Huge mistake in early Pickton investigation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A victim in the early days who managed to get away after being brutally attacked, was written off as not credible. Why? Because she was a hooker or on drugs? Do people who would make such a connection have any business in the legal/justice system? Did that mistake cost 50 or 60 lives? Should the public demand the name of the offending idiot?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
A victim in the early days who managed to get away after being brutally attacked, was written off as not credible. Why? Because she was a hooker or on drugs? Do people who would make such a connection have any business in the legal/justice system? Did that mistake cost 50 or 60 lives? Should the public demand the name of the offending idiot?

Tough questions JLM.

Should every Officer be tarred, or every alleged perp be raked through the coals, or have their lives suffeciently ruined by false accusations?

I wonder if there's any stats on how many claims of rape get filed, because a hooker didn't get paid?

Not that I disagree with what you're getting at, but I can see the other side of the coin from here.

This would be one of those OP's I wish I could give a thumbs up to!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
JLM try going to the cops sometime and tell them you were growing dope and somebody stole your crop and beat you up in the process.

You'd get laughed at and told "don't grow dope and this won't happen to you".

No mistake was made. Not a legal one anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM try going to the cops sometime and tell them you were growing dope and somebody stole your crop and beat you up in the process.

You'd get laughed at and told "don't grow dope and this won't happen to you".

No mistake was made. Not a legal one anyway.

I hear you, Petros, but are you saying one crime should negate another? What should have happened was an attempted murder charge should have been laid and the victim fined $50 for hooking or/and using dope. :lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you have any idea how many hookers burn Johns and how many Johns burn hookers in just one day in Vancouver East Side?

They'd have to double the police force just to investigate hookers and Johns.

By the way it's not illegal to be stoned.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Do you have any idea how many hookers burn Johns and how many Johns burn hookers in just one day in Vancouver East Side?

They'd have to double the police force just to investigate hookers and Johns.

By the way it's not illegal to be stoned.

I wasn't talking about investigating hookers and Johns, I was talking about investigating a case where a woman had the supreme sh*t beaten out of her, the perpetrator had a slashed neck and the cops had both of them.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:munky2:They seized Picton's clothes, put them in a locker and forgot about them. (after one of the first arrests). Several and many years later, when they checked them for DNA, they showed DNA of two missing women hitherto unaccounted for.

SOMEONE fukked up. big time.

.............bones in the yard.........DNA in the freezer...........ground meat in the freezer with missing women DNA in it.........

Sheesh!! The cops certainly left no tern unstoned.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There's a little more to the story then it being a "mistake". No mistake was made. It's a very long article. It's true she was brutally attacked. It's also true she made some claims that were not true regarding herself and the amount of drugs she had managed that night. I'm not trying to take anything from her at all. I believe horrible things happened to her and that she is lucky to be alive. I don't think her story would have saved any lives. Pickton was charged with hurting her. The murders that came before and that followed her incident didn't come to light for some time. You will recall that they had to go through literally mounds of all things horrible to prove what he did. He ground those women up and fed them to his pigs. This is a small part of the story you read:
Because there had been no litigation in the courts to prove what happened between Pickton and the woman in 1997, Pickton's defence lawyer persuasively argued that it would be inappropriate for the woman to testify at the high-profile missing-women trial.

The trial judge, B.C. Supreme Court Justice James Williams, ultimately agreed, ruling the jury would never hear from the only Crown witness prepared to testify that she had been attacked by Pickton.

In a written ruling following the heated pretrial arguments, Williams decided the knife-attack incident could not be considered similar to what happened to the other women because there was no proof she was to be killed and dismembered following the knife attack. (All six of the women Pickton was convicted of killing were dismembered, and at least three of them were killed by gunshot wounds.)

