The British soldier of the future: Star Wars helmet and sharpshooter rifle

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
With the British Army taking the brunt of the Taliban's fight in Afghanistan, with a death rate four times that of the wussy US Army, the more protection available to British soldiers the better, especially with it looking like the British Army being in Afghanistan for another 5 years.

Now the MoD has revealed what the British soldier of the very near future will probably be wearing - and it looks very similar to something from a Star Wars movie.

The futuristic looking helmet comes complete with ear protectors to protect from loud bangs, side-mounted torches for use during night operations and a mouth guard - but one which still allows the wearer's voice to be heard clearly.

The rest of the kit is already in use and features camouflage specifically created for the conditions of Afghanistan.

The helmet, which is currently under trial, and the new kit is part of what is called FIST - Future Integrated Soldier Technology - and is part of a £1billion-a-year programme to update battlefield equipment.

Britain is the world's second largest spender on military science, engineering and technology after the United States.

The British soldier of the future: Star Wars helmet and sharpshooter rifle to take on Taliban

By Colin Fernandez
26th June 2010
Daily Mail

Armed to the teeth with the latest in technology, this is the new face of the British soldier.

And if he looks a little familiar, it's probably because you've seen something very similar in the Star Wars movies.

Gone is the old style 'pudding-bowl' helmet. In its place is one which features ear protection to shield the user from loud bangs and a mouthguard - yet also allows human voices to be heard clearly, and comes with side-mounted torches to assist in night operations.

The helmet, currently under trial, forms part of what the MoD calls FIST - Future Integrated Soldier Technology - and is part of a £1billion-a-year programme to update battlefield equipment.

Changing: A British soldier wearing the clothing of the future, current operational clothing and what British soldiers were wearing five years ago (From left to right)

The rest of the kit, as worn by a soldier from the Royal Anglian Regiment, is already in use and features camouflage specifically created for the conditions of Afghanistan.

It replaces two previous designs - a 40-year-old four-colour combination better suited to European woodland conditions and a lighter pattern for the desert.

The soldier holds the first all-new combat rifle used by the Army for 20 years.

The Lewis Sharpshooter is semi-automatic and said to be accurate up to 2,500ft - ideal for mountain warfare.

The SA80, standard issue since 1976, uses lighter rounds which were found to lose effectiveness at distances of more than 1,000ft.

dailymail.co.uk

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Gone back to 7.62?????

Looks like a fancified AR 10 to me.....the M16/M4 scaled up.......another version of the Stoner design.

I'd like to shoot one.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That Helmut might be a real Bi-atch in the heat of summer, and the front
face guard would be like wearing a handle on your face in hand-to-hand.
Same with the projecting lights on it, etc...Yikes!!!

You shead a lot of heat when you breath. The face guard would make you
recycle your own heat in the summer. Hope they issue double-rations of
toothpaste with those Helmuts too...as even a full-face motorcycle helmut
the day after a Chinese Buffet is unpleasant to put on....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As long as the grade was a negative?

Either way. I feel I have more control on a mountain bike. Part of my problem is I like speed. With a motorbike, I'd always feel teased by my not being able to go at full speed without killing myself on a bump in the forest. With a mountain bike, I can in fact pedal as fast as I want and still be within a relatively safe speed, in most cases anyway unless I'm on some particularly rough terrain. But a mountain bike is lighter weight too and smaller. On some terrains, I can just pick it up and walk across harsh ground with it if I must. Try that with a motorbike over long distances.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
rofl
Gear doesn't make the soldier. Any goof can tote a rifle and sport camo togs and a brain bucket.
I'd suggest if you Brits are losing 4 times as many men as the other nations involved, you might want to actually become better soldiers and quit trying to rely on fancy Star Wars gear to protect yourselves or just stay out of conflicts.

Either way. I feel I have more control on a mountain bike. Part of my problem is I like speed. With a motorbike, I'd always feel teased by my not being able to go at full speed without killing myself on a bump in the forest. With a mountain bike, I can in fact pedal as fast as I want and still be within a relatively safe speed, in most cases anyway unless I'm on some particularly rough terrain. But a mountain bike is lighter weight too and smaller. On some terrains, I can just pick it up and walk across harsh ground with it if I must. Try that with a motorbike over long distances.
Try this sometime:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1306830/trials_free_riding/">Trials Free Riding</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Click here for the most popular videos</a></div></div><a href="

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
rofl

Try this sometime:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1306830/trials_free_riding/">Trials Free Riding</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Click here for the most popular videos</a></div></div><a href="

My point exactly. You can go just as fast on a mountain bike. All that extra power in the motor bike is useless because if they actually used it at full throttle, they'd kill themselves.

