H s t

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I know this has probably been talked to death, but:

Just on a personal level.

Filled up with gas...........hst = 6.70
Bell Tell..........................hst = 10.00 approx.
House Ins.............up 9.00 / mo...............hst
And on it goes:

Do the math.

In Ottawa alone, how many cars, houses, purchases...............per day.??

The govt. is going to glean billions from this.

Where is the money going to go??

Frightening.

Anyone have any ideas.??

Kudos to the folks in BC who at least drove the corrupt idiot out of office.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sigh. Fantastic.

The real differences that you're going to notice under a harmonised sales tax are really not as dramatic as the mainstream media would have you believe. If Ontarians and British Columbians educated themselves more completely on what the HST is, and how most purchases were already taxed at the same percentage (just split between two levels of goverment), much of the "whining" would go away. The administrative and cost-saving advantages at the provincial level are reason enough to hold on to a blended tax scheme; we can only hope that the referendum set for September of 2011 is soundly defeated by an educated electorate.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sigh. Fantastic.

The real differences that you're going to notice under a harmonised sales tax are really not as dramatic as the mainstream media would have you believe. If Ontarians and British Columbians educated themselves more completely on what the HST is, and how most purchases were already taxed at the same percentage (just split between two levels of goverment), much of the "whining" would go away. The administrative and cost-saving advantages at the provincial level are reason enough to hold on to a blended tax scheme; we can only hope that the referendum set for September of 2011 is soundly defeated by an educated electorate.

Many items & services which we previously paid only provincial (ontario) sales tax on previously now are now included in the HST "bundle". You are really naive, Five if you think there is any benefit to the consumer out of this scheme. It simplifies businesses bookkeeping at the expense of the consumer, and no, I have not seen any savings passed down either.

Your referendum will make swift work of that tax looking at the number of people who signed the petition.

Your schilling for the Liberals never ends, eh?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Sigh. Fantastic.

Maritimers have had the HST since 1997..... most around here still hate it and most around here are still waiting to see the benefits from this lame ass tax.

There is a reason why they stopped calling it the BST tax around here (The Blended Sales Tax) because too many people were going around calling it the "Bullsh*t Tax"

Now it's the fluffy "Harmonized Sales Tax"...... aw.... The word Harmony makes everything better. :roll:

You argue that "MOST" products were taxed by both older taxes anyways..... but that's the thing..... it was some or most..... NOT ALL

And that's where they get you with this tax. You save 1 or 2% of tax on the products that were taxed both the PST and GST..... but all the other products that only had one or the other tax on them just increased 5-7% more in tax and therefore you're not saving a damn thing..... you're paying more in tax overall.

The biggest issue here in the Maritimes when the HST was brought up was the high tax on home heating oil and other important things most home owners spent a lot of money on..... so the idea the Liberals brought up was that they would introduce this HST idea on all products that were charged both the PST and GST and drop the tax from 7%+11%=18% Total Tax..... to a flat 15% tax. (At the time)

Sounded good in theory.... except the original problem with high costs on home heating wasn't solved and that oil that was only charged one tax, was now taxed even more, thus people were paying more for the thing they said they wanted to pay less on.

^ And because of this along with a long list of blunders that arose from this HST crap, the Liberals haven't lead the provincial government since and have been stuck in 3rd place behind the NDP until the NDP took power recently.

People are still "whining" over it 13 years later..... and if it wasn't such a horrible idea, why did the Liberals here get punished for so long and not given a leadership since they gave it too us?

You may hope for the referendum to fail and you might finger point at others not knowing wtf they're talking about..... but speaking as someone who's actually lived with the HST for 13 years, I'd safely say that I know more about wtf I'm talking about then you do...... and I hope the referendum passes and they drop this stupid tax grab.... because it doesn't improve a damn thing..... prices do not go down and businesses do not pass along their savings from this tax.... they just keep their prices the same, add the higher tax on their products and pocket whatever profit they'd make.

Sure.... it's great for the greedy, selfish business man out for his own personal interests in profit...... but for every other citizen out there who has to live paycheque to paycheque..... they're getting nowhere fast and losing more money then ever before.