"I find that there is simply not anywhere near the required degree of similarity to permit the conclusion that it is likely that the same individual committed both the 1997 incident and the murders of the six women," Williams wrote.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Only+crown+witness+prepared+testify+about+being+attacked/3360157/story.html#ixzz0vkM7fw1E

I personally know two former members who were recalled to work on that case and it certainly wasn't as simple as you make it sound. It's not like the movies where someone steps up to the plate, suddenly remembering one particular incident that brings the whole thing together. She had more drugs in her system then she said she had. The attack on her was somewhat different. To me it sounds like she got lucky, even though she was brutally beaten and the best part is that she managed to hurt him. We are depending on what one reporter has to say in one article. They were ready to put her on the stand if necessary. I disagree that a mistake was made or that anything could have been done to stop that which for the most part it seems, had already happened. I guess I would have to go back through the time line of events but I think the story reads that by the time her story was put together with the murders, nothing would have changed. She was simply being kept as someone they may have needed to prove their case (IMO).

:munky2:They seized Picton's clothes, put them in a locker and forgot about them. (after one of the first arrests). Several and many years later, when they checked them for DNA, they showed DNA of two missing women hitherto unaccounted for.

SOMEONE fukked up. big time.

.............bones in the yard.........DNA in the freezer...........ground meat in the freezer with missing women DNA in it.........

Sheesh!! The cops certainly left no tern unstoned.
Why do you assume someone erred big time? Perhaps the person who seized that clothing retired. Any number of things could have happened. As I pointed out to JLM, it's not like someone suddenly has this great moment of remembering that one particular "person of interest" clothing is locked up somewhere and that maybe, just maybe it may contain some evidence. The cops left no stone unturned. They took more than 2 years on that farm investigating every "stone". Can you imagine having to work under such conditons. Finding parts of humans in such a state. We nearly gag at the thought of a human being turned into ground meat or fed to pigs. They had to be there sifting through that personally. All this information being fed to the public where family and friends have to relive it. Picton is where he should be. He'll never leave.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
VI; it was during this throat slashing incident the police chucked his clothes in a locker and forgot about them.

No one's claiming the case to be simple, but just that the police were less than super motivated, and failed in a number of cases to connect the dots.

In the end, they got the bastard, and that's to be thankful for. Too bad so many women were killed because of poor investigation. A dead, drug addled hooker is still a dead human being.

Also, a thought: If the victims had been upper or middle class career women or housewives, I believe the feces would have hit the fan a whole lot sooner.

just sayin.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
VI; it was during this throat slashing incident the police chucked his clothes in a locker and forgot about them.

No one's claiming the case to be simple, but just that the police were less than super motivated, and failed in a number of cases to connect the dots.

In the end, they got the bastard, and that's to be thankful for. Too bad so many women were killed because of poor investigation. A dead, drug addled hooker is still a dead human being.

Also, a thought: If the victims had been upper or middle class career women or housewives, I believe the feces would have hit the fan a whole lot sooner.

just sayin.
I am sure that you are right had the victims been in a different "career". The murders did not all happen in the same day or even the same year. Sadly, a drug addicted anyone, makes for a bad witness.
What makes anyone think that Willy Pickton's clothing stored in an evidence room should have suddenly come to light in this case? Even in the beginning when reports of missing women started to come in, I'm sure not a great deal of concern was felt. They change locations within the city and they change cities. Petros nailed it when he stated that a whole separate police body would have to be set up to keep track of hookers and johns. This case had to be worked on very very carefully. They could not take the chance of losing. They don't annouce things they are working on immediately. They have to find proof. It took thousands of man hours to work that case. As I said earlier, they recalled retired members that they knew would do a really good investigation and leave no stone unturned. This man will rot in jail as he deserves to. Charging him with 20 more murders won't change his sentence in reality. Might make it sound longer but it's not going to change. He will be there for the rest of his life and if he isn't - he won't be out for long before someone puts an end to his miserable life anyway. In the whole scheme of things, does one set of clothing absolutely mean that this man was responsible for those horrendous murders? I don't think that one set of clothing being tested would have stopped a single murder. That one set was worn while he "hurt" but did not kill another woman. There was nothing (at the time) to suggest they needed to test those clothes for DNA.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It happens all the time, JLM. Lawyers use every reproba argumentum known and occasionally invent a new one. Argumentum ad hominem is a fave of theirs, I think.

People get railroaded and others get off because of it sometimes.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It happens all the time, JLM. Lawyers use every reproba argumentum known and occasionally invent a new one. Argumentum ad hominem is a fave of theirs, I think.

People get railroaded and others get off because of it sometimes.
You can say that again sister.