxicated while in public and not stopped or arrested, unless of course they were causing some kind of disturbance or threat to the community..... but from what I heard so far, she posed no threat to anybody.

And regardless if she was publicly intoxicated or not, is that enough justification to treat someone the way they did and take away any shred of dignity she had left by practically ripping off her shirt and bra, putting her in a position where she ends up pissing herself and then leave her in that state for several hours?

Based on the above descriptions on what they did to her, I can't believe to god damn gall they have to charge her for assaulting a police officer..... if that sh*t was done to me, chances are I'd be making sure I had a few charges of assaulting a police officer, because nobody has the damn right to do that to someone..... they're not fk'n gods and whoever is in their custody are still fk'n human beings ffs.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The Ottawa police should be rightfully concerned, arresting a women for no reason then charging her for questioning why she was arrested in the first place, which ultimately led to her being beaten and humiliated.

The whole bunch of officers involved should be immediately dismissed if the force is concerned at all about its image.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
**** the pigs!

I wouldn't say all of them, just the rotten ones like the ones mentioned in the OP. I think that if she did nothing wrong(which is what it certainly sounds like to me so far) in the end, then she should be given a public apology and a settlement.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wouldn't say all of them, just the rotten ones like the ones mentioned in the OP. I think that if she did nothing wrong(which is what it certainly sounds like to me so far) in the end, then she should be given a public apology and a settlement.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to lose some good skin cells when cutting out the cancer.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
What a humiliating and horrifying experience for the woman! Not only should all officers on duty that participated in this arrest be fired, but new protocols should be implimented for screening people during the hiring process. Internal affairs lawyers that failed to act on this should also be fired. It should not have taken a court case for the police to acknowledge that serious mistakes were made.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
CBC News - Ottawa - Police strip search video prompts outrage

It doesn't look good, does it??

It does appear that she is resisting, mildly.......and I know why the woman kneed her, she was in the correct position to floor her for a non-compliant handcuffing...........it is done as follows:

One hand on the wrist, the other on the elbow, knee strike to the thigh muscle, subjects arm pulled across the body, pressure exerted on the elbow, forcing the subject to the ground face down to be handcuffed......

The questions here are;

Why was she arrested in the first place?

Why did she have cuffs dangling from one arm? (an absolute no-no, as they are an effective weapon like that)

Why was the officer so distracted, upset, and / or incompetent that she tried to ground her while another officer was holding her by the attached cuff, and a third had her by the hair, making the grounding impossible????

What happened to the female officer that is limping?

WHY were her blouse and bra cut off? (No excuse I can imagine!)

WHY was she left in a cell, half naked and soiled, for three hours? (No excuse imaginable!!!!)

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That fat blond that was violently assaulting the victim with her knee ... hair pulling ... she's got serious anger issues. Next we see her playing the victim. Did she twist her knee while she was assaulting a woman that was being held by several people? What's with making the victim lie on the counter to scan her finger prints? Is there no more respectful way to fingerprint short people?

Police officers need training to better understand that there are violent criminals, and there are regular citizens that have a couple of drinks and walk home. They should not all be treated the same.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Some Ottawa cops have no sense of humour,at all,be very polite or get hurt.I survived Nicholas street jail.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
So ... two years after the incident two officers are on administrative leave? I don't think that is enough, and I hope people of Ottawa demand more than having two officers take a paid leave of absence.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
CBC News - Ottawa - Police strip search video prompts outrage

It doesn't look good, does it??

It does appear that she is resisting, mildly.......and I know why the woman kneed her, she was in the correct position to floor her for a non-compliant handcuffing...........it is done as follows:

One hand on the wrist, the other on the elbow, knee strike to the thigh muscle, subjects arm pulled across the body, pressure exerted on the elbow, forcing the subject to the ground face down to be handcuffed......

The questions here are;

Why was she arrested in the first place?

Why did she have cuffs dangling from one arm? (an absolute no-no, as they are an effective weapon like that)

Why was the officer so distracted, upset, and / or incompetent that she tried to ground her while another officer was holding her by the attached cuff, and a third had her by the hair, making the grounding impossible????

What happened to the female officer that is limping?

WHY were her blouse and bra cut off? (No excuse I can imagine!)

WHY was she left in a cell, half naked and soiled, for three hours? (No excuse imaginable!!!!)
Are you serious, Colpy? Normally you are a sensible guy in regards to law enforcement but if it takes two men to hold her down and an aggressive women cop to knee her in the face, there is a problem. These cops are scum and a disgrace to the force.

I

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
It seems to me that when a complaint against police is initially made, it goes to the lawyer on staff with the police force. This lawyer would then discuss it with the appropriate officers - possibly including the chief. A decision would be made by the internal disciplinary committee. It appears that when the complaint was made, either the lawyer ignored it, the chief buried it, or the disciplinary committee didn't act on it. Presumably each of these parties was aware of the complaint prior to it being pursued in the courts, and failed to act. In my opinion, each of the people in those positions of responsibility should be fired without severance immediately ... in addition to immediately firing all officers that participated in any stage of the unlawful arrest, detention, assault and stripping of this woman by police.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
....When officers scanned Bonds' name through their cruiser computer, they found that she had no outstanding offences and no criminal record. Officers let her go, "but" when Bonds inquired about why she had been stopped in the first place, she was arrested for public intoxication, according to court documents....

I wonder "if" this woman was intoxicated, or just questioned the wrong people
with the right question? Be interesting to see how this one plays out. I guess.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Are you serious, Colpy? Normally you are a sensible guy in regards to law enforcement but if it takes two men to hold her down and an aggressive women cop to knee her in the face, there is a problem. These cops are scum and a disgrace to the force.

I

I'm not disagreeing.......no way she should have been stripped and humiliated like that, no way she should have been taken down so rough, these people were behaving like complete idiots.

Yes they should be fired.........

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Police who behave like this are the exception, not the rule. I expect the officers involved will face charges. Failure to hold police officers accountable for their actions would undermine Canada's criminal justice system.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
eao,are you stunned or what ?! The most that will happen is one or two will get suspended, with pay.Shyte like this happens every day all over the country and there is little or nothing done,Cops enforce laws ,they don't seem to have to obey them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Intoxicated in public, she got a pass.

Then she got upitty and asked why she was even stopped, now the pass is revoked.

Resisted a lawful search on video and got the ****ty end of the stick...

I say again people, when the Police give you a lawful command, comply.

But hay, she's likely an upstanding citizen, you know how upstanding citizens wonder around public streets three sheets to the wind all the time...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Intoxicated in public, she got a pass.

Then she got upitty and asked why she was even stopped, now the pass is revoked.

Resisted a lawful search on video and got the ****ty end of the stick...

I say again people, when the Police give you a lawful command, comply.

But hay, she's likely an upstanding citizen, you know how upstanding citizens wonder around public streets three sheets to the wind all the time...

BEAR!

How the **** are Ya!!!!!! :)

Very good to see you back....

Now.....you're full of it.... :)

I've had this training.

Even leaving the arrest aside.....

It should have been easy to talk this passively resistant woman into doing whatever they wanted.......

It is entirely incompetent to attempt a takedown of someone that is passively resistant while one person has her by the wrist, and the other by the hair.

It is entirely incompetent to leave a person with the cuff on one arm........push the ratchet through, and the subject has a sharp, jagged weapon..........in the perfect position to give full effect of a swing.

It is absolutely unnecessary to strip a woman to the waist, then leave her for 3 hours, especially after she has been so stressed she shat herself.....absolutely outrageous!

These people were both incompetent and abusive.