Feds to investigate 'disgusting' Wikipedia entry

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CTV Montreal - Feds to investigate 'disgusting' Wikipedia entry - CTV News

The Correctional Service of Canada is investigating a Wikipedia entry made on a government-owned computer renaming Canada's Official Languages Act as the "Quebec Nazi Act."

The changes, made late last week to the online collaborative encyclopedia, prompted Liberal MP Denis Coderre to write a letter of complaint to Ottawa.

"If the computer is owned by the Government of Canada, than we have to do something about it, and there's no way we can let that go," said Coderre. "It's racist, it's intolerance, it's xenophobic, and it's disgusting."

Wait..... Racist? :-?

Federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews brought the issue to Correctional Services Canada, and issued the following statement:

"Behaviour of this nature is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. The Minister's Office has raised its concerns with the Correctional Service of Canada, who are investigating its origin and will follow up with appropriate action."

Introduced in 1969 by former prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, the act was set out to respect both French and English as Canada's official languages, and to support the development of and status of both.

It's not the first time false information has been posted on Wikipedia, and is likely not the last, said Sunny Handa, an attorney specializing in Internet issues.

"There are a number of defences that the person who did this could argue. They could say it was satire, it was meant to be a joke, or it was parody. It was political commentary," said Handa.

While Handa argues Wikipedia can keep falsities out by locking its pages, Dawson College researcher Elizabeth Charles says students and researchers must learn not to rely on Wikipedia as their only source, because it can be altered by anyone.

"One can't use Wikipedia as the only source, and therefore you have to ensure that there is some verification," said Charles.

One commenter below the article made an interesting post:

"Introduced in 1969 by former prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, the act was set out to respect both French and English as Canada's official languages, and to support the development of and status of both."

this statement makes me laugh. in quebec, if you're not fully francophone most business wont hire you. they expect you to be speaking french primarily in all aspects of your life so that you can keep your job. im pleased to assure you that trudeau had screwed every primarily anglophone speaking citizen in quebec for the rest of their lives. lets not kid ourselves, this comment on wikipedia is political commentary by its most biased nature and yet, speaks volumes about the state Quebec finds itself: losing tourism and anglophone citizens to other parts of canada because its francophone aspect is overpowering and a turn-off to visitors.

anonymous

Can't say I disagree with him.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I'd respond to this but I must go to work. I have lots of Anglos to exterminate today. Then I have to clean the ovens from all that Anglo filth. Then I must patrol the streets of Montreal in order to shoot anyone who speaks a word of English.

Then I must erase all my posts at Canadian Content so my own people don't discover I can actually speak and understand English.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What I find funny about this...

1, Coderre a supporter of neo Nazi regimes in the Middle East, taking exception to it.
2, The fact that this will land on Harpo's head at some point.
3, A Union rep will be defending the assclown that did this, so he can keep his job.
4, The fact that it has an air of truth.

Who needs comediennes, when we have Ottawa.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'd respond to this but I must go to work. I have lots of Anglos to exterminate today. Then I have to clean the ovens from all that Anglo filth. Then I must patrol the streets of Montreal in order to shoot anyone who speaks a word of English.

Then I must erase all my posts at Canadian Content so my own people don't discover I can actually speak and understand English.

Bon chance with all the above. Poutine for lunch??:lol:

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.

Before you get too busy.... :lol: Is there any validity at all in this bit: " . . losing tourism and anglophone citizens to other parts of canada because its francophone aspect is overpowering and a turn-off to visitors." EMWTK?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Before you get too busy.... :lol: Is there any validity at all in this bit: " . . losing tourism and anglophone citizens to other parts of canada because its francophone aspect is overpowering and a turn-off to visitors." EMWTK?

Back in the days when Bill 101 first raised it's ugly head, Anglophones, business opportunities, and jobs were pouring out of Quebec like an express train. Things are a little better now but there is no doubt that language naziism has cost the province a lot of money.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Back in the days when Bill 101 first raised it's ugly head, Anglophones, business opportunities, and jobs were pouring out of Quebec like an express train. Things are a little better now but there is no doubt that language naziism has cost the province a lot of money.

Language law also put an end to anglophone economic domination. Now it's fair play.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Language law also put an end to anglophone economic domination. Now it's fair play.

Fair play huh?

