Elderly ER patient dies after 6-hour wait

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CBC News - Montreal - Elderly ER patient dies after 6-hour wait

The family of a Montreal woman who died after waiting six hours in the emergency ward of St-Luc Hospital is filing a complaint against the hospital

Thérèse de Repentigny, 78, died at the hospital last Tuesday.

Her daughter, Fernande Blais, was with de Repentigny in the emergency room and said hospital staff ignored her, despite her complaints of severe stomach pain.

After the initial triage assessment, Blais said, her mother waited six hours without anyone from the hospital checking her condition, during which time her pain became unbearable.

Blais said her mother asked for medicine to help ease the pain but was told to wait her turn. Not long after that, she was pronounced dead.

A shocked Blais said that what made it even harder was that someone from the hospital told her that if her mother had received treatment earlier, she might still be alive. Blais said the family is considering taking legal action.

Hospital spokeswoman Lucie Dufresne said an internal investigation is underway.

"What the ombudsman is going to do will help understand exactly what happened, but that person has 45 days to do the report, and we have to wait on that report," Dufresne said.

The specific cause of de Repentigny's death isn't known, but an autopsy report is expected to be made public Tuesday.

This sort of thing seems to happen a lot in Montreal...... maybe somebody needs to tell them in Montreal that it's a Hospital, not the damn DMV.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This sort of thing happens a lot, but not just in Montreal. I remember reading somewhere that a fellow had passed away in the waiting room after sitting there for several hours. I believe there was a video clip with the article. I am not sure the resolution to that story, but I know that it was a couple of years ago.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
This sort of thing happens a lot, but not just in Montreal. I remember reading somewhere that a fellow had passed away in the waiting room after sitting there for several hours. I believe there was a video clip with the article. I am not sure the resolution to that story, but I know that it was a couple of years ago.

Are you talking about that case of the homeless guy who was left in the ER for 34 hours before someone decided to check on him only to find out he died hours ago?

Homeless man died after 34 hours in Winnipeg ER
Homeless man died after 34 hours in Winnipeg ER | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Sure this thing has occurred elsewhere in the country, but in the last couple of years alone, I think this is the third case of someone dying in a Montreal Hospital or almost dying due to either being ignored or some other form of negligence..... the last one was a woman ending up having to deliver her own baby on her own which ended up stillborn.

Montreal hospital apologizes for unattended stillborn birth
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/s...rriage-stillborn-royal-victoria-hospital.html

.....Eliza Abbaszadeh, 31, said she went to the hospital 12 days ago when she started experiencing abdominal pain just 15 weeks into her pregnancy. She said she waited three hours in the emergency room before a doctor told her the fetus had died, and sent her home.

The next day, Abbaszadeh’s water broke and she went back to the hospital with her husband, knowing she would miscarry her baby.

Abbaszadeh said they were placed in a room and were stunned at what happened next.

“Nobody came, even to check us. I delivered the baby, the dead baby alone, just in the presence of my husband. And he was the one who was cleaning all the blood,” said Abbaszadeh.......
And this:

Hospital making changes after dad delivers baby
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20090604/montreal_baby_090604/

......At midnight on May 13, Lachapelle was given medication to prepare her for labour later into the day.

"I thought, 'oh that's good. We're going to rest at night and tomorrow I'm going to have a big day.' But it kind of went much quicker than we thought," she said.

Within four-and-a-half hours, Lachapelle started having hyper-contractions.

Schouls, 40, said he rang for a nurse several times.

"The nurse came by the door and poked her head inside and said, 'I'll be with you in a little bit,"' Schouls told The Canadian Press.

Ten minutes later, the nurse still hadn't returned and Lachapelle's labour pains had intensified. Lachapelle told Schouls she could feel the head.

After hearing his son cry and making sure he was breathing okay, Schouls said he left the room to search for help.

Despite the unique delivery, Schouls said his son is doing fine. "We're thankful that everything went well," he said.

"Sometimes babies don't breathe on their own and we're very fortunate. Heaven forbid this happens to someone else and they have the opposite."
What's the moral of the story?

Avoid Montreal Hospitals because you'd be better off figuring out your health problems on your own...... which you'd be doing anyways even if you did go to a Montreal Hospital.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Wasn't there a woman in PEI who miscarried last summer while waiting in the ER and being ignored?

Can't say I recall that one.... the only case of a miscarriage/stillborn in a hospital I heard of from last summer was my second linked article above in my last post, which occurred in July of 2009...... or are you referring to this past summer?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Woman dies in hospital ER- waiting six hours

17/11/2010 11:30:00 AM
by Sameer Vasta
The case of an elderly woman dying in a hospital emergency room after waiting six hours to see a doctor is stirring up a debate about the efficacy of our much-lauded health care system, and rightfully so.

Last Tuesday, Therese de Repentigny, a 78-year-old Montreal woman, was taken to a hospital emergency room after complaining of pain. There, she was seen by a triage nurse and then told to wait.
So she waited. And as the hours passed, both de Repentigny and her daughter regularly asked when they would be able to see a doctor. The answer remained the same: wait.
Six hours later, as de Repentigny got up to use the bathroom (still not having seen a doctor), she collapsed to the floor. Only then did doctors arrive to treat her, and de Repentigny passed away shortly after that.
An elderly woman complaining of pain waited for six hours in a hospital emergency room without medical care before she died — and an inquiry is underway to see if a lack of adequate care contributed to her death. This isn't the first time such an incident has been reported in Canadian hospitals: two years ago, a homeless man with a bladder infection spent 34 hours without medical care before dying in the ER waiting room.
Canada's universal health care program is lauded around the world as an example of a state-funded and state-run health program that works, and works well. Stories like that of de Repentigny and other tales of hospital wait-time woes are slowly dismantling the illusion of a perfectly-run system.
If Canada is to continue to lead in universal health care and to set an example on how access-for-all health care can be done effectively and efficiently, hospital and ER wait times is an issue that must be fixed, and fixed immediately.
The most obvious solution to the wait-time conundrum is simple: hire more doctors. According to a recent OECD report, Canada has 2.2 physicians per 1000 people, lower than all G8 countries except for Japan. Hiring doctors, however, is more complicated than it seems; with tightening budgets and a lack of resources in certain parts of the country, adding more doctors to an ER's roster may not be feasible.
The less obvious solution may work best in the interim: if we can't boost supply, we should reduce demand. By investing in prevention, homecare, targeted clinics, online and telephone health services, and community-driven health care groups, the government can reduce the pressure put on emergency rooms — in essence, having them deal with critical emergencies rather than being catch-all places for all health care issues.
Steps in this direction are already underway. Now, we just need to educate the general public to learn more about the health services in their areas so that they can use those resources instead of simply turning to the local hospital ER.
These programs won't solve emergency room wait times, but should alleviate some of the struggles that hospitals are currently facing — and hopefully the reprieve will let our country's health care stay robust while we figure out ways to make sure it doesn't crack under pressure.

Pity...