Khadr to serve 8 years, may return to Canada in 1 year

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Khadr to serve 8 years, may return to Canada in 1 year
Posted via Canadian Content

Canadian-born child soldier Omar Khadr has been sentenced by U.S. military court to 8 years in custody after a plea bargain saw him plead guilty for war crimes.

Khadr looked start ahead when the judge sentenced him to 8 years, finally putting an end to the case flooding the news media for the past several years. The man, a 15-year old boy when he was picked up in Afghanistan is the son of a major al-Quada figure. He was severely wounded when the Americans picked him up.

His guily plea was to 5 war crimes including murder by throwing a grenade killing a U.S. forces doctor, Sergeant Christopher Speer.

Omar Khadr has also acknowledged to planting 10 roadside bombs, knowing very well that civilians might be injured or killed. He has also admitted to being a member of al-Quada.

After serving 1 year of his sentence in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, he could be returned to Canada to finish his sentence off. Serving in Canada gives the high possibility of an early parole. Melissa Lantsman, a foreign affairs spokesperson refused to speculate on the case and Khadr's return to Canada, claiming he would be treated like any other Canadian abroad.

The conservative government and PM Harper have continued to refuse the request of the return of Khadr, whose family is viewed as a group of terrorists.

Before arranging a plea deal with prosecutors, 24-year old Khadr could have faced a life sentence in jail.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/khadr-serve-years-may-return-canada-year_1020.html

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would hardly call the Khadrs Canadian. It's obvious none of them ever integrated into Canadian culture nor benefited this country to any degree. Is this the result of poor immigration screening procedures?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully he can be salvaged, not holding my breath on it but the rest of his family should be held responsible for turning him into the thing he's become.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hopefully he can be salvaged, not holding my breath on it but the rest of his family should be held responsible for turning him into the thing he's become.

I think your "hope" is very remote. It would be appropriate to hold his family responsible but it may inflame the situation further. I am really at a loss regarding how Khadr can be successfully reprogrammed without completely changing and rebuilding this individual.

The mentality is kinda reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

Dilettante

Oct 7, 2010
Quebec
1st off: This guy is no saint and not blameless for his actions. He certainly didn't uphold the qualities that make me a proud Canadian. However, his age at the time of his capture and the indoctrination he surely faced at a younger age surely should grant him considerations not granted to adult combatants.

This kid was captured on a foreign battlefield, it seems strange that anyone could define him as anything other than a soldier (not to mention a child soldier). Now whether you define him as an enemy soldier or an independent criminal it is difficult to argue that his rights were not violated which ever way you go. That being said, Canada was well aware of these activities and would certainly have had their citizen returned had they merely asked. Therefore, Canada is primarily responsible for his previous treatment as well as anything that happens going forward.

We should be ashamed of ourselves. While certainly not a model citizen he IS a citizen and therefore our responsibility. His crimes may be reprehensible but that is no excuse not to stand up for what is right. We gotta stay better than them or we don't have a moral leg to stand on.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Came across this in my travels today, very eloquent summation:

She unwillingly abandoned her land for this land because her husband wanted to freeload from here in order to support their wretched cause, which is NUKE Western civilization as we know it, to plunge the world into the darkness of some tortured brutal version of an eastern religion so brutal that men are afraid to shave, women are afraid to show their faces, a place where there is no music, no dance, no trace of Judaeo Chistian values, no rule of law, not our kind of law that they are now using to blindfold us…The Khadrs fondest fantasy is a world which moves from Oh Canada to NO Canada.

Read it all:
charlesadler.com: Dear Prime Minister

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Came across this in my travels today, very eloquent summation:

She unwillingly abandoned her land for this land because her husband wanted to freeload from here in order to support their wretched cause, which is NUKE Western civilization as we know it, to plunge the world into the darkness of some tortured brutal version of an eastern religion so brutal that men are afraid to shave, women are afraid to show their faces, a place where there is no music, no dance, no trace of Judaeo Chistian values, no rule of law, not our kind of law that they are now using to blindfold us…The Khadrs fondest fantasy is a world which moves from Oh Canada to NO Canada.

Read it all:
charlesadler.com: Dear Prime Minister

Right on!!!