The Donor vs. The Child

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
The Donor vs. The Child
Posted via Canadian Content

I've been following in the nation's news for the last couple of days the topic about an individual who came to be from a donor sperm her mother received a few years back. Apparently over the last number of years, both the mother and the daughter have been trying to fight to gain knowledge of the donor's identity. Their argument is that it's important for her to know her heritage but more importantly, to know of any possible medical conditions that might have been passed down via genetics...... at least that's the most recent argument in order to win in her lawsuit to gain access to the donor's, AKA: her biological father's identity.

She wishes to make sperm donation more in-line with adoption, in that when the child in question turns 19 years of age, they are permitted to seek out the identity of their biological parent(s).

Currently in BC, they have made it so women seeking sperm donation can opt for a donor who agreed to being identified, but was not in place when her mother sought out donation.

Basically her argument is, and I quote:

“If you don’t want to be identified, don’t be a donor,” Ms. Pratten said. “It’s that simple.” ~ From an online report on the case posted just yesterday.

And last night on the news they had her on TV claiming something along the lines that she never agreed to being born from a donor sperm and nobody ever asked her about her wishes.

^ Well I have some news for you..... nobody has any say on whether or not they're born, let alone how you were born. Nobody has a say when they're given up for adoption, nobody has a say when they're aborted and when it comes to someone deciding to have a child, last I checked, that's up to the future parent(s) to decide...... not the child that doesn't even exist yet.

Secondly, in the report I grabbed the above quote from also noted this:

Quote:
"Her lawyers argue the different rules surrounding adopted children and donor offspring is a double-standard that violates equality rights under the Charter."

I would really like to know how they're going to explain how it's a double-standard, because as far as I see it, both are completely different.

Adoption usually is derived from two people having sexual intercourse and not wanting, not ready or just not capable of raising a child.... this could be due to a one-night stand, a botched relationship, bad birth control practices, sexual assault, or whatever..... but it is almost always related to sexual intercourse that most likely involved consent on both parties (unless there were more then two parties involved I suppose)

In regards to sperm donation, it is the male who decides to donate sperm to god knows who for god knows what reasons.... it is generally the female who decides she wants a sperm donor. Maybe she's single, maybe her significant other is infertile..... whatever the reasons may be, those reasons are usually hers alone and those reasons are directly why sperm donation exists in the first place.

These men who go to the donor have signed a contract of privacy and to ensure there will be no strings attached later on..... if they wanted strings attached or if they wanted their potential offspring to come back looking for them years down the road, chances are they'd get into a relationship rather the donate their sperm.

The whole argument that the current system deprives the children of sperm donation their basic human rights is a vague and empty argument.

What rights?

To know who their real parents are? I didn't know that had a detrimental affect on someone being able to live their lives like anybody else or that it put them at a disadvantage compared to the next person.

What about the rights of the donor?

Let's think about this hypothetically....... let's say I went to the donor once and donated sperm. How do they use that sperm? Does it all go to just one person or multiple people?

If my sperm from that one visit goes to multiple people...... then if what they want becomes reality, I could end up with multiple people knocking on my door and saying "Hey, how's it going dad?"

It could just be one person..... or it could be 12, or 20...... who knows? Looking up the information now, there are processes, depending on where you live, that can use one sperm sample (donation) to produce more then one pregnancy.

Am I going to be spending the rest of my life in court trying to fight payments and support for all these children?

If there is going to be someone to blame or shift responsibility onto, doesn't it make the most logical sense to put the onus on the Mother who opted for a sperm donor in the first place?

Oh that would be too simple and besides, why punish your mother who's been there all your life when it's far more easier to punish some nameless guy you never met, who was never a part of your life and you can blame everything on who "Donated" the sperm your mother used to create you in the first place so that you could grow up and complain about it after the fact?

I don't agree that the identity of a sperm donor should be revealed.

Not only do I think it's not needed, but more importantly, think of all the sperm donors coming back and suing the sperm banks for breaking their contracts?

And if donors are going to be identified and possibly face having countless people knocking on their doors claiming to be their child and possibly seeking legal action for support or whatever excuses one can think of...... I'd bet you can expect the % of donors out there drop to almost nill.

Keep in mind that sperm banks exist simply because there is a demand...... that demand isn't from the men, it's from the women who want to get pregnant for whatever reason. Compromise that service and increase the risks to the donors and you can expect that service to dry up (no pun intended) and all these women will have nowhere to turn besides doing things the old fashion way..... which obviously doesn't work for everybody and in the end, obtaining a sperm donation will become a very very rare opportunity for many.

Maybe it's because I wasn't a donor kid so I don't fully understand what it's like for them..... but why can't they just accept their reality of their life and rather then digging up someone else's legacy you were never a part of, why not just create your own legacy, your own family tree, your own family line, starting with yourself?

The only logical solution I think should be applied that should please all parties involved is that the donor's identity remains anonymous and the only information that should be available to the mother and the donor child is a detailed medical background of the donor. Provide, age, race, health issues and medical history.... all the stuff that might be important later on in their lives, so that if they can find that there's a genetic issue with the donor's heart or something like that, they can keep an eye on that and check it out with their family doctor..... or if there's a chance for male pattern baldness, etc......

There is no need to know who the donor is/was, there is no need to get involved in their lives and seriously, how does it actually affect one's life if they never end up knowing what their father looks like?

It doesn't. You're still the same healthy growing human, living your life like everybody else, with the family you've known since you were born.

Why is that so difficult to accept for some people?

All this is going to do is open up a very large mess. We're going to end up with a pile of people demanding the identities of those who donated the sperm to create them, we're then going to have a pile of people hunting down the donors, we're probably going to end up with a pile of these people being rejected by the donors who don't want anything to do with them, followed by more lawsuits or additional meddling in their lives, which then will be followed by a pile of donors suing sperm banks and anybody else they can think of under the sun for breaking their signed contracts of protecting their identities.

All because a few people can't handle the fact that their mothers went to a sperm bank and it was their mother's responsibility and their mother's own free will and choice to go ahead with the procedure, already knowing the donor of the sperm they used was to remain anonymous. They can't accept that they're alive and well, living their own lives and were raised by parents who loved them enough to go through such a process to have them in the first place.

All because they want to know the identity and the face of the donor they came from ... even if they found out the identity and the face of the donor they came from, what is that going to change in their lives?

Nothing.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/the-donor-vs-child_1013.html

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
For those interested, here's a recent news report on the case:

A child’s right to know?
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1208822.html

VANCOUVER — Olivia Pratten doesn’t know who the man is who donated his sperm to make her conception possible, and she isn’t sure she wants to meet him.

But she wants a court to give her and other children of donors across Canada the option of knowing their biological fathers if that’s what choose.

"We never signed a contract, we never agreed to this and we grow up and we go, "Wait a minute, this isn’t what I wanted,’ " Pratten said Monday outside British Columbia Supreme Court.

The 28-year-old, a Vancouver-born, Toronto journalist with The Canadian Press, has launched a constitutional challenge because records of sperm and egg donors aren’t currently made available to children born through artificial insemination and are frequently even destroyed.

Pratten’s lawyer, constitutional expert Joseph Arvay, is poised to argue that B.C.’s Adoption Act should be tossed out for new legislation obligating doctors to maintain records and give them to the children. The move would effectively eliminate anonymity.

Arvay plans to argue the act is unconstitutional because adopted children have the right to know who their biological parents are, but children conceived by sperm or egg donations don’t.

"If you don’t want to be identified at a later date, don’t be a donor, nobody’s making you do it," Pratten said, adding that it’s up to the courts to decide whether or not to shield people who donated in the past.
And nobody is making the mothers go get the sperm from the sperm bank... so don't shift all the blame on the donor.

Keep in mind that sperm banks don't exist because men are bored and have nothing better to do.... they exist because there is a demand amongst women and they're the one's who freely choose to use a donor by their own free will.

B.C. and the College of Physicians and Surgeons are defendants in the suit, which comes after a judge rejected a bid by the province to block it earlier this month.

The judge in that case ruled Pratten has public interest standing and possibly even direct standing, depending on the state of her own biological father’s records.

The doctor who performed her mother’s procedure at a Vancouver clinic has said that the information was destroyed in the 1990s, but Pratten has doubts as to whether that’s true.

Even so, the woman was excited Monday for the case to finally get before a judge.

Pratten said she’s known how she was conceived since she was five years old and began speaking out about the issue of assisted reproduction publicly at age 18.

