Just when we though it couldn't get.............

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
CBC News - Politics - Crime statistics not accurate, Day suggests

Stocky wants to build the prisons to house those miscreants who commit UNREPORTED crimes. Like, when a tree falls in the forest.

He states that crime data more than a year old is worthless, but uses a survey from 2004 (circa) to justify his position that crime is increasing.

I dunno if crime is increasing or decreasing; but, I do suspect that if this CRAP party is ever given a majority, we are in for a world of doo doo.

They ain't doin to bad serving up the doo doo with a minority............:-(

Makes one sort of cringe to realize that people in other countries look at this and think...................actually think. What sort of sheeple are we.

The war on crime has done such a great job in the great shytehouse to the south....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What an appropriate thread title, if I may be so bold as to finish it for you Nugg...

"Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber in Ottawa."

Politicians never cease to amaze me.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
meby steve and his lackys have discovered some new drug that distorts reality,or meby they just want to see how much stupid crap their supporters will put up with.How much more evidence does anybody need that these morons are unfit to run a circle jerk let alone a country ?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While Stockboy definitely isn't the "sharpest knife in the drawer", I don't think he should be used as a bench mark in measuring the ability of the party. As for building more prisons I'm of two minds about it. I would be in favour if they were built mainly to house convicted drug lords and importers etc. as I think it's the only way to get them stopped. For most other crimes (where people's safety isn't an issue) I think there are better alternate forms of punishmnent. Like cleaning a bridge with a tooth brush.............:lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or entire sherrifs depts get kickbacks and innocent get sent up river.

Or the real reason for Arizona's immigration policies.

AZ Governor Funneling Money to Private Prison Corporation Through SB 1070

Chuck Coughlin, one of Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's policy advisers and the head of her re-election campaign, has a history of bragging about his ability to "make some [expletive] happen" on behalf of private industry. And just who might he be making **** happen for these days, with Gov. Brewer relying on him for another term in office and his oh-so-important policy advice? Try the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), the people who profit from immigration injustice.
CBS 5, a local Arizona news channel, decided to poke around and see what kind of ulterior motives Brewer might have had for signing a racist, unconstitutional, wasteful anti-immigrant bill like SB 1070 law. Coughlin is the president of HighGround Public Affairs Consultants, which just happens to lobby for CCA. And CCA just happens to have a tight grip on the contract for running immigration detention centers. (It's like playing Connect-the-Dots.)
In fact, CCA already rakes in a good $11 million [corrected] every month, courtesy of the state of Arizona, and once (if) the new harsh anti-immigrant law SB 1070 goes into effect and the number of immigrant detainees rises, that corporation is poised see its profits spike.
Think Progress reports that Coughlin also chuckles to himself over how "scared" Brewer was over his lobbying abilities when he was playing against her for another team, from which we can infer without too much trouble that he probably holds a lot of sway over her today as her adviser. But Coughlin isn't the only key member of Brewer's staff to have ties to the corporation set to make the most money off of SB 1070: CBS 5 also found that Paul Senseman, the governor's deputy chief of staff, is a former CCA lobbyist whose wife is a current CCA lobbyist.
It's too bad the tourism industry doesn't have its lobbyists in such prominent positions on Gov. Brewer's staff. With all her wild talk of crime and beheadings, Arizona's governor is scaring away a significant amount of the tourist revenue the state relies on, and it'll just be paying out more to enforce SB 1070. But while Arizona taxpayers might end up hurting, CCA, at least, will be sitting pretty. And isn't that what's really important?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I disagree with running prisons for profit. It leads to abuses like petros mentioned. I'd also like to reference this news item:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html
Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit

At worst, Hillary Transue thought she might get a stern lecture when she appeared before a judge for building a spoof MySpace page mocking the assistant principal at her high school in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. She was a stellar student who had never been in trouble, and the page stated clearly at the bottom that it was just a joke.

Instead, the judge sentenced her to three months at a juvenile detention center on a charge of harassment.

She was handcuffed and taken away as her stunned parents stood by.

“I felt like I had been thrown into some surreal sort of nightmare,” said Hillary, 17, who was sentenced in 2007. “All I wanted to know was how this could be fair and why the judge would do such a thing.”

The answers became a bit clearer on Thursday as the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care....

Stockwell Day is wrong. Crime rates are dropping. News sensationalizes crime and creates a perception that crime rates are increasing.

The truth is, more Canadians are living longer. As a result, a greater percentage of the population are older and fewer of us are young. Since younger people are more likely to commit serious crimes, fewer of them means a lower crime rate.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Stockwell Day.. mr. 6000yr old man.

he's hilarious, but he's also sad and confused.

the guy needs to escape while he still has some dignity.. oh wait, he already lost that years ago!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CBC News - Politics - Crime statistics not accurate, Day suggests

Stocky wants to build the prisons to house those miscreants who commit UNREPORTED crimes. Like, when a tree falls in the forest.

He states that crime data more than a year old is worthless, but uses a survey from 2004 (circa) to justify his position that crime is increasing.

