The Old Man in the Rain

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The following is a short non fiction piece I wrote, after reading a news article that relates to my past.

For anyone interested, read the story below and I have placed a link back to the news article which inspired this piece.

If I have place it in the wrong section of the forum I apologize and encourage the admin to move it to an appropriate area.

MJ Preston aka RCS

THE OLD MAN IN THE RAIN – Word count 970
By MJ Preston

I don't know what spurred me to follow him that day in 1977. I was 12 years old, knew who he was, so curiously I ventured out and began to move stealthly up Yale Road East as the old man trudged ahead of me. The sky was overcast, a callous mixture of depressing grey black clouds and the rain tapped away on the ground as we pushed up the street toward town.

I was wearing a blue jean jacket that day, made by GWG as I recall, and my shoulder length hair was a tangle of wet curls. The poor old man was wearing a suit and hat, as men from his era often did. I felt a pang of guilt in my heart for this unintended victim, but I could not abandon the pursuit. The rain came down a little harder on us, but we continued on, a few hundred feet separating us.

I had to keep my pace at a minimum as the old man moved slower than I and if I didn't I would no doubt pass him. He'd traveled a couple blocks now and I decided to cross to the other side of street to avoid being noticed. As I did this I took a glance at his house and wondered if his wife was in there alone.

It didn't matter. I had to make sure he didn't see me as I followed, and I cut my pace a bit more looking away, as though I were trying to find a house on this side of the road. What is he thinking, I wondered.

We had walked better than two miles now and were in the center of the town. The streets were not all that busy today and the bench he decided to sit down on was situated where five roads intersected in the little town of Chilliwack. This place was aptly called "Five Corners" and it was still the heart of the town's business district. I stopped and watched with guilty fascination as the old man stared off into the distance. He was broken, his eyes weary and tired, his heart battered and he could not see me or anyone else as the rain fell a little harder.

I leaned against a telephone pole, my jean jacket was spongy with water and the air smelled moist sending a cold shiver into my bones. Did he know I had followed him? I doubted that now and I wondered whether or not I should approach him. He was an extremely sad spectactle sitting there in the rain trying to make rhyme or reason of the madness. Perhaps I could sit down beside him, tell how sorry I was for his troubles, but no, I would never do that.

How long did I stand there watching the old man in the rain? Ten minutes? A half an hour? I don't know, for a 12 year old boy standing in the rain it felt like an eternity, but it was not.

He's dying, I thought. This is killing him.

And it was, but there was nothing I could do about it.

The night before I had been camping two doors down with a friend of mine, named Warren. We had decided to camp out in Warren's back yard. At first I raised alarm. "What about the killer?"

Warren laughed. "That guy is five hundred miles from here."

Not long before this night, a group of five young teens had ventured down to the Fraser River to party. On that night a gunman came out of the woods and ambushed them. Their names were Leola Gulliker, Evert Den Hertog, Egbert Menger and Jan Den Hertog. Of the five, the only survivor would be Ed Menger who ran after the first shot rang out. The only female victim Leola Gulliker's body was not recovered at the crime scene. The news media dubbed the killings: THE ROSEDALE SLAYINGS as they occurred in proximity to the farming community of Rosedale, British Columbia.

All of the kids were talking about the murders, my older brother went to school with the young victims. To us, the Rosedale killer was a monster, perhaps a guargantuan man without a soul and there was speculation that the missing Gulliker was still being held by this monster.

An hour after Warren and I had set up the pup tent the street was awash with red and blue police lights as the RCMP cordoned the street off. One of the meighbor kids came by the fence and said, "the cops are arresting someone."

"Who," I asked.

"Probably some drunk," Warren rolled over and went to sleep.

The next morning we found out different. They had arrested the Rosedale Killer and he was not anything like we had painted him. He was a teenager as well, an average looking young man, tall thin, glasses. He had gone to school with these people and for reasons only he could offer, he decided to ambush them on the river. When news broke I smacked Warren in the arm and said, "five hundred miles eh."

He was speechless.

Now, I was watching the Father of Walter Murray Madsen sitting in the rain staring into the abyss and trying to comprehend what his son had been arrested for. He was a sad figure sitting there in his suit, while the rain dripped down on him mercilessly. I truly felt for him, but there was little I could do and I eventually withdrew leaving him to his sadness.

Approximately week or two later the news would announce that the old man had died of natural causes, but I knew better. He died of a broken heart.

The following spring Leola Gulliker's body was recovered from the Fraser River.