"It’s about medical history, and it’s also about identity, it’s about social history, it’s about knowing where you came from," she said.
The funny thing is that right at the start she admits she isn't sure if she'd even bother to find out who her biological father is..... so if it's not even personally that important to her and isn't adamant on really finding out who her father is, then why stir up such a big stink in the first place other then to get her name in the news, yet again?

I think the thing that Pees me off the most in this whole situation is that it's portrayed as though it's the children who are the victims, but at the same time, it's almost implied that the mothers are somehow victims too and that all the onus is placed directly on the donors...... I see no focus on the actions of the mothers and any investigation as to their reasons why they sought out a sperm donor in the first place.

Why is there no form of liability or blame being given to them?

After all, even her own mother who made the decision to have her daughter the way she did seems to be supporting and backing her daughter's fight and excuses as if she's not at all responsible for the whole mess to begin with. If she's starting this whole mess on behalf of those who want to really know, then why don't those who really want to know carry on the fight??

Where are they? Why are they not standing up in numbers demanding the identity of the donors but rather we just have this one woman doing it all whom by her own words, isn't even sure if she'd seek out the identity of her donor?

Her argument is about medical history, social history, identity and where you came from and how all those things are important..... yet at the same time, she claims she's not even sure if she'd seek out the answers for any of that herself.... so I guess it's not really that important is it?

Maybe what really needs to be done is that perhaps sperm donor's identities should be given/revealed...... but the sperm donors have the right to determine who gets their sperm.

If one person who was born from a sperm donor's "rights" need to be protected, then so does the person who is donating their bodily/reproductive fluids.

To me, it continually seems as though our societies portray men as mere tools for reproduction and that's it. After all, we have very little say if a woman wants to keep a pregnancy, we have very little say if they want an abortion, we have very little say when it comes to child support and now with sperm donation, we'll soon have very little say when it comes to remaining an anonymous donor..... besides already not having a say as to how that sperm is used and who gets to use it.

No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

Now sure, the simply response is "Don't be a donor if you don't like how it is."

And of course I sure won't be a donor anytime soon..... and it's not like sperm donation going down the crapper will have any serious affect on men..... the only real harm from men no longer donating sperm will be to the women who have no other options to choose from...... lesbians who want a child with their partner will now have to face the possibility of needing to have sexual intercourse with a man, or end up getting a friend to do it in a cup for them to dunk inside them..... great way to take your friendship to the next level.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
. lesbians who want a child with their partner will now have to face the possibility of needing to have sexual intercourse with a man, or end up getting a friend to do it in a cup for them to dunk inside them..... great way to take your friendship to the next level.

That's what turkey basters are for.

Wasn't it Melissa Etheridge and her partner who conceived a child whose father is David Crosby, chosen for his musical talent? I always thought that was an interesting one.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Girlfriends of mine from highschool recently married, and set about attempting to conceive. One idea was sperm donation, and what they turned up for donors in Canada was a narrow enough number of donors that they were concerned with their child ending up being related to an inordinately large number of their peers and never knowing it, a worrisome enough issue that they turned to a friend.

His consultation with a lawyer informed him that, in Canada, donation does not excuse one from parental responsibility should something happen, and even if the women never came after him for child support, if it came down to welfare, the government could possibly.

They are still in consultation with fertility clinics and lawyers, attempting to find out what to do, but cases like this drive home the fact that it's horribly complicated.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Girlfriends of mine from highschool recently married, and set about attempting to conceive. One idea was sperm donation, and what they turned up for donors in Canada was a narrow enough number of donors that they were concerned with their child ending up being related to an inordinately large number of their peers and never knowing it, a worrisome enough issue that they turned to a friend.

His consultation with a lawyer informed him that, in Canada, donation does not excuse one from parental responsibility should something happen, and even if the women never came after him for child support, if it came down to welfare, the government could possibly.

They are still in consultation with fertility clinics and lawyers, attempting to find out what to do, but cases like this drive home the fact that it's horribly complicated.

Agreed.

I'm not trying to imply that it's anybody's fault in general, as there's all kinds of blame to go around, if any is to go around in the first place..... but when all the dust settles, the person who's going to end up losing out the most will be the guy who donated.