Even on a mountain bike I often find myself having to slow down not because the bike couldn't go faster but just because the terrain is just too dangerous to to any faster.

YouTube - Mountain Bike (Trials Bike) Trickster - Danny Macaskill

I can't even come close to doing most of the things done on this video; but it still illustrates how a mountain bike is much more versatile than a motorbike. And though I can't do most of what's done in that video, it still doesn't change the fact that overall I can still do more with a mountain bike than with a motorbike. Motorbikes have the advantage on smoother terrain since they can exploit their speed more fully. In mountain terrain though, forget it;then the mountain bike leaves the motorbike in the dust.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why am I not surprised by your comment? You should grow up at some point....

Why?

Some people drive fast cars, some fly private aircraft, some jump out of perfectly good aircraft, some ride mountain bikes, or go flying down hills at breakneck speed on sticks strapped to their feet...........

All them probably have some knowledge in their favourite past time.

I happen to like weapons.....and have, in the past, made a career out of teaching others the safe use of same. and I have been a volunteer instructor for the gov't's firearms safety course.....

So why do you have a problem with that?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why am I not surprised by your comment? You should grow up at some point....

What are your thoughts of shooting at the Olympics? He did not say he liked shooting people for fun; he said he liked shooting the weapon itself. Many shoot for sport, not to kill. They aim at paper targets and such. I've done it too and though I found it not overly exciting, it was OK But to each his own. But as for using weapons for legitimate purposes, I see nothing wrong with that.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In mountain terrain though, forget it;then the mountain bike leaves the motorbike in the dust.
Funny, I could have sworn you said somewhere that if it got too difficult you'd dismount and carry the bike. That would result in the versatility of the rider covering ground, not the bike.
And the last I heard, speed is a factor in versatility. How versatile would a cross country race between a bicycle and a motorbike be if the distance was something like 250 miles in 5 days, for instance?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Funny, I could have sworn you said somewhere that if it got too difficult you'd dismount and carry the bike. That would result in the versatility of the rider covering ground, not the bike.
And the last I heard, speed is a factor in versatility. How versatile would a cross country race between a bicycle and a motorbike be if the distance was something like 250 miles in 5 days, for instance?

If it gets too difficult for a light and thin mountain bike to pass through, how much more difficult will it be for a wider and heavier motorbike? I guess you can look at it this way:

The smoother the terrain, the greater the advantage for a motorbike since it can then exploit its speed. In fact, if it gets smooth enough, even a racing bicycle is likely to have an edge over a mountain bike. Inversely, the rougher the terrain, the greater the advantage for a mountain bike. And again, if the terrain gets rough enough, even the mountain bike becomes a burden and it's preferable to lock it up, abandon it temporarily, and start climbing. Much of the terrain I ride through is such that a mountain bike has the advantage, and even then there have been times I'd had to carry the bike across some terrain that even a mountain bike could not get through, let alone a motorbike.

So in the end, it's not so much that one is better than the other, but rather that one has the advantage in certain types of terrain. When I have to carry the mountain bike (it doesn't happen often but on occasion), I'd rather be carrying that than a motorbike.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If it gets too difficult for a light and thin mountain bike to pass through, how much more difficult will it be for a wider and heavier motorbike? I guess you can look at it this way:
Motorbike rider would likely find a different route. It'd be the logical solution.

The smoother the terrain, the greater the advantage for a motorbike since it can then exploit its speed. In fact, if it gets smooth enough, even a racing bicycle is likely to have an edge over a mountain bike. Inversely, the rougher the terrain, the greater the advantage for a mountain bike. And again, if the terrain gets rough enough, even the mountain bike becomes a burden and it's preferable to lock it up, abandon it temporarily, and start climbing. Much of the terrain I ride through is such that a mountain bike has the advantage, and even then there have been times I'd had to carry the bike across some terrain that even a mountain bike could not get through, let alone a motorbike.
Whatever. I think those guys on motorbikes are pretty skilled and their bikes look pretty versatile to me. Like I said, give a long distance over rugged terrain and a time limit, I'd bet on the motorbike.

So in the end, it's not so much that one is better than the other, but rather that one has the advantage in certain types of terrain. When I have to carry the mountain bike (it doesn't happen often but on occasion), I'd rather be carrying that than a motorbike.
As soon as you get off the bike, though, it's versatility is gone.

Last edited: