Thumbs down to KFC's double down

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Thumbs down to KFC's double down
Posted via Canadian Content

Kentucky Fried Chicken has introduced its chicken sandwich in Canada and health experts are giving it a big two thumbs down.

The fatty, salty 'sandwich' was introduced to the US market in the spring and health-conscience diners are best to avoid it according to the vast majority of nutritionists. Why? For one, the meal exceeds an adult's recommended daily sodium intake which crosses the border of enough to too much at 1,740mg of salt.

If the salt isn't a detractor, the calorie intake is 540 calories with 30 grams of fat, hardly something to overlook.

Still, its really not the worst thing you can ingest while you're at the food court; Wendy's Baconator contains 610 calories but with less sodium intake at roughly 1,100mg and KFC's own Classic Sandwich beats the Double Down, hands-down on calorie intake at slightly over 1,000mg.

If you ordered your Double Down with a side of Poutine, you're looking at over 3,000mg of sodium, more than twice the recommended daily intake.

KFC says the DD will be available until mid-November but if it becomes popular enough, it may just become a permanent selection on the menu.

According to Forbes, Canadians rank high on the obesity scale with around 61% of adults at an unhealthy weight. Children are also at risk with an ever increasing obese population, shooting from 2% to 10% for boys (9% for girls) between 1989 and 2004.

While we're not very sure how KFC's marketing game will play out, Canadians all but rejected the entry of another fast food, artery cringing outlet when Krispy Kreme opened its doors in 2004 and closed most of them shortly thereafter.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/thumbs-kfc-s-double-down_1003.html

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well gee of course it's unhealthy.... just look at the thing:

it looks like two chunks of pressure-cooked breaded chicken, bacon, cheese and a bunch of fatty sauce.

You'd think they'd at least try and give it a semi-healthy appearance like tossing on some lettuce or tomato or some sort of veggie.... but it sits there looking exactly like what it truly is..... a big chunk of fatty meat and cheese.

Anybody who purchases this and eats it only have themselves to blame when their heart explodes out their arse.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Still has more nutritional value than pork rinds, and probably potatoe chips. Anyone who makes fast food a steady diet is screwed. Someone who eats this once is probably better off than someone who lives on McD's salads thinking they're 'healthy'.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What about the children though?
What if they accidentally ingest one of these devilish concoctions?
Surely there is a law to remove this temptation from the people.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I like Kentucky Fried Chicken. I know it's full of trans fat and sodium but I like it. I can understand having
a piece of breaded chicken with bacon in a bun.......no different than MacDonald's bacon cheese burger but
two big pieces of chicken with sauce and bacon and no bun is just disgusting glutony.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Still has more nutritional value than pork rinds, and probably potatoe chips. Anyone who makes fast food a steady diet is screwed. Someone who eats this once is probably better off than someone who lives on McD's salads thinking they're 'healthy'.

Wrong!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
We need more laws! We cannot allow the ignorant citizens of this country to tempt stroke or heart attack by eating this. More laws!

Indeed... children should have to provide ID to show their age prior to being allowed to purchase one of these.

Nobody should be allowed to eat one of these indoors and in an enclosed space that is not properly ventilated.

One must eat one of these outside and 10 metres away from any entrance to a building.

Nobody is allowed to eat one of these on a patio or balcony of an establishment even though it is ventilated.

Anybody purchasing one of these should be taxed 32% of the original price so that tax money can be used for maintaining our highways.

Anybody eating one of these near a non-eater should be fined $250 (minimum) due to the risk of second-hand munchies.

Nobody is allowed to eat one of these and drive a motorized vehicle with a minor in the back, even if the windows are rolled down.

In the town of Bridgewater, it is illegal to possess or eat one of these anywhere in the public, including sidewalks, streets, parks, playgrounds or even on the porch of your own home.... in the Town of Bridgewater, the only place you are legally allowed to eat a Double Down is on the Bridge because it is not owned by the town (but the province) and thus, out of jurisdiction of town council.

It is illegal to trade a KFC Double Down for a Wendy's Baconator..... any purchase, trade or other kind of transaction for any of these unhealthy food products must be conducted within a federally licensed grease shop.

By law, no federally licensed grease shop is permitted to be attached by entrance to any building or establishment that contains a pharmacy. Any Federally Licensed Grease Shops that do have 30 days as of notice to modify their shops so that customers must enter through a different doorway that is separate from the Pharmacy.

All packaging for the Double Down and similar grease foods must have warning labels that are in both french and english and must take up 52% of the overall packaging.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

^ There you go, that should make sure nobody ever tries them or becomes addicted to them...... oh wait, they already tried all of the above for smoking tobacco and people are still smoking.

Hmmmm.......

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Indeed... children should have to provide ID to show their age prior to being allowed to purchase one of these.

All packaging for the Double Down and similar grease foods must have warning labels that are in both french and english and must take up 52% of the overall packaging.

Consumers of said product must, upon demand, provide a medical certificate that details their cardiac condition(s).

Packaging also to include graphic images of liposuction procedures (that may be required by the consumer upon ingesting to many double-downs)

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It looks yummy to me. I'm sick of busy bodies trying to define what should go on my plate in my best interests. Fat adds the flavour and zest to meat dishes, most good honest chefs know that. People need fat in their diet. The way to limit dangerous intakes is to eat no more calories than you expend in physical activity. There is nothing wrong with this sandwich if you cut down on intake in other ways, or ratchet up the exercize level. And it's really none of these 'health experts' how it is done.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
It looks yummy to me. I'm sick of busy bodies trying to define what should go on my plate in my best interests. Fat adds the flavour and zest to meat dishes, most good honest chefs know that. People need fat in their diet. The way to limit dangerous intakes is to eat no more calories than you expend in physical activity. There is nothing wrong with this sandwich if you cut down on intake in other ways, or ratchet up the exercize level. And it's really none of these 'health experts' how it is done.

You get brownie points for that :lol:

Frig, last I checked most of us are adults..... I already had 18 some years of being told what to do and what not to do by my parents, I don't need other people I never met trying to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my body and my life, especially now that I'm an adult.

If I wasn't going to "Get it" in the 18 years of being told what to do by my parents, chances are I'm not going to "Get it" now by being told what to do by strangers who think they know better then I do.

I don't go around telling people not to go sky diving, bungee jumping or mountain climbing, so don't tell me what I can or can not eat and how much.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I tried one last night. It was tasty. It's not like I plan on buying one every night, so the health experts can stick it up the whazoo! If I want to try something that is unhealthy for me, then why should it bother them? It's all about moderation, right?