My main concern is when a donor gets thrown to the courts for some sort of support or involvement in the child-in-question's life, what happens when their particular sperm bank they went to used their "Donation" for multiple pregnancies and now they have to deal with more then just one biological child coming to seek answers or money, or perhaps several or more??

Where is the protection for the donor?

In fact, when I recently did a quick bit of research on sperm donation, I found that many places are no longer allowed to pay a donor for their sperm.....

Woman seeking identity of sperm-donor father may get day in B.C.?s Supreme Court

"Canada’s own Assisted Human Reproductive Act of 2004 already makes it illegal to pay for gamete donors, a measure that some contend has resulted in a dearth of sperm and egg donations across the country. Others worry that removing a donor’s anonymity will translate into a further lack of donors."

^ so the only real incentive I can think of that would drive men to continue to donate their sperm is out of the kindness of their own hearts, knowing there is a demand and need out there by women...... but now they're fighting to register donors and make it possible for them to be identified by however many offspring were produced by their donation(s).

So as I see it, if they even pass this, I'd expect this to be the mark of the end for sperm donation except for a very small select few men....... like 3 across the country.

Also from the above link I just quoted from, this caught my eye which followed along with what I was saying earlier:

"On Wednesday, lawyers for the Attorney-General and College told Justice Miriam Gropper that Ms. Pratten’s case is moot because, they claimed, records pertaining to her biological father have already been destroyed. That claim, however, has yet to be proven, and Ms. Pratten thinks the records may still exist.

Crown lawyers also argued that a registry of donors wouldn’t affect Ms. Pratten, so she cannot therefore pursue her claim for the benefit of other donor offspring."

^ Exactly.

As I said, I'm not so much concerned about one child showing up at the door step of a sperm donor...... it's a concern..... but my main concern would be for those who end up having several children showing up at their door step due to their donations being used by multiple women...... they'd be royally screwed and I don't see any means of protection for them.

And if there isn't any means of protection for them, then again.... expect lawsuits for not having such rules and laws in place when they first signed their contracts for donation, and expect sperm banks to get sued for breach of existing signed contracts...... and expect those sperm banks having to pay out for the expenses these donors will have to incur towards supporting these piles of kids of theirs..... then expect those sperm banks to go tits up and out of business...... then expect no sperm donation in the country anymore, followed by women then going out of country to get their sperm donations...... then expect them running into the exact same problems as above with their children wanting to know who their biological fathers are...... but then the new problems is that their biological fathers are from a different country and thus, slightly out of Canadian jurisdiction.

At least that's how I see it unfolding.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Here's an update to this story:

Lawyers argue for anonymity for sperm donors
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101028/lawyers-argue-sperm-case-101028/

VANCOUVER — It's understandable that a woman who was conceived through donated sperm wants to learn her biological father's identity, but not knowing his name hasn't deprived her of her constitutional rights, a provincial government lawyer argued Thursday in B.C. Supreme Court.
Wait, earlier she was quoted as saying she's not sure if she'd even bother to find out who he is......

Olivia Pratten is suing the province to have B.C.'s Adoption Act thrown out in favour of more inclusive laws that give the children of donors the same rights as adopted kids.

She wants sperm donor records kept and maintained so that offspring of artificial insemination have the ability to learn their roots when they turn 18. The move would effectively eliminate anonymous donation.

"There's no doubt Ms. Pratten has a sympathetic claim and the issues she raises are important," Crown lawyer Leah Greathead told the Vancouver court.

But the 28-year-old is not being treated as a second-class citizen, she said.

"We disagree. We say that connection there has not caused any deprivation of the right to life, liberty or security of person."

The College of Physicians and Surgeons is also named in the suit.

Pratten's lawyer earlier argued children of sperm or egg donors should know their medical history and have a safeguard to prevent them from unknowingly engaging in a sexual relationship with a half-sibling.

The Crown contends that major policy decisions, such as ending sperm donor anonymity, shouldn't be left up to the courts to decide.

Further, Greathead said federal legislation already governs the reproductive industry and provides part of what Pratten seeks. The Assisted Human Reproduction Act of 2004 prevents donor records from being destroyed but still allows donors to remain anonymous.

That legislation, however, is currently tied up in its own protracted legal challenge. Quebec is fighting the act in the Supreme Court of Canada, arguing it treads on provincial jurisdiction.

Conflict could arise if the B.C. court rules one way now and then the country's highest court makes a different decision, Greathead said.

