Clement risks life to save woman......

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've gradually come to the conclusion that to post comments on the cbc news articles, one must be an idiot. Half of the time, the comments have nothing to do with the articles, and about 1/3 of the time, the commenter has completely misunderstood what the article says.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Geez.... I was kinder in my comment in Favourite MP.....

One of those neighbours was Amanda Anderson, a reporter for MCTV news, North Bay

From the Star:

....around 7 p.m. Saturday on the Muskoka River in Port Sydney, a young woman known only as Jennifer got into trouble in the nearby rapids. One of her friends, a young man, went in after her.

Amanda Anderson heard the screams, rushed to the water’s edge and jumped in, fully clothed. Clement, the MP for Parry Sound-Muskoka who has a house on the other side of the river, heard the commotion and ran out to help, as did his wife Lynne and her father, Doug Goulding.

Clement said he dove in with his shorts and T-shirt and swam after the woman, but pulled back when he realized she was too far away, and felt an undertow pulling him down.

But Anderson pushed on, as did Goulding, who ran around the shoreline, strapped on a life-jacket and plunged into the roiling waters with a second life-jacket. He then grabbed the woman and brought her to shore.

“They got to her first, which was great,” Clement said, “It was a real community effort, a team effort.”

It was then they finally noticed the other man, crumpled on nearby rocks.

“We rushed over to him, and he was breathing, just spent,” Anderson said, who was also breathing hard after fighting the fast-moving water.

Brad Oke, a paramedic with Medavie EMS, treated Jennifer on scene, but had to transport the young man to hospital for exhaustion.

“He was in bigger trouble then her,” Oke said, “But he’s all right now.”

Full story: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...s-as-4-people-pulled-from-raging-streams?bn=1

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd like to see this river before calling anyone a hero. If the person realized floating on their back was the answer then odds are high it was more of a panic attack while swimming than a potential drowning.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd like to see this river before calling anyone a hero. If the person realized floating on their back was the answer then odds are high it was more of a panic attack while swimming than a potential drowning.
It looks like water - a chute full of water. People can't breathe it and it sometimes moves fast.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

People have drowned in the bath tub. :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Kudos to all involved. I'd like to think most would do the same, but I know many would not...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
naaaaaaa....and besides....he's a politician....what was it you said about politicians?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Most of the time, people do things like Clement did without thinking. Thinking effectively about what to do usually requires training or a level-headed approach to extremely stressful situations. Hence Clement's need for group help. :)