MJ Preston 7 Aug, 2010

Related article: from 2008

METRO VANCOUVER — Gerald Guliker told police he was going to Hope to kill himself before his vehicle collided with an SUV on Ferry Road in Agassiz on Sunday, just a few hundred metres from the scene of a quadruple murder that took his sister’s life 31 years ago.

The RCMP now believes the collision was a murder-suicide and the investigation has been taken over by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

Guliker and the driver of the SUV — a 40-year-old Chilliwack man — both died at the scene, while three adult passengers and a three-year-old girl who was strapped into a safety seat survived the crash.

More

Last edited:

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
The following is a short non fiction piece I wrote, after reading a news article that relates to my past.

```` snipping a heart-stopping piece of writing that gives such a brilliant & very different perspective of two participants that one would never think of at the time ~~~

Related article: from 2008

METRO VANCOUVER — Gerald Guliker told police he was going to Hope to kill himself before his vehicle collided with an SUV on Ferry Road in Agassiz on Sunday, just a few hundred metres from the scene of a quadruple murder that took his sister’s life 31 years ago.

The RCMP now believes the collision was a murder-suicide and the investigation has been taken over by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

Guliker and the driver of the SUV — a 40-year-old Chilliwack man — both died at the scene, while three adult passengers and a three-year-old girl who was strapped into a safety seat survived the crash.

This brings back some memories! And the 31 year later sequel is a shocker, I hadn't heard about that. (Moved to the Island in '07, Valley news doesn't get reported much.)

Very familiar with the tragedy though and the places. We lived in the Valley from the mid sixties until '07: Mission, Dewdney, Agassiz, Abbotsford; very familiar with Chilliwack. We spent a lot of good days there, especially back when, like most of the Valley towns, the centre of town was the busy shopping & activity core. Good memories of parking right by the five corners cozily setup in our VW camper watching the super Christmas parade Chilliwack used to put on. Spent a lot of time around Rosedale too, pretty area & we knew people there.

"Monsters" were just coming into our consciousness in that peaceful, beautiful Valley in those years I think. This happened just a year or so after the 'Clifford Olsen summer of terror', if I'm remembering correctly? A summer when no children were seen or heard in the parks, their front yards, playing on their sidewalks...

Seems like the seventies were the time of change & not for the better IMO, but I guess it was a change that was happening in so many communities then.

Your telling of the story of that day in your youth is so very powerful, sad & deeply moving. Thank you for writing it.

Do you know anything about if & how Mrs. Madsen survived the heartbreak she must have endured also? I truly hope that she did not live to have to also endure the shock & grief of hearing of what
Gerald Guliker so sadly did all those years later?

My thanks to you also for your service to our country, it is the most honourable & bravest sacrifice any citizen can make. As the daughter of a WWII British officer who won the M.C. (I never knew him, but I'm still proud of what he did as a soldier) I salute yo
u. :canada:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Mark, thank you for posting something that is obviously deep in your thoughts. It was very well-written and quite thought-provoking.

I tried finding out more information on the coward that killed those poor kids, but I couldn't. Do you happen to know what ended up happening to the killer(hopefully he is still in prison)?:(

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The story does move along a little further and I may revisit it, but a close family friend was a prison guard where Walter Murray Madsen was held, for a time anyway and he said that Madsen's Mother was quite supportive of her son.

Having lost her husband I am not surprised.

As for the whereabouts of Walter Madsen I am unsure. I doubt he is still in prison. It has been 30 plus years and he would not have been held under the dangerous offenders act.

He is either dead, or walks among us.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The story does move along a little further and I may revisit it, but a close family friend was a prison guard where Walter Murray Madsen was held, for a time anyway and he said that Madsen's Mother was quite supportive of her son.

As for the whereabouts of Walter Madsen I am unsure. I doubt he is still in prison. It has been 30 plus years and he would not have been held under the dangerous offenders act.

Thanks for the response. One would hope that when he got out, he never did anything quite so heinous again.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I have no idea if this is the same person but for what it's worth:
Vital Event Death Registration

Name: Walter Madsen

Event Date: 1979 11 16 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Event Place: Chilliwack

Reg. Number: 1979-09-017302
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13599
GSU Microfilm Number: 2051383
Vital Event Death Registration

Name: Walter Madsen

Event Date: 1979 11 16 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Event Place: Chilliwack

Reg. Number: 1979-09-017302
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13599
GSU Microfilm Number: 2051383

I did read the story but maybe I never connected the dots. Is this the father of the convicted man?