Afghanistan`s Dirty Little Secret

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Joel Brinkley
San Francisco Chronicle August 29, 2010

Western forces fighting in southern Afghanistan had a problem. Too often, soldiers on patrol passed an older man walking hand-in-hand with a pretty young boy. Their behavior suggested he was not the boy's father. Then, British soldiers found that young Afghan men were actually trying to "touch and fondle them," military investigator AnnaMaria Cardinalli told me. "The soldiers didn't understand."

All of this was so disconcerting that the Defense Department hired Cardinalli, a social scientist, to examine this mystery. Her report, "Pashtun Sexuality," startled not even one Afghan. But Western forces were shocked - and repulsed.​

For centuries, Afghan men have taken boys, roughly 9 to 15 years old, as lovers.​

Some research suggests that half the Pashtun tribal members in Kandahar and other southern towns are bacha baz, the term for an older man with a boy lover.​

Literally it means "boy player." The men like to boast about it.​

"Having a boy has become a custom for us," Enayatullah, a 42-year-old in Baghlan province, told a Reuters reporter. "Whoever wants to show off should have a boy."
Baghlan province is in the northeast, but Afghans say pedophilia is most prevalent among Pashtun men in the south. The Pashtun are Afghanistan's most important tribe. For centuries, the nation's leaders have been Pashtun.​

President Hamid Karzai is Pashtun, from a village near Kandahar, and he has six brothers. So the natural question arises: Has anyone in the Karzai family been bacha baz? Two Afghans with close connections to the Karzai family told me they know that at least one family member and perhaps two were bacha baz. Afraid of retribution, both declined to be identified and would not be more specific for publication.​

As for Karzai, an American who worked in and around his palace in an official capacity for many months told me that homosexual behavior "was rampant" among "soldiers and guys on the security detail. They talked about boys all the time."​

He added, "I didn't see Karzai with anyone. He was in his palace most of the time."​

He, too, declined to be identified.​

In Kandahar, population about 500,000, and other towns, dance parties are a popular, often weekly, pastime. Young boys dress up as girls, wearing makeup and bells on their feet, and dance for a dozen or more leering middle-aged men who throw money at them and then take them home. A recent State Department report called "dancing boys" a "widespread, culturally sanctioned form of male rape."​

So, why are American and NATO forces fighting and dying to defend tens of thousands of proud pedophiles, certainly more per capita than any other place on Earth? And how did Afghanistan become the pedophilia capital of Asia?​

Sociologists and anthropologists say the problem results from perverse interpretation of Islamic law. Women are simply unapproachable. Afghan men cannot talk to an unrelated woman until after proposing marriage. Before then, they can't even look at a woman, except perhaps her feet. Otherwise she is covered, head to ankle.​

"How can you fall in love if you can't see her face," 29-year-old Mohammed Daud told reporters. "We can see the boys, so we can tell which are beautiful."​

Even after marriage, many men keep their boys, suggesting a loveless life at home. A favored Afghan expression goes: "Women are for children, boys are for pleasure." Fundamentalist imams, exaggerating a biblical passage on menstruation, teach that women are "unclean" and therefore distasteful. One married man even asked Cardinalli's team "how his wife could become pregnant," her report said.​

When that was explained, he "reacted with disgust" and asked, "How could one feel desire to be with a woman, who God has made unclean?"​

That helps explain why women are hidden away - and stoned to death if they are perceived to have misbehaved. Islamic law also forbids homosexuality. But the pedophiles explain that away. It's not homosexuality, they aver, because they aren't in love with their boys.​

Addressing the loathsome mistreatment of Afghan women remains a primary goal for coalition governments, as it should be.​

But what about the boys, thousands upon thousands of little boys who are victims of serial rape over many years, destroying their lives - and Afghan society.​

"There's no issue more horrifying and more deserving of our attention than this," Cardinalli said. "I'm continually haunted by what I saw."​

As one boy, in tow of a man he called "my lord," told the Reuters reporter: "Once I grow up, I will be an owner, and I will have my own boys."​

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"So, why are American and NATO forces fighting and dying to defend tens of thousands of proud pedophiles, certainly more per capita than any other place on Earth?".....