That's how it is..... and that's how it will remain while this HST remains in place.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I already posted the positive effects it had for the Maritimes the last time this came up, it was obviously ignored.

Here in Ontario not only do buisnesses benefit we got an income tax cut last January to compensate for it.

Move on.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is a reason why they stopped calling it the BST tax around here ...

Yes, because the HST came into effect almost 14 years ago, and the consumer price index fell after the HST was implemented, business investment went up, and the Province grew...

Nobody remembers it as the Bull$hit Tax anymore, because it wasn't a big deal, except to create a more robust economy. Yeah, that's really why nobody calls it Bull $hit.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
80% were taxed. 20% weren't. 20% is not an insignificant amount. I'd like to see any product or service that is now cheaper pre-tax than it was prior to the HST.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Now the Feds get another 6% every time a used car is sold. Try buying a house now, and compare the tax. People in Ontario who shrug their shoulders are complete idiots. Its time to toss Mr. McGuinty out on his ear. His record is riddled with scandal and and lies.

McGuinty looked the other way in Caledonia while ordinary citizens were harrassed and beaten by thugs. Apparently he didn't want to look bad after all the ****e he raised over Ipperwash.

McGuinty raises taxes on cigarettes (which I don't have a problem with) but again looks the other way and the counterfeit cigarette Industry takes off. Young people are targeted by these criminals, but again the McGuinty government looks the other way because he doesn't want to look bad after all the ****e he raised over Ipperwash.

In his first term election McGuinty said "No new taxes! I mean it." He then implements the healthcare tax.

Second term election McGuinty said. "No new taxes, I really mean it this time." Then he sneaks in a landfill tax for all electronics and cozies up to the idea of the HST. Along with the impending HST they implement a new program devised to attach costs to everything and anything that is deemed non-renewable. This implementation almost leads to an outright revolt and the McGuinty goivernment retreats, for the time being.

Hydro prices in Ontario are set to skyrocket, coupled with the HST and all those yummy new taxes for both the fed and the provionce.

McGuinty settles a class action law suit out of court and during a parliamentary break with a non disclosure clause with the homeowners who were abandoned and abused during the inaction of the McGuinty Government and the OPP Police Chief Julian Fantino at Caledonia.

How much? Your guess is as goods as mine. A Lot!

Fantino is now running for the Fed in Vaughan as a Conservative.

Hey Vaughan don't vote him in he's a sell out!

Businesses are now fitted with the smart meter which is set to go active very soon. While you or I might be able to adjust how we do laundry, small businesses that provide daytime service will be hard hit by this new latest cash grab and they'll suck some mucho grand HST dollars of them as well.

What will suffer as a result of all of the whiny costs, manufacturing, Real Estate, Small Business, Employment.

It is time for a change of Government in the Province of Ontario before this inept idiot and his bag of Cronies drive it further into a recession than it already is.

I'll say this. At least the people in British Columbia had the Gonads to try and do something about it, even if it failed at least they tried.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I already posted the positive effects it had for the Maritimes the last time this came up, it was obviously ignored.

They weren't ignored, in fact they were destroyed & refuted by not just myself but others in here..... the evidence the Liberals tried to use to prove their HST plans worked was the increase in business in the area around the same time they introduced it...... yet they ignore the fact that the offshore projects we're just getting into full swing around the same time which attributed to that factor..... not the HST.

And besides greedy businessmen not passing their savings onto their customers, nobody's quality of life improved at all from introducing the HST...... everybody still pays more for more things, while paying a a buck or two less on far fewer things.

Here in Ontario not only do buisnesses benefit we got an income tax cut last January to compensate for it.

Move on.

It's a tossed bone and doesn't "Compensate" for all the additional tax you pay into every product you purchase each year, but if you want to keep imagining that it equals out for you, go right ahead..... who am I to ruin someone's personal delusions?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yes, because the HST came into effect almost 14 years ago, and the consumer price index fell after the HST was implemented, business investment went up, and the Province grew...

Nobody remembers it as the Bull$hit Tax anymore, because it wasn't a big deal, except to create a more robust economy. Yeah, that's really why nobody calls it Bull $hit.

Plenty around where I live do..... I do.....

And in regards to the "Province Grew" see my above response to Avro on that, or look at the facts I posted in the previous thread about this topic a couple of months ago. The province was already in a stage of growth due to other projects already turning out, but the Liberals tried to claim it had to do with the HST...... nobody bought it and they were canned from leading our government..... which they haven't lead since.

More robust economy..... cripes that's a laugh and a half.

If it truly made things around here so wonderful and great, I probably wouldn't be moving to another country to find a decent job I can live off of....... there wouldn't be so many from here flying off to Alberta to work in the oil sands...... we probably wouldn't have 14,000 children still living in poverty here:

14,000 children in Nova Scotia still living in poverty is 14,000 too many
14,000 children in Nova Scotia still living in poverty is 14,000 too many | Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

When you have low-income & middle-income families paying around 7-8% more tax on items that once only had one tax on them but now have two taxes minus 2% points, it is directly linked and contributes to poverty in the province..... because those families then have to seek out provincial services and support in order to help make ends meet...... the more people you have living in poverty, the larger the drain is on the economy.

But you can keep living in your magical land of make believe that everything around here is hunky dory and our economy and quality of life is just as par as every other province in the country.

Ah, don't worry, the GST in Australia is only 10%.

Considering my pay will practically double from what I'm getting now in Nova Scotia for half the work I'm doing now.... I'm not concerned..... and 10% tax on a product is still better then 15%..... or 13%..... or 11%.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Move on.

That income tax cute does not nearly make up for the additional costs associated with the new tax. The HST will be a major factor in the upcoming election and a likely reason for the conservatives coming to power in Ontario.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Can you post these positive effects for those of us still on this fence about this?

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How Ontario HST Will Affect Consumers | Canadian tax tips

These products and services were only GST (5%) taxable and now they will be HST (13%) taxable:

• Dry Cleaning Service
  • Electricity and Heating (e.g., Natural Gas/Oil for Home)
  • Internet Access Services
  • Home Service Calls by Electrician/Plumber/Carpenter to Maintain or Repair Furnace, Leaky Faucets, Bathtub, Toilet, Electrical Wiring, etc.
  • Landscaping, Lawn-Care and Private Snow Removal
  • Taxis
  • Campsites
  • Domestic Air, Rail and Bus Travel originating in Ontario
  • Gasoline/Diesel
  • Real Estate Commissions
  • Massage Therapy Services
  • Vitamins
  • Green Fees for Golf
  • Gym and Athletic Membership Fees
  • Ballet, Karate, Trampoline, Hockey, Soccer Lessons, etc. (some could be HST-exempt if provided by a public service body to children age 14 and under and underprivileged individuals with a disability)
  • Tickets for Live Theatre with Less Than 3,200 Seats (some could be exempt if maximum admission charged by a public service body is $1 or less, if the admissions are made in the course of the fundraising events where charitable receipts for income tax purposes may be issued, or admissions are to amateur performances).
  • Hockey Rink and Hall Rental Fees
  • Fitness Trainer
  • Hair Stylist/Barber
  • Esthetician Services (e.g. Manicures, Pedicures, Facials)
  • Funeral Services
  • Accounting, Bookkeeping, Tax preparation Services
  • Legal Fees
  • Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Purchases
  • Nicotine Replacement Products
  • Hunting and Fishing Licenses
Goods and services whose cost will increase by 3%:
Hotel Rooms (you were paying 5% GST and 5% PST, now you’ll have to pay 13%)
Goods and services whose cost will increase by 5%:
Private Resale of Car (including Registration): There was no GST on private resale of your car, only 8% PST, and, yes, there will be no HST. Well to make the car dealers happy: “…to help ensure a level playing field between sales by dealerships and private sales” Ontario will maintain PST on private sales and will increase it to 13%.
New Homes
The cost of new homes will increase by 8% (HST instead of GST only), but there will be the new housing rebate and new rental homes rebate for landlords