The majority of their laws in Quebec to "Protect" their french language are beyond excessive, where none of those laws exist elsewhere in Canada in regards to "Protecting" English.

New Quebec Law Bans Sale of English-only Games if French Version is Available

or how about:

Family says language laws are forcing them to move
Family says language laws are forcing them to move - CTV News

"...... The Le Blanc family, who live in Chambly, a suburb southeast of Montreal, say their youngest son seems to have a learning disability that holds him back in Quebec's French public schools.

But provincial regulations say nine-year-old Justin and his siblings must go to French schools, and so far, the government has refused to grant him special permission to be educated in English.

Under Quebec law, only children whose parents went to English school in Canada can do the same. Justin's father went to French school in Quebec and his mother was educated in the U.S.

Now the Le Blancs are taking matters into their own hands: On Thursday, Cherie Le Blanc will move Justin and his sister Laura-Lynn to Delaware so they can attend school in English.".......
Or this little gem from not too long ago:

Quebec language police pressure Montreal bar over posters
CBC News - Montreal - Quebec language police pressure Montreal bar over posters

Quebec's French-language watchdog is investigating a popular Montreal pub, which is cluttered with classic Irish signage and English-only posters.......

....... The wall hangings include vintage advertisements for Guinness and the St. James Gate brewery in Dublin, posters the owners say add to the charm and ambience of their downtown establishment. An OLF inspector ruled McKibbin's bilingual menu, bar service and vintage posters do not respect article 58 of Quebec's language charter.

McKibbin's owner Rick Fon told CBC News he will not take the posters down because they serve as decoration, not to advertise beer........
And then there's the laws they have where bi-lingual advertisements must have the french made larger then the english or can only be in french...... where are such laws elsewhere in Canada that do the same against French?

The principles and means of Québec's language policy - Independence of Québec

....... The government amended the Charter of the French language once again, adopting a law (Bill 86) in June 1993 that reformed the public signs and posters and commercial advertising regime58. From then on, they could be in French and another language, provided French was "markedly predominant". The law gave the government power to determine the situations in which public signs and commercial advertising must be in French only, where French has to predominate or where signs, posters and advertising may be in another language only.
Children in Nova Scotia can go to french schools if they please...... establishments can have big giant french signs with no english on them if they want..... in fact, there are ads on the bus I take to and from work that are 100% all french with no english at all advertising schools, courses, jobs etc. that are only for people who speak or wish to speak french..... I see no laws around here forcing these businesses to supply english text for myself or others to read, nor are they being forced to make the english (that isn't even there) to be made larger then the french.

Fair play indeed.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What I find funny about this...

1, Coderre a supporter of neo Nazi regimes in the Middle East, taking exception to it.
2, The fact that this will land on Harpo's head at some point.
3, A Union rep will be defending the assclown that did this, so he can keep his job.
4, The fact that it has an air of truth.

Who needs comediennes, when we have Ottawa.

Isn't that the same Coderre fellow who got sued by Shane Doan of the Phoenix Coyotes for defamation? The case has now been settled out of court, but some of the statements I read from that Coderre came across as a little too self-promoting to me.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Denis Coderre is a poor excuse for a parliamentarian even in today's lackluster crop. This is just the latest in his resume. I don't understand how people can look at this idiot and claim any superiority to the US in our politics. He's like a French, male Sarah Palin. I guess the saving grace is that not even the Liberals think he's leadership material...

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Isn't it about time that you Canadian racists quit stirring up the pot.

Hate to tell you, but French speakers were in Canada long before English speakers were. Just as Native speakers were here before anyone else.

Your juvenile tactics work only to support the Bloc, in its desire to break Quebec off as a separate country. You only serve to make those that do speak French as their primary language, even more paranoid about the motives of people like you.

By the way, I do NOT speak French myself, nor does anyone in my family. I am of Scot's and Native ancestry myself.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Isn't it about time that you Canadian racists quit stirring up the pot.

Hate to tell you, but French speakers were in Canada long before English speakers were. Just as Native speakers were here before anyone else.

Your juvenile tactics work only to support the Bloc, in its desire to break Quebec off as a separate country. You only serve to make those that do speak French as their primary language, even more paranoid about the motives of people like you.

By the way, I do NOT speak French myself, nor does anyone in my family. I am of Scot's and Native ancestry myself.
And completely off base. But please, by all means keep your misguided views.