Something in common perhaps?:ky:

Are you advocating for the proliferation bacha?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"So, why are American and NATO forces fighting and dying to defend tens of thousands of proud pedophiles, certainly more per capita than any other place on Earth?".....

Something in common perhaps?:ky:
Well you didn't answer the question, so I'll take it you advocate for it.

Since it has been a long standing part of your position, that we shouldn't be meddling in their culture.

Right?

I mean you've said so many times, we shouldn't be there trying to westernize them.

Now the UN and NATO seem to be taking your advice and suddenly you have a problem with that?

What gives?

Are you just one of those keyboard banging hypocrites that has to hate something, for without something to hate, you become empty and a feeling of nothingness swells within?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I`m only presenting the facts. If you have a problem knowing now, what NATO is defending, then tuff-titty.:smile:

Well you didn't answer the question, so I'll take it you advocate for it.

Since it has been a long standing part of your position, that we shouldn't be meddling in their culture.

Right?

I mean you've said so many times, we shouldn't be there trying to westernize them.

Now the UN and NATO seem to be taking your advice and suddenly you have a problem with that?

What gives?

Are you just one of those keyboard banging hypocrites that has to hate something, for without something to hate, you become empty and a feeling of nothingness swells within?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I`m only presenting the facts. If you have a problem knowing now, what NATO is defending, then tuff-titty.:smile:
I've known about bacha since before NATO went into Afghanistan. It's not like it's been a huge secret.

I don't have a "problem" with anything, at least not on the scale you do.

I'm not impressed about NATO and the UN turning a blind eye to it. Although I can understand the tactical reasons for doing so. That still doesn't sit well with my ethos. I don't condone this type of behavior as you do though.

You were upset that they tried to stop the abuse of women. You were upset when they tried to get girls into schools.

Now that NATO and the UN have taken a page right out of your play book, and stopped meddling, what's your problem?

I'm shocked that you would advocate for pedophilia though.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Tis the first I`ve heard of this behaviour as common practice amongst our friends and allies in Afghanistan and even more schocking, NATO aware, yet keeping it secret and defending those practicing pedophilia.8O

And yet again this afternoon we`ll be parading another dead Canadian soldier through the streets who gave his life on thier behalf.

*shudder*

ps....you sound angry that I posted this article CD.

I've known about bacha since before NATO went into Afghanistan. It's not like it's been a huge secret.

I don't have a "problem" with anything, at least not on the scale you do.

I'm not impressed about NATO and the UN turning a blind eye to it. Although I can understand the tactical reasons for doing so. That still doesn't sit well with my ethos. I don't condone this type of behavior as you do though.

You were upset that they tried to stop the abuse of women. You were upset when they tried to get girls into schools.

Now that NATO and the UN have taken a page right out of your play book, and stopped meddling, what's your problem?

I'm shocked that you would advocate for pedophilia though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Tis the first I`ve heard of this behaviour as common practice amongst our friends and allies in Afghanistan and even more schocking, NATO aware, yet keeping it secret and defending those practicing pedophilia.8O

And yet again this afternoon we`ll be parading another dead Canadian soldier through the streets who gave his life on thier behalf.

*shudder*

ps....you sound angry that I posted this article CD.

I saw a program on tv months ago about the dancing boys of Afghanistan. I don't think anyone's been keeping it secret very well if they were keeping it secret.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I can't say I ever followed in great detail the social structures in Afghanistan, but it doesn't seem so far off from Christian/Catholic leaders molesting young boys, etc. since they're not allowed to marry or have families.... it's pretty much the same mentality.

Women are off limits, so they work around this by screwing little boys.