And there are other issues that might arise from a ruling in Pratten's favour, she said, including the impact it could have on the privacy rights of donors who were promised anonymity in the past.

The province revised its legislation in 1996 giving adopted children the right to learn the identity of their biological parents. However, the law allows parents to block a child's ability to learn their identity if the child was born before the new law took effect.

Greathead said abolishing anonymity for sperm donors, as Pratten is seeking, would give donor offspring more rights than adopted children.

She said the sperm donation system has changed since Pratten was born, with most semen imported from the United States. That's because there's only one sperm bank in Canada, Toronto's ReproMed institute, which currently has 40 only Canadian donors in its catalogue.

Dr. Alfonso Del Valle, who has run ReproMed since 1990, said he welcomes further positive changes to the system, but not at the hands of the courts. A thorough scientific study is required, as opposed to changes born of "emotional" pursuits, he said.

"One cannot equate the process of adoption to that of sperm or egg donation; that's an absolute absurd," he said in an interview from his Toronto clinic.

In the case of women using sperm donation, he said they have had the ability to select a rigorously pre-screened donor who altruistically wanted to assist people that were unable to conceive otherwise.

Pratten, a journalist with The Canadian Press in Toronto, has battled for more than a decade to learn her own father's identity, but she said that's no longer her goal. The Vancouver doctor who inseminated her mother said he destroyed those records in the 1990s because at the time he wasn't required to keep such documents for more than six years.

Pratten said she now just hopes for new legislation that includes donor offspring, and that every day since the case has been in the news she's received messages from people like her pledging their support.

I woke up to the radio this morning where they had a call in/post on their web site poll asking listeners if Donor children should have the right to seek the identity of sperm donors.

If I remember correctly, it was 84% of those who voted said they shouldn't.

And I agree.

There are no rights being oppressed here and if they want the medical records of the donor, they're already available. Knowing who the donor is, is simply not the same as adopted children.

At least with adopted children, in most cases, the biological parents know each other..... with sperm donation, the mother and the child don't know who the donor is, and not knowing the donor was agreed upon by the mother the moment she agreed to use that donor sperm.

That was the mother's say and regardless of how much this woman wants to argue the point about her never having a say, the fact remains that she never deserved a say in the first place simply because no child born on this planet has a say, regardless of how they're created and how they're born, no matter what the circumstances are.

And what about the children who were born the old fashion way.... ie: Sex and for whatever reason, their mother has no idea who the father was because they slept around too much or did something stupid while drunk one night, etc.?

Who do those children get to sue in order to find out who their biological fathers were?

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The related story at CTV says a lot.

Anonymous sperm donation needed: fertility experts - CTV News

But experts oppose changing the rules.

"We're not trying to make it difficult for people to know their biological parent," said Dr. Albert Yuzpe, who co-founded Vancouver's Genesis Fertility Centre and before that spent 26 years heading the reproductive medicine department at the University of Western Ontario.

"The problem is, in countries where they have legislated (disclosure), the number of volunteer donors has gone down quite significantly."

Yuzpe feels Pratten's pursuit is misguided, saying donor protocol has changed significantly since the woman's birth.

"It was usually the medical student who walked the slowest past the doctor's office that got picked to be the sperm donor," he said. "There was no great screening process."

Today, would-be parents can peruse in-depth profiles of potential donors. It means vital information, like medical history, doesn't remain a question mark.

Altruistic men must also be prepared for nearly nine months of rigorous testing, including a 30-page lifestyle questionnaire, physical exam and sperm analysis, and infectious disease and genetic screening. Samples are frozen and thawed, and then more samples are quarantined for 180 days before being rescreened for disease.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The related story at CTV says a lot.
Today, would-be parents can peruse in-depth profiles of potential donors. It means vital information, like medical history, doesn't remain a question mark.

Altruistic men must also be prepared for nearly nine months of rigorous testing, including a 30-page lifestyle questionnaire, physical exam and sperm analysis, and infectious disease and genetic screening. Samples are frozen and thawed, and then more samples are quarantined for 180 days before being rescreened for disease.[/I]
Makes you wonder why any guy would want to go through all of that just to jerk off in a test tube.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Makes you wonder why any guy would want to go through all of that just to jerk off in a test tube.

Why would anyone put up with what it takes to be a marrow donor? Or give a kidney to a stranger? Why does anyone do anything to try to enrich the lives of strangers and give them something they need?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Why would anyone put up with what it takes to be a marrow donor? Or give a kidney to a stranger? Why does anyone do anything to try to enrich the lives of strangers and give them something they need?

*shrugs* I know I don't bother with any of that.... not even blood..... so I can't personally say why, besides perhaps out of the kindness of one's heart.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Update to this topic:

Trial ends in B.C. sperm, egg donor lawsuit
Trial ends in B.C. sperm, egg donor lawsuit - CTV News

VANCOUVER — Olivia Pratten hasn't felt whole since she learned at age five she was conceived through sperm donation, and over the years she learned she's not the only one who grew up without a name or face for her biological dad. Now she's hoping a British Columbia Supreme Court judge will end her decades-long crusade for the man's identity, not by giving her his phone number but forcing the law in her birth province to change so that people like her can have that right.

The 28-year-old sued the provincial government seeking to end anonymity for sperm donors, even after learning her own records have likely been destroyed.

"Lost generation sounds a little bit cheesy, but in essence that's what it is," she said in an interview Wednesday, when a judge reserved her decision in the case.

"I'm speaking out to prevent this from happening to other people."

Joseph Arvay, Pratten's lawyer, contends his client has been discriminated against because she doesn't have the same ability to learn her genetic roots as adopted children.

The lawsuit asks the court to toss out the B.C. Adoption Act of 1996 in favour of laws that include children conceived through sperm and egg donation. It would ensure physicians maintain donor records in perpetuity so that the offspring of such reproductive technologies can access them -- if they choose -- once they are adults.

Should the judge rule in Pratten's favour, children born prior to 1996 would be able to ask the record holder to contact the donor and to glean if they're willing to be contacted. The donor could outright agree, or choose to only disclose certain information such as their ethnicity or religion.

Children born after the judge's ruling, however, would have no barriers to gaining the donor's identifying information. It's up to the judge to determine which of those options would be given to those born between 1996 and her forthcoming ruling.

"I feel relieved after it's done. It's been a long haul," said Pratten's mother, Shirley, who has heard the case alongside her daughter.

"Just let's hope that common sense prevails here, honestly, and humanity prevails over business."

Jeez, talk about acting as though none of this was her (the mother's) fault/responsibility.

The doctor who inseminated Pratten's mother in a Vancouver clinic has said that donor's records were destroyed in the 1990s, because they were part of medical records that only had to be kept for six years.

The provincial government, named as defendants in the suit, argued before the judge that it's not up to courts to make major policy decisions.

Lawyers for the B.C. Attorney General contend a ruling now would also be premature, because federal legislation already governs the reproductive industry -- it's just not in full force because of it's own legal challenge by Quebec. That province is arguing in the Supreme Court of Canada that the Assisted Human Reproduction Act treads on provincial jurisdiction.

Pratten and her lawyer disagree with doctors in the fertility industry who say the implications of striking down anonymous sperm donation would dry up donors all together. While men initially stopped going to banks in places like the U.K., Australia, Sweden, Pratten claims the numbers always rebounded.

And even if they didn't here, Pratten admitted that's not her concern.

"To me it's like, 'Oh no, there might be less anonymous donors' and I'm like 'good.' That's like saying there are going to be less children born with diabetes," she said.

"Up until this court case we have had no rights, so if it means a smaller system but where the children have rights, that's what I support."

A federal law prohibits men from being paid for their sperm in Canada. Only one sperm bank with 40 donors currently exists, and it provides semen across the country.

So she doesn't give a damn about anybody else but herself and those like her.... she doesn't even care about why the system exists in the first place or the wants/needs by those who see out this system, ie: her mother.

She makes it sound like she'd rather not have been born at all and this whole thing has ruined her ability to carry on with her life and the lives of others like her.

And linking this to children being born with diabetes is a pretty damn ignorant comparison...... I sure as hell hope she loses..... her fight isn't even a noble one anymore, if it ever was.

I call "Attention Wh*re" on this.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

This issue (OP) sure makes you wonder if organ donation implies some kind of liability or potential claim against the donor's estate in the event that the donated organ had some kind of issue associated with it?

Who knows, maybe that is the next step for the lawyers