The moment BBC's Nick Robinson loses his cool at anti-war protestors

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The BBC's political editor, Nick Robinson, has become a YouTube hit after he lost his cool when heckled by some annoying, bad-mannered left-wingers.

Robinson was heckled by some placard-waving anti-war protestors whilst doing a live television broadcast outside the Houses of Parliament.

So he turned round and grabbed the sign of one of the protestors, tries to take it apart, and them stamps on it. Whilst doing so, a protestor shout: 'You should be ashamed of yourself, mate. You should be ashamed.'

The placard read 'Cut the war not the poor' in reference to yesterday's savage spending cuts - Britain's worst since during World War II - announced by Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne. On the reverse side it read 'Bring Our Troops Home Now.'

The moment BBC's Nick Robinson loses his cool at sign-waving anti-war protesters

By Daily Mail Reporter
21st October 2010
Daily Mail

This is the moment the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson loses his cool after being heckled by anti-war protesters during a live television broadcast.

A film clip posted on YouTube shows him grabbing the sign which was being waved behind him while he was broadcasting from the Palace of Westminster yesterday.

He is shown trying to pull the sign, which reads 'Cut the war not the poor', apart before stamping on it while a protester shouts: 'You should be ashamed of yourself, mate. You should be ashamed'.

Aware: Robinson carries out his live cross as anti-war protesters make their point

Losing it: Robinson finishes his broadcast and immediately grabs the anti-war protester's sign

Confronted after the incident, Robinson told a protester: 'I'm not remotely ashamed of myself. Why should I be ashamed of myself?'

Robinson, who has been political editor at the BBC since 2005, is not the first broadcaster to lose their temper within sight of Westminster recently.

The political editor of Sky News, Adam Boulton, was involved in an on-air spat with Labour's former head of communications Alastair Campbell shortly after the general election.

Smash and grab: Robinson grabs the sign and prepares to break it on the ground

Breaking news: Robinson throws the sign to ground and begins to stamp on it

Job done: Robinson, still being filmed by the protester, walks from the mobile studio in front of Westminster

He accused Mr Campbell of 'casting aspersions' and trying to tell him what to think during the fiery exchange.

His colleague Kay Burley was heckled by a protester chanting 'Sack Kay Burley, watch the BBC' while she carried out a live interview - also in Westminster.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So freedom of expression and protesting are bad left wing activities in Britain! I see that the protester is a portly old gentleman and not some radical youth. Makes you wonder about conservative Englishmen that they are afraid of the elderly. Oh! we have the same problem in Canada!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That would depend what led up to the confrontation......

If the broadcast was set up in the middle of the protesters then Nick didn't have any cause to loose it...

But, if the set-up for the broadcast was set up in a quiet spot....and the protesters moved in afterwards and you can't change the set-up for a timed live broadcast......then I would be p*ssed of too....