Airport Body Scanning Raises Radiation Exposure

(Bloomberg) -- Air passengers should be made aware of the health risks of airport body screenings and governments must explain any decision to expose the public to higher levels of cancer-causing radiation, an inter-agency report said.

Pregnant women and children should not be subject to scanning, even though the radiation dose from body scanners is “extremely small,” said the Inter-Agency Committee on Radiation Safety (external - login to view) report, which is restricted to the agencies concerned and not meant for public circulation. The group includes the European Commission, International Atomic Energy Agency (external - login to view), Nuclear Energy Agency and the World Health Organization (external - login to view).

A more accurate assessment about the health risks of the screening won’t be possible until governments decide whether all passengers will be systematically scanned or randomly selected, the report said. Governments must justify the additional risk posed to passengers, and should consider “other techniques to achieve the same end without the use of ionizing radiation.”
If terrorists would just leave their bombs and guns at home the whole issue would be moot.
When was the last time a terrorist with a bomb or gun was caught in the airport line up? How about just a terrorist?
Funny thing is when all this came out with the body scanners, I supplied a report back then regarding the T-Rays used in the scanner and the potential risks that come with them. The risks may seem remote, but if I was a businessman who had to travel often on planes and had to be continually blasted by T-Rays over and over again..... I imagine after a few years, there'd be some side effects developing.... considering studies shown T-Rays damage human DNA.

Oh wait, I guess I posted that in another forum before I found I was allowed back in here... never mind.

But no matter what, I see no use in those body scanners since they also were proven to not be all that reliable and can be fooled.... If I need to be searched then they can grab my junk and rub me all over.... but I'll be damned if I'll allow them to scan me.
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

When was the last time a terrorist with a bomb or gun was caught in the airport line up? How about just a terrorist?

That's what I keep wondering.

Anyway, I agree that gov'ts need to decide on how to go about this: chance letting a terrorist squeeze through airport security (even though they don't even attempt smuggling weapons on board as passengers anymore), or else pay for increased health care because of scanner trauma.