Buck Applauds Hunting - Deer Carry Long Guns?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have always advocated for designing a carbine that bears can employ. Equalize the playing field to give them a sporting chance. I see no sport in shooting defenseless animals with high powered rifles. Hunters should only be allowed to use a knife or a bow and their wits. If any animal is wounded and escapes, the hunter would have to be strung up by their balls for as long as it takes to retrieve the animal.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I agree with you Cliffy,nobody "hunts"any more,If you can't shoot it out the window of a sixty thousand dollar truck,or from a four wheeler then your not "hunting". This crap of gathering every apple in the county to put fifty feet fron your blind,where you sit in comfort doused in deer cum,that's not very sporting.
Most modern rifles have so much power that,if you don't hot a major organ the hole seals up and the animal can live for days,having a nice slow death by internal bleeding.That brings up another point,nobody goes after a wounded animal,if it can make it out of sight,oh well there's lots more.
I don't know why anyone would bother hunting in this day & age anyway,have you seen the liver of a deer lately? When I was a kid,hunting with my father,if he got a deer{one you could eat,not a big tough buck}lots of times we'ed eat half the liver with the steam comming off it,now the liver is likely gray with spots.Yum
Sorry,kind of got wound up,I'll stop before I get into snares and stuff.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I agree with you Cliffy,nobody "hunts"any more,If you can't shoot it out the window of a sixty thousand dollar truck,or from a four wheeler then your not "hunting". This crap of gathering every apple in the county to put fifty feet fron your blind,where you sit in comfort doused in deer cum,that's not very sporting.
Most modern rifles have so much power that,if you don't hot a major organ the hole seals up and the animal can live for days,having a nice slow death by internal bleeding.That brings up another point,nobody goes after a wounded animal,if it can make it out of sight,oh well there's lots more.
I don't know why anyone would bother hunting in this day & age anyway,have you seen the liver of a deer lately? When I was a kid,hunting with my father,if he got a deer{one you could eat,not a big tough buck}lots of times we'ed eat half the liver with the steam comming off it,now the liver is likely gray with spots.Yum
Sorry,kind of got wound up,I'll stop before I get into snares and stuff.

Well, I don't have a 60,000 dollar truck.
Nor do I own a 4 wheeler
I don't put out apples.
I don't hunt from a stand.

And I try not to leave a wounded animal in the bush. Only ever did (to my knowledge) with a coyote once. Shot it close with a .22.......in the head, and it ran away, never to be found.

We only get buck licenses.

I remember eating deer liver, in fact, my Dad loved the heart. We don't do that anymore.

And I am not a serious deer hunter, I do take a rifle and wander around with a license in my pocket, and if one decides to end it all by jumping out in front of me....well.......

As for big powerful rifles, you are wrong on that point..........

BTW, you are wrong about rifles. More powerful rifles are not more apt to wound.........in fact they are considerably less apt to merely wound, if loaded with the right bullets......but you have to hit the vitals. And therein lies the problem.......guys with the .248 Super Duper Extra High Speed Big Magnum Killer rifles forget a flesh wound is still a flesh wound, no matter how much you paid for the rifle. And they shoot at any deer hair they see.........and they never learn to shoot well.

Very few of these in the woods, actually.....but you do see them from time to time. Hunting has become such a difficult sport to get into that usually only serious hunters bother.....and they are usually pretty good.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I agree with Cliffy as well.
Rant #1
The argument that hunters are the true habitat and wildlife conservationists is full of empty rhetoric (the polite phrase). The notion that to save them you need to kill them first is laughable!

Rant #2
Apologists who maintain hunting is part of a "traditional" lifestyle would be less hypocritical if they limited their support to spears and arrows!

Rant #3
Killing for "sport" makes you more mean than man! As a matter of fact, the bigger the hunter, the smaller the manhood!

Rant #4
Hunting day is a ruse to whitewash gun-control opponents credibility.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My truck is packed. Check! Tikka is clean and pretty as ever locked in her hardcase. Check! Alarm clock set for 5AM on Oct 1 Check! Wife prepared? Check!

