The HST kicked in yesterday and ........

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We went out to Thursday night "Pub Night" expecting to have a tough time getting a seat. Instead, the pub was nearly empty. It was a wet and rainy day and from comments I saw on Face Book, I gathered those that went camping were having second thoughts and some that were planning on going cancelled their plans. I forgot that the HST was to start yesterday. Then today as I turned on the computer - I read this news:

SURREY, B.C. - Ross Dayton considers himself one of Canada's biggest fans, but no amount of true patriot love can keep him loyal to the loonie now that the harmonized sales tax is on the bill in British Columbia.
"I don't shop up in Canada anymore," the Surrey, B.C., resident said as he watched cars settle into an hours-long holiday lineup at the Pacific border crossing near Vancouver.
From July 1 onwards, the 44-year-old school maintenance worker plans to make one to two southern shopping trips every week for upwards of 30 per cent savings on everything from motorcycle parts to clothing to products for his wife's hair salon.
Combined with already lower American prices, a jug of milk in Washington state now rings in at about half the price it costs a mere 15-minute drive away in Dayton's home province of B.C.
"(The HST is) absolutely a huge motivator, I'm amazed that this law has gone through," he said Thursday. "I'm a fool not to take advantage."
While the nation was celebrating its 143rd birthday, consumers in B.C. and Ontario were unwrapping the new tax that shifts costs from business to the individual's purse. The HST merges the federal Goods and Services Tax with provincial retail tax, meaning shoppers must now pay a levy on many items they never have before.
While government asserts the tax will spur investment and create jobs, many waiting patiently in idling vehicles mused that escaping the hot-button levy could have the opposite effect.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
With the loonie already dancing around par, I imagine that cross-border shopping has been on-going for awhile now, VanIsle. We are stuck with the HST for the next few years, plenty of time to see if the politicos got it right or not.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"I don't shop up in Canada anymore," the Surrey, B.C., resident said as he watched cars settle into an hours-long holiday lineup at the Pacific border crossing near Vancouver.
From July 1 onwards, the 44-year-old school maintenance worker plans to make one to two southern shopping trips every week for upwards of 30 per cent savings on everything from motorcycle parts to clothing to products for his wife's hair salon..

Well, I suppose just to be fair, the school should hire Americans to do the maintenance, and everyone should get their hair cut in the US, too.

Funny how a guy who lives off the public gets upset at having to pay taxes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wonder if he goes to the US and pays for his own health care as well?
So how much do you save sitting in a boarder line up for several hours? You still pay tax in the US and if our government was wise they would collect the HST at the boarder.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wonder if he goes to the US and pays for his own health care as well?
So how much do you save sitting in a boarder line up for several hours? You still pay tax in the US and if our government was wise they would collect the HST at the boarder.
Taxslave, are you forgetting your name???? lol

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So, anyone thing these savings will be passed onto consumers? Apparantly it's working in the maritimes.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So, anyone thing these savings will be passed onto consumers? Apparantly it's working in the maritimes.
Most of it is services that didn't pay PST. If businesses ate it they would be out of pocket. But apparently that attracts a lot of capital investment. ;)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
From July 1 onwards, the 44-year-old school maintenance worker plans to make one to two southern shopping trips every week for upwards of 30 per cent savings on everything from motorcycle parts to clothing to products for his wife's hair salon.

If he can save 30% now, why wasn't he heading down there when he could save, oh lets be generous and say 28%???

That strikes me as being incredibly weird...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I suppose just to be fair, the school should hire Americans to do the maintenance, and everyone should get their hair cut in the US, too.

Funny how a guy who lives off the public gets upset at having to pay taxes.
Perhaps it is because he loses pocket money, too? Did he get a pay raise to compensate for paying more taxes? I doubt it.

If he can save 30% now, why wasn't he heading down there when he could save, oh lets be generous and say 28%???

That strikes me as being incredibly weird...
Perhaps he's calculated it because of the expected wait at the border and the like, as well. So it's more profitable to only go to the States and sit waiting at the border once every 2 weeks and after the HST he'll actually gain by going twice a week.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Perhaps it is because he loses pocket money, too? Did he get a pay raise to compensate for paying more taxes? I doubt it.

Typical of the civil servants here in NB when we switched to the HST. They were the biggest whiners, those employed in private businesses just got on with life. I still find it funny that the biggest whiners about paying taxes are those whose jobs are funded by those same tax dollars. But they sure don't like it when you point that out.

Here's a solution: we'll cut taxes, and lay off all the whining civil servants. I know who'll come out ahead then.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Typical of the civil servants here in NB when we switched to the HST. They were the biggest whiners, those employed in private businesses just got on with life. I still find it funny that the biggest whiners about paying taxes are those whose jobs are funded by those same tax dollars. But they sure don't like it when you point that out.

Here's a solution: we'll cut taxes, and lay off all the whining civil servants. I know who'll come out ahead then.
After WAC Bennett escaped politics, that's what happened. Gov't began acquiring industries and after a while started dropping them and paying private concerns to take over the managing of them. I think if we're going to have private companies doing the work in the first place, we should eliminate the middle man (gov't employees). :D