I dunno if crime is increasing or decreasing; but, I do suspect that if this CRAP party is ever given a majority, we are in for a world of doo doo.

They ain't doin to bad serving up the doo doo with a minority............:-(

Makes one sort of cringe to realize that people in other countries look at this and think...................actually think. What sort of sheeple are we.

The war on crime has done such a great job in the great shytehouse to the south....

Indeed..... I was going to post this but you beat me to it.....

I'd like to know if he can actually explain how one goes about arresting someone for an unreported crime, charge them for this unreported crime and toss him in jail for however many years for this unreported crime...... if they themselves don't even know what the crime in question is when it was never reported in the first place?

Adding more prisons doesn't suddenly make crimes become reported or solved and unless you can get these "Unreported" crimes to be reported and those alleged criminals charged and found guilty, all you're going to have are a bunch of empty new prisons.

If you want these victims to actually report the crimes done to them, you need to educate them and perhaps put that money into the existing police forces so they're more able to conduct their investigations properly with the right man power, etc. so that victims can have a bit more confidence in their local police in finding these criminals guilty and protecting the victims. In most cases, victims who don't report a crime are usually afraid of retaliation or further crimes committed to them, ie: fear that nobody can really protect them.

Sure it's a problem when a victim doesn't report a crime committed against them, but adding more prisons isn't going to do squat..... and really.... if the victim doesn't want to report the crime, that's their problem.

Now before anybody jumps up and said that it'll also be the problem of the next victim of the criminal who wasn't reported..... perhaps it will be their problem.... but if they report the crime, then the problem stops there..... then again, the "Criminal" in question may not commit another crime, so there's no real determination of the outcome.

I still don't get the whole idea...... how do they actually know how many unreported crimes are not being reported?

According to the Statistics Canada survey, conducted every five years, an estimated 88 per cent of sexual assaults go unreported, as well as an estimated 69 per cent of household thefts, the minister's office said.
It's kinda stupid for these people in the statistic to not report the crime to the police, but seem perfectly fine telling statistics canada about these crimes which they didn't report.

They'll report it to one organization but not the other organization that can actually do something about it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They want private run prisons that make investors MONEY. The more inmates, the more MONEY they make.

That would be a good thing- no reason why they can't work for their keep and the privilege of being Molly coddled in a nice warm, comfortable environment.

Praxius I'd like to know if he can actually explain how one goes about arresting someone for an unreported crime said:
Easy, person A is lying on the curb with his brains running down the gutter and person B is running away with A's blood all over him.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Easy, person A is lying on the curb with his brains running down the gutter and person B is running away with A's blood all over him.

But if it was unreported/the police were never notified of the crime.... how would they know there was a crime in the first place?

As they say, it's not a crime if you don't get caught and nobody reporting the crime is a real good way of not getting caught.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
This looks like the Harper administrations Dumb Comment of the Week. I watched Stockwell Day trying to explain the policy of wasting another nine billion or so on prisons. It was almost embarrassing to watch him squirm while he tried to justify his comment that "unreported crimes statistics" were up. He was unable to explain with any coherence how unreported crime stats were up when there were no unreported crime stats. An idiot trying to explain an idiotic policy.

But if it was unreported/the police were never notified of the crime.... how would they know there was a crime in the first place?

As they say, it's not a crime if you don't get caught and nobody reporting the crime is a real good way of not getting caught.

Love your Fringe Avatar, Praxius.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't mind railing a politician when it's due, but some of you seem to have taken a leap into the shallow end for no more than partisan punditry...

In a statement to CBC News on Tuesday afternoon, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson's office cited Statistics Canada's report of its last general social survey conducted in 2004, which found an estimated 34 per cent of Canadians who are victims of crime still aren't reporting the crime to police.
Given the fact that I haven't reported the jerry cans, pot plants, archery target, footballs, and so on that have gone missing from my property in the last couple years, I can see that being true.

That doesn't even take into consideration the women I've met over the years that hide the abuse they receive from their partners.

The biggest issue here, is privatizing the penal system for profit.

If you think the Cons are the only politicians or group to manipulate stats, I have some property in south Florida for sale, cheap. PM me for details.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I've had a few crimes committed against me that i haven't bothered reporting. Usually because the hassle of being a party to prosecuting the case wasn't worth the time and effort it would require of me. Not because there weren't enough prisons to put the person away.

That said i would like more truth in sentencing. If you've murdered someone in the first degree i think you should spend the full 25 years in prison, not this 'faint hope' provision of possible release in 15. In fact all prisoners certainly by the time they reach their third felony should be spending 2/3 of their sentence in jail, before being eligible for parole.. and by that i mean release to half way house as well.

And i'm not sure if they've repealed this nonsense of counting time in jail prior to conviction as twice or more against the sentence, rather than real time credit. It is only unfair if you have been found innocent of your crime.

The sentencing guidelines should be toughened up in Canada, but we don't have to resort to the severity of U.S. justice, with its three strike rules and outrageous sentences for minor drug offenses.