Pretty sick.... one thing that caught my eye was this:

Even after marriage, many men keep their boys, suggesting a loveless life at home. A favored Afghan expression goes: "Women are for children, boys are for pleasure." Fundamentalist imams, exaggerating a biblical passage on menstruation, teach that women are "unclean" and therefore distasteful. One married man even asked Cardinalli's team "how his wife could become pregnant," her report said.
When that was explained, he "reacted with disgust" and asked, "How could one feel desire to be with a woman, who God has made unclean?"​

That helps explain why women are hidden away - and stoned to death if they are perceived to have misbehaved. Islamic law also forbids homosexuality. But the pedophiles explain that away. It's not homosexuality, they aver, because they aren't in love with their boys.​

So women having a menstrual cycle and having blood come out of their hoo-has a couple of days per month is "Unclean"...... but shoving your penis in some kid's ass full of sh*t isn't??

Sorry to be blunt, but how fk'n stupid can you get?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Apparently NATO and the West in general have no problem with this otherwise where is the outcry?

I can't say I ever followed in great detail the social structures in Afghanistan, but it doesn't seem so far off from Christian/Catholic leaders molesting young boys, etc. since they're not allowed to marry or have families.... it's pretty much the same mentality.

Women are off limits, so they work around this by screwing little boys.

Pretty sick.... one thing that caught my eye was this:

So women having a menstrual cycle and having blood come out of their hoo-has a couple of days per month is "Unclean"...... but shoving your penis in some kid's ass full of sh*t isn't??

Sorry to be blunt, but how fk'n stupid can you get?
[/LEFT]
[/COLOR]

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Apparently NATO and the West in general have no problem with this otherwise where is the outcry?

Considering this is the first I've been told about this, and most here know that I frequent a number of online news sources..... obviously it's not brought to main stream attention enough to cause any outcry.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I see. A dirty little secret conveniently swept under the carpet.

I wonder how the troops/dupes feel about fighting for and defending these atrocities?

Considering this is the first I've been told about this, and most here know that I frequent a number of online news sources..... obviously it's not brought to main stream attention enough to cause any outcry.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
FRONTLINE: the dancing boys of afghanistan | PBS

Apparently the Taliban put a stop to the behaviour when in power but with US and NATO`s help, the current installed puppet government has resurrected the practice.

I'm confused what kind of answer you're after in regards to it. You seem to support the maintenance of the social atmosphere that has bred this issue... you decry the notion of Afghani women being rescued so that they can, how did you put it, flash their teeth(?) like North American women. You don't want NATO or anyone over there attempting to install a stable government. Where's YOUR outcry over it?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Im pretty sure Jbee just copy and pastes these threads here to get a rise out of the men who frequent the forum here... He takes an opposing view to see you so angry :lol: :lol:

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Hey...they can do what they dam well want since it`s thier culture. Covering up the girls from head to toe and raping the boys (tho the latter I`m just now learning).
The issue I`m having is the West`s condemning one practice and condoning another by putting a blind-eye to the practice (raping the boys).

Seems quite hypocritical to me.

I'm confused what kind of answer you're after in regards to it. You seem to support the maintenance of the social atmosphere that has bred this issue... you decry the notion of Afghani women being rescued so that they can, how did you put it, flash their teeth(?) like North American women. You don't want NATO or anyone over there attempting to install a stable government. Where's YOUR outcry over it?

....and you`re opinion Johnny, on NATO`s putting a blind-eye to the practice..in essence condoning it is?
Or will you scurry off with tail between legs (hi CD) and steer clear of this topic?:smile:

Im pretty sure Jbee just copy and pastes these threads here to get a rise out of the men who frequent the forum here... He takes an opposing view to see you so angry :lol: :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You do get that many westerners want simply to see human rights and fair government go in, right? To sit back and attempt to address all the individual travesties occurring... frick JBeee.... it would take forever.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Hmmm...you mean have the ability to pick and choose which travesty suits us best? The Taliban hiding thier women`s teeth and ankles and current US installed Afghani gov. raping the boys?
Apparently the Western media are content with hiding those atrocities that question our involvment there thus prolonging the `war on terror`.

Again, it seems quite hypocritical.

You do get that many westerners want simply to see human rights and fair government go in, right? To sit back and attempt to address all the individual travesties occurring... frick JBeee.... it would take forever.