'War on drugs a war on minorities'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Civil liberties groups in California are urging an end to the war on drugs because of the racial disparities inherent in the battle. (Eric Risberg / AP)

'War on drugs a war on minorities' - World - TheChronicleHerald.ca

WASHINGTON — The state of California could vote next week to legalize, regulate and tax marijuana, a move that some suggest could not only blaze a trail for more liberal weed laws across the country but also obliterate a longtime racial injustice.

A recent study found that from 2006 to 2008, police in 25 of the state’s major cities arrested blacks at four to 12 times the rate of whites. That’s despite several federal government studies that suggest fewer African-Americans smoke marijuana than whites.

The study, conducted by the California chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the pro-legalization group, Drug Policy Alliance, concluded that marijuana arrests are racially biased because police focus on high-crime, low-income neighbourhoods often populated by African-Americans.

Such revelations have prompted the American Civil Liberties Union to push for passage of Proposition 19, a measure that would make it legal for any Californian over the age of 21 to possess an ounce, or 28 grams of marijuana while also giving the green light to cities and counties to regulate and tax commercial sales of weed.

"The war on drugs has become a war on minorities," the ACLU wrote Monday to Eric Holder, the U.S. attorney general.

The organization added that "the historical and racially disparate enforcement of marijuana laws is a primary reason" behind its support of Proposition 19.

The letter urged Holder against making good on his threat to vigorously enforce federal laws, including suing to overturn Proposition 19, in the event that California finds itself "up in smoke" after next week’s congressional elections.

Joycelyn Elders, the African-American former surgeon general under president Bill Clinton, has also urged an end to the war on drugs due to the racial disparities inherent in the battle.

"We are spending billions of dollars each year for a war on drugs, but it has been a war on young black males . . . and it’s time for us to end that war," Elders said in a recent interview.

At a weekend news conference that featured celebrities in favour of Proposition 19, actor Danny Glover said he’d personally been affected by the war on drugs because of his race.

"I come from first-hand experience in my own family, because I’ve had brothers that have been arrested for marijuana use," he said.

Glover is among dozens of celebrities, law enforcement officials and even social media founders who have been throwing their weight and their cash behind Proposition 19, although it’s apparently been to little effect.

Support for the measure is slipping steadily in public opinion polls despite having a commanding lead late last month. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is opposed to the measure. In an effort to turn the tide, the Yes side went to the airwaves on Monday in Los Angeles with its first television commercial. The spot features Joseph McNamara, the former San Jose police chief, declaring forcefully that "the war on marijuana has failed."

It’s time to legalize the substance, McNamara adds, "to allow police to focus on violent crimes and put drug cartels out of business."

Facebook co-founder Sean Parker recently contributed US$100,000 to the campaign for Proposition 19. His fellow co-founder, Dustin Moskovitz, has made two donations totalling $70,000.

Sitting beside Glover, singer Melissa Etheridge also urged its passage, telling the news conference that she relied on marijuana to combat the side effects of chemotherapy during her recent battle against cancer.

Edgar M. Bronfman, part of Canada’s Seagram liquor dynasty, recently urged Californians to pass Proposition 19, likening marijuana policy to the draconian prohibition laws of the 1920s.

Also from the link: "Edgar M. Bronfman, part of Canada’s Seagram liquor dynasty, recently urged Californians to pass Proposition 19, likening marijuana policy to the draconian prohibition laws of the 1920s."

^ Which they were and still are, and to note specifically from the above:

"The war on drugs has become a war on minorities"

Funny, I thought it always was a war on minorities, since the whole reason why the War on Drugs began was to make sure minorities didn't make any sort of living from growing marijuana and other drugs.

It'd be nice to see this pass, but I of course have my doubts..... and even if it did pass, chances are the idiots in government and other organizations that would lose money from it being legalized will somehow force it back into failure shortly after it passed.

Kind of like how Marijuana was decriminalized here for like.... what..... a couple of days before they re-criminalized it again due to US pressure.

Back when we were going to decriminalize it, the Bush administration threatened to tighten up border security, do more checks and turn travel & business between Canada and the US into a crawl..... so our government folded and re-criminalized it.

Then of course due to the whole terrorism fear mongering and claims that the 9/11 terrorists came from Canada, they tightened border security anyways.

Bravo.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's decriminalized here in Massachusetts.

C'mon down here and blaze Prax. The most you'll get is a fine which nobody pays anyways.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I find it interesting that various crimes are now becoming impossible for the police to deal with because that's discrimination and racism.

So far, it's not only illegal immigration, but now drug crimes.

If we're lucky, we can get speeding classed as a young white man's crime, so enforcing those laws would be discrimination. Drinking and driving is probably more of a middle-aged man type of crime, so that will always be a crime.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I like this chomsky quote best on the subject:
--
U.S. domestic drug policy does not carry out its stated goals, and policymakers are well aware of that. If it isn't about reducing substance abuse, what is it about? It is reasonably clear, both from current actions and the historical record, that substances tend to be criminalized when they are associated with the so-called dangerous classes, that the criminalization of certain substances is a technique of social control.[91]

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I find it interesting that various crimes are now becoming impossible for the police to deal with because that's discrimination and racism.

So far, it's not only illegal immigration, but now drug crimes.

If we're lucky, we can get speeding classed as a young white man's crime, so enforcing those laws would be discrimination. Drinking and driving is probably more of a middle-aged man type of crime, so that will always be a crime.

Badabing.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I wouldn't make the sweeping generalization that all crimes are misguided attempts to single out a specific group of individuals. That said, there is well documented history confirming both pot and hemp were made illegal to keep the black man down. Welcome to America.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Most of the war on any crime is a war on some sort of minority; either ethnic, social, or both. In general the so-called "underclass" has always been the greatest source of crime. In the US African-Americans have always had higher crime rates and imprisonment rates than other groups. There is nothing really new here except to place a racial slant on the crime rate.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Worst of all, the war on drugs is a war on sanity. You can't declare war on a social condition.
Minorities are affected I can buy into a bit of that, but even more so, it is really a control method
to still hold a hammer on the youth of the day. Once booze was the issue and is becoming a
target again. They have a chip in televisions which is a joke, because the kids know someone
in the neighbourhood who has a TV without the chip. They made cigarettes illegal to all under
19, I wonder if the desired affect is realized. The show stats, that claim teen smoking is down.
nonsense. If you survey kids and ask them if they are engaging in an illegal act most are going
to lie to you. They say they don't smoke, even if the truth is something else. Police have the
drug angle as a tool, for control other suspected crimes as well.
I do concede, there is a disproportionate number of minorities caught up in the drug trade.
Is that because they are doing all the drugs, or only those being investigated? That is at the
heart of the matter and no one knows for sure at this point, it is only speculation as there could
be all kinds of reasons for more minorities being arrested.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I wouldn't make the sweeping generalization that all crimes are misguided attempts to single out a specific group of individuals. That said, there is well documented history confirming both pot and hemp were made illegal to keep the black man down. Welcome to America.

Indeed.... they're not fighting to legalize crack, heroin, cocaine, opium and the sort..... this is a specific fight for a specific substance, with specific reasons and justifications, with specific trends that were trends that existed since they first made this specific substance illegal.

It was always about race when it was first banned.... it's well documented during the time.

They made alcohol illegal and because so many of the white society fought back, made their own, or simply drank it anyways, they eventually realized they were creating more crimes and more danger for everyone and they couldn't continue to fight everybody, especially hard working white folk who pay their taxes.

But the minorities and weed?

Black people couldn't take a friggin dump in the same bathroom as white people in the 60's..... just imagine what it was like back when they banned marijuana and the mentality against black people at that time. Blacks having a good time and possibly making their own money from an easily grown substance that the government couldn't figure out how to regulate, control, and tax??

I'm sure it wasn't easy for black people to make their way into a liquor store back then, let alone afford something decent to drink..... but they have weed and all they needed were seeds, dirt, water and sun.