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
How Ontario HST Will Affect Consumers | Canadian tax tips

These products and services were only GST (5%) taxable and now they will be HST (13%) taxable:

• Dry Cleaning Service
  • Electricity and Heating (e.g., Natural Gas/Oil for Home)
  • Internet Access Services
  • Home Service Calls by Electrician/Plumber/Carpenter to Maintain or Repair Furnace, Leaky Faucets, Bathtub, Toilet, Electrical Wiring, etc.
  • Landscaping, Lawn-Care and Private Snow Removal
  • Taxis
  • Campsites
  • Domestic Air, Rail and Bus Travel originating in Ontario
  • Gasoline/Diesel
  • Real Estate Commissions
  • Massage Therapy Services
  • Vitamins
  • Green Fees for Golf
  • Gym and Athletic Membership Fees
  • Ballet, Karate, Trampoline, Hockey, Soccer Lessons, etc. (some could be HST-exempt if provided by a public service body to children age 14 and under and underprivileged individuals with a disability)
  • Tickets for Live Theatre with Less Than 3,200 Seats (some could be exempt if maximum admission charged by a public service body is $1 or less, if the admissions are made in the course of the fundraising events where charitable receipts for income tax purposes may be issued, or admissions are to amateur performances).
  • Hockey Rink and Hall Rental Fees
  • Fitness Trainer
  • Hair Stylist/Barber
  • Esthetician Services (e.g. Manicures, Pedicures, Facials)
  • Funeral Services
  • Accounting, Bookkeeping, Tax preparation Services
  • Legal Fees
  • Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Purchases
  • Nicotine Replacement Products
  • Hunting and Fishing Licenses
Goods and services whose cost will increase by 3%:
Hotel Rooms (you were paying 5% GST and 5% PST, now you’ll have to pay 13%)
Goods and services whose cost will increase by 5%:
Private Resale of Car (including Registration): There was no GST on private resale of your car, only 8% PST, and, yes, there will be no HST. Well to make the car dealers happy: “…to help ensure a level playing field between sales by dealerships and private sales” Ontario will maintain PST on private sales and will increase it to 13%.
New Homes
The cost of new homes will increase by 8% (HST instead of GST only), but there will be the new housing rebate and new rental homes rebate for landlords

And how much of that wonderful tax rebate will cover the amount of the taxes up there they'll gain.

Let's face facts people.... the government doesn't introduce taxes to save us money, they only introduce a tax that in the long run, will benefit them in a way that gives them more money.... not us.... otherwise what's in it for them?

Let's say they do introduce a tax that somehow ends up saving us all a bunch of money so we can afford other things in life..... that means the system they had before this new tax will be gone..... if it saves us all kinds of money, then logically they're losing out on all kinds of money and thus, in order to cover their yearly expenses they'd normally pay off with their old system, they have to now find other avenues to get that money from......

..... and why waste their time and energy trying to solve that problem when they can just turn around and give us this stupid tax and fluff it up by saying that it will save us money and make some more expensive products cheaper..... but neglect to inform us of all the other things that will go up in cost, and thus..... more money for them.

..... They'll tell us it will save businesses money and therefore, drop the costs of their products by a lot...... but that's just dry humping us because they have no way to force businesses to drop their costs...... they just assume they will, or give us the impression that they will, but they're under no obligation to do a damn thing and as proven in Nova Scotia, Very little dropped in price at all, in fact, more products increased in cost (and that's not including the new higher tax on top)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Not only was that a good article, but the comments after it, were excellent. Did you read them all? Not everyone swallows government bullshyte as well as you. In fact you seem to enjoy the taste.

lf you are in business for yourself, give us some examples of where you have benefited from the HST.

Short of perhaps giving you an excuse to reduce your employees wages, I very much doubt you are a tax supporter.

Didn't see the thread about this a couple of months ago. If you don't like the fact I started another one, go and cry to Andem or some other mod, and perhaps they will "combine" them. Just for little you.

.........troll on.