Creepy horseheaded man has appeared on Google Streetview

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thanks to Google Earth, we now know that an inverted Centaur is roaming Britain's streets.

Russel Moffat, from Ellon, Aberdeenshire, was searching for an optician's shop in the city of Aberdeen using Google Earth when he spotted a man with a horse's head standing on the pavement in the Hardgate area of the city.

He may temporarily have no glasses, but Mr Moffat knew for sure what he was seeing.

Mr Moffatt was so amused by his discovery that he wrote about it on social networking site Twitter.

Now, he is appealing for help to identify Horseboy, who is wearing a purple jumper and black jeans in the picture.

Creepy 'Horseboy' photo on Scottish road becomes latest Google Streetview mystery

By Gavin Madeley
25th June 2010

He only wanted to find an optician's to repair his glasses.

But what Russell Moffatt saw on Google StreetView made him question whether he also needed to get his eyes tested.

The bizarre sight, dubbed 'Horseboy', has become an unlikely internet sensation after being snapped by one of Google's cars on an otherwise unremarkable Aberdeen street.

Now, the search is on to unmask the mystery prankster.

Greeting neigh-bours: A man wearing a horse's head pictured on Google Streetview in Aberdeen

Mr Moffatt, a 50-year-old IT manager, spotted Horseboy in Hardgate in Aberdeen.

He said: 'I needed to get my glasses repaired and was looking for an optician's shop when I suddenly saw this crazy guy.

'I thought it was really funny; he obviously spotted the Google car photographing streets in the area, ran to get a horse-head mask and laid in wait for it.

'I bet he's been quietly smiling to himself ever since, waiting to be discovered.'

The StreetView site will allow anyone in the world to type in a UK address or postcode and instantly see a 360-degree picture of the street, including close-ups of buildings, cars and people.

Closer observation of the website reveals that the joker can be seen from further down the street pulling on the realistic-looking horse's head (so he must be human).

But he is so far away from the camera that his face cannot be seen.

Mr Moffatt, a father of one from Ellon, Aberdeenshire, was so amused by his discovery that he wrote about it on social networking site Twitter.

Now, he is appealing for help to identify Horseboy, who is wearing a purple jumper and black jeans in the picture.

But, despite the site being inundated with hits from an army of fans looking at the intriguing photograph, nobody has yet come forward to confess.

The picture joins a list of unusual sights captured on Streetview. The most famous, from Norway, shows two men dressed in full scuba gear chasing a Google car down the road brandishing a harpoon.

Which way to Peru? A child in a Paddington Bear costume waves at the Google car outside the British Museum in London

Elementary, dear Google: 'Sherlock Holmes' is spotted in Cambridge

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In one of the Scandinavian countries, there were some guys in frogmen outfits who are pictured sitting in lawnchairs and then waving spearguns at the google cam.

I think it's great sport that people have taken the time to do things like this.