Put two and two together and you begin to see that not only were the original reasons for banning marijuana a farce with baseless justifications, the propaganda used at the time to scare people into thinking marijuana was evil, dangerous and drive you insane, not to mention make you into an uncontrollable sex maniac who'll go out and kill people randomly and violate their bodies (look it up) was total BS, and the continued War on Drugs is just an extension of all that in order to maintain the fight that "The Government is Always Right"

And the more years go by, the more people begin to realize just how dumb they look by continuing to maintain this front and clinging onto old propaganda which was proven to be lies and baseless by numerous studies over the years, especially in the last couple of decades.

Most of the war on any crime is a war on some sort of minority; either ethnic, social, or both. In general the so-called "underclass" has always been the greatest source of crime. In the US African-Americans have always had higher crime rates and imprisonment rates than other groups. There is nothing really new here except to place a racial slant on the crime rate.

Spouting off statistics doesn't tell anybody anything that really matters.

The so-called "Underclass" has always been the greatest source of crime...... ok..... Why?

African Americans in the US have always had a higher crime rate then other groups...... ok........ Why??

Understanding that the Sun rises and sets each day is one thing....... knowing why it rises and sets each day tells a person much much more.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The study, conducted by the California chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the pro-legalization group, Drug Policy Alliance, concluded that marijuana arrests are racially biased because police focus on high-crime, low-income neighbourhoods often populated by African-Americans.

Totally ridiculous!!! Why aren't the police focusing on low crime areas?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Totally ridiculous!!! Why aren't the police focusing on low crime areas?

Actually, when it comes to pot, they are. As the article states, white people use it more, yet minorities are convicted of it more often. Part of the issue comes when you're incarcerating such a large portion of your population for something that so many of your tax base are guilty of.

So why aren't they storming the richer white areas to get to the bottom of these drug issues? The honest answer is that they aren't because it's not a very 'criminal' drug. The prosecution rate also isn't the same for richer white people found with it, as for poorer minorities. There is a disparity.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Spouting off statistics doesn't tell anybody anything that really matters.

The so-called "Underclass" has always been the greatest source of crime...... ok..... Why?

African Americans in the US have always had a higher crime rate then other groups...... ok........ Why??

Understanding that the Sun rises and sets each day is one thing....... knowing why it rises and sets each day tells a person much much more.

What statistics are you referring to? I didn't have any in my post. And why are you asking me why the underclass and minorities have the highest crime rates when it it obvious from the rest of your post that you already know the answer?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
What statistics are you referring to?

It was more just a reference to your claims which were put in a statistical manner. Saying the majority of something is this or that, or more of this happens then this only tells you what's on the surface and provides nothing towards finding a solution to change or improve the situation.

What matters is why, which was my point.....

I didn't have any in my post. And why are you asking me why the underclass and minorities have the highest crime rates when it it obvious from the rest of your post that you already know the answer?

Correct, I don't need to ask for "My" answer because I already know my answer, I was asking you why those things are the way they are...... and if your answer is just "Because there's a racial spin thrown on top" then to me, that's just a cop out answer...... that's why I asked "Why"

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Um

I wonder if anyone remembered how Prohibition worked out for the nation.

In a nut shell, increased crime, violent crime at that (besides the illegal smuggling, trading, selling or using, let alone possessing of any Alcohol), increased corruption through the entire legal system, from the cops on the beat to the judges in their comfy seats, Gangs flourished and the underground thrived, due to the corruption in law enforcement, most trusted the gangs with their protection then they did the cops..... Even politicians couldn't actually avoid breaking the law.

....... Ummmmm.... The fact that it didn't only do the complete opposite of what they wanted, but in a way, it also further glorified alcohol and drinking in general.... almost as a right fought for and won.

I guess our governments don't want to make it 2 for 2.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Um

I wonder if anyone remembered how Prohibition worked out for the nation.

Real well if your name was Kennedy and a few others. Did a world of god for the mafia as well.
Come to think of it my father and his brothers made money off prohibition as well since they used to run booze into the US from Chilliwack.