I can't wait to feel the warm bloody guts after hatcheting through the pelvic bone and thrusting a sharp knife up the schincter thus opening the grain filled belly.

WOOHOO

Rant #2
Apologists who maintain hunting is part of a "traditional" lifestyle would be less hypocritical if they limited their support to spears and arrows!
Primitive weapons is open as we speak. My brother inlaw (lucky bastard) got first arrow off and took my elk last week.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
More like this.... using calls and pushing bush. No blinds or tree stands thanks.
YouTube - Elk kill bow hunting 35 yards

I wish I was allowed to hunt for geese and duck with a 9 iron. We get flocks of 100,000 snow geese that overnight on the farm feilds.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My truck is packed. Check! Tikka is clean and pretty as ever locked in her hardcase. Check! Alarm clock set for 5AM on Oct 1 Check! Wife prepared? Check!

I can't wait to feel the warm bloody guts after hatcheting through the pelvic bone and thrusting a sharp knife up the schincter thus opening the grain filled belly.

WOOHOO

Primitive weapons is open as we speak. My brother inlaw (lucky bastard) got first arrow off and took my elk last week.

What caliber is the Tikka?

You like it? (obviously)

How is it scoped? (If I may presume.......my Dad would not scope a rifle until he was almost 70 and had cataract surgery.......peep sights only, and he was a deadly shot)

Speaking of which.....how does it shoot?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What caliber is the Tikka?

You like it? (obviously)

How is it scoped? (If I may presume.......my Dad would not scope a rifle until he was almost 70 and had cataract surgery.......peep sights only, and he was a deadly shot)

Speaking of which.....how does it shoot?
Like it? I love her. I'm a bush hunter so scope is more of a burden so I went with the open sight option and .270 short. It has the balance and feel of my ancient Winchester over under that grandad gave me and I learned to hunt with.

The simplicity, machining and accuracy are unmatched. Smoothest weapon I've every fired.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

This is a Buddy of mine practicing Primitive-Primitive techniques a few years back:

I don't believe he ever got a chance to try these out....but that's probably for the best.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm sorry but the entire anti-hunting tirade makes me laugh as much as the "hunters are conservationists" thing.

If someone wants to spend money (i.e. stimulate the economy through their purchases) on firearms, ammunition, gas, camping equipment and supplies, not to mention all the licensing fees associated with the activity, and in the case of non-residents there are also mandatory guides to hire, who am I to stop them? Oh jeez you mean I have to be a little more careful on my hikes through the bush for a couple months each fall?

Have we really got nothing better to complain about?

I'm not a hunter anymore: I haven't been for 15 years or so now . I'll admit I was never very serious about it when I did it: I enjoyed going out in the boonies with my friends and the possibility of bring down something bigger than a ruffed grouse was a bonus. These days I would rather shoot year round with a camera (cheaper and I don't need to be a good shot) but I still love the flavour of moose or deer when Dad gets one and I don't begrudge people the opportunity to get off their butts and go stomping around in the Great Outdoors, as long as they do it safely and responsibly.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sask income from hunting and fishing as of 2006:

Non outfitted hunting (outfitted is a very high reveune source as well)

GDP Generated
$29,276,203.00

Total Employment income
$21,337,708.00
Total Jobs (FTE) 915.3

Sport fishing:
$ 53,667,170 GDP
1,516.6 Jobs

477,000 tourist strictly to hunt and fish per year.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/ad...and+Non-Outfitted+Sport+Fishing.pdf&l=English

We'd be lucky to get 477 people out to watch Jane Siberry.

If you think that money doesn't go back into conservation it would be a mistake. To not maintain the animal populations would be a very bad economic and social decision.

Deer populations can get way out of hand considering their natural predators are gone and they are eating some of the best grain in the world.

Either we hunt them or we pull them out of the grills of our vehicles. I've hit 3 so far.... Odds are high the next one will kill me.

Since it's down to me or the deer I'll choose to keep the highways a safe way to travel and reduce overpopulation of some very tasty critters.

My American friends that come up from TX and NM will drop between $4000 - $5000 not including what the wives spend shopping for one week of the best hunting/fishing in North Am.

Last edited: