CBC News - Canada - Canada's Afghan mission might be extended
The Harper government is considering a proposal that would keep hundreds of Canadian troops in Afghanistan until 2014 in a non-combat, training role, The Canadian Press has learned.
The move would extend Canada's military presence in Afghanistan three years past the July 2011 withdrawal deadline set by Parliament, but would remove troops from the front lines of fighting.
It is under consideration because the Conservative government faces international pressure — publicly and privately — to leave behind at least a contingent of military trainers to help address a shortfall in the NATO-led mission.
Well-placed sources have told The Canadian Press they expect Prime Minister Stephen Harper to make a decision soon on a proposal that would send up to 600 troops to Kabul to continue NATO training efforts. The Canadian personnel would not be involved in combat operations.
"Regardless of Afghanistan, Canada has an obligation to NATO," said one of the sources, adding it would be "inconceivable that the prime minister would not take that into consideration."
Sources said Harper could make a decision as early as this week in order to take the issue off the table before he attends the NATO leaders summit in Lisbon on Nov. 18.
John Manley, the former Liberal deputy prime minister who headed Harper's independent panel on Afghanistan, confirmed in an interview that he had been briefed on the proposal. He said the training mission is a good fit for Canada after so many hard years of fighting in Kandahar.
"I think it's the right thing. It would be unfortunate to take everybody out and say, 'That's done,"' said Manley, whose panel paved the way for the parliamentary extension of the combat mission to 2011.Pressure mounting for government to define post-2011 plan
The House of Commons motion calls for Canada's current contingent of 3,000 military personnel to cease combat operations next year in the volatile southern province of Kandahar, and Harper has made it clear there will be no extension.
But pressure has been mounting inside Canada and in the international community for the government to more clearly define its post-2011 plan for Afghanistan. The Liberal opposition, which favours a training role, has called for a parliamentary debate.
Until now, the Conservative government has only said that Canada's diplomatic and development efforts would continue.
Harper spokesman Dimitri Soudas confirmed Sunday the government is now "considering the options to provide aid, development and behind-the-wire training in a non-combat role."
One source said that even though the Canadian public's appetite to keep soldiers in Afghanistan may not be as strong as it once was, the fact that the Liberal opposition backs a training role for the military should offer Harper some political cover.
Liberal sources said Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon broached the idea of a post-2011 training mission with Liberal foreign affairs critic Bob Rae over the weekend. The discussion was general and Liberals are awaiting the details before committing to support the move.
In addition to a continuing role in training, development and aid, the Liberals are likely to insist that the government appoint a special envoy to Afghanistan to boost diplomatic efforts.
The future of NATO's involvement in Afghanistan was a hot topic over the weekend at the Halifax International Security Forum, where hundreds of foreign politicians, diplomats, academics and others gathered for a three-day symposium.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay, who hosted the meeting, confirmed Sunday that Canada is considering allied requests to keep troops in Afghanistan past 2011 to conduct non-combat training missions.
MacKay would not divulge details, including potential numbers of troops. But he stressed they would not be involved in continued fighting.
"It would be behind the wire, outside of Kandahar," said MacKay. "In that context, that's what we're contemplating.
No matter where you are in Afghanistan, there's going to be fighting, there's going to be combat, and behind the wire or not, our troops will still be required to defend themselves.... thus to claim their "Combat" operations will end by 2011 is a bit of a vague statement, especially now that they're planning to keep our troops there for longer.
Doesn't really surprise me though.... they extended the mission there more then once and the public won't tolerate another extension doing the exact same thing.... so they're going to extend it again, but with a minor twist in words, which basically means the exact same thing.
Part of training Afghans in combat is to go out with the Afghans during combat. Previous details on "Training" Afghan forces, both military and police, involved going out on combat operations with the Afghans, send them off to do the work, but be prepared to enter the combat if they require help.
Is this going to change and are our troops now going to just sit in their comfy, "Safe" areas of the country and wait to hear how their trained troops did when they come back after the combat operation?
I doubt it.