U.S. general fired over interview

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
WASHINGTON—A senior administration official tells The Associated Press that President Barack Obama has accepted Gen. Stanley McChrystal's resignation as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan over blistering remarks about administration officials in an interview.
After an Oval Office showdown with McChrystal in the morning, Obama huddled with a bigger group of war advisers and then planned to announce his decision on the general's fate to the nation. The official spoke only on condition of anonymity, because the president's announcement was not yet public. Obama was speaking at 1:30 p.m. EDT in the Rose Garden about the controversy.
Obama is naming Gen. David Petreaus, who now oversees in the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq as head of U.S. Central Command, as McChrystal's successor, the source said.

Source

Good.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Top ranking military officials generally know better than to make public statements criticizing the administration. It's not done.

That said, if this exact same scenario had happened under Bush, you'd hear one hell of a lot of complaining and whining.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Top ranking military officials generally know better than to make public statements criticizing the administration. It's not done.

That said, if this exact same scenario had happened under Bush, you'd hear one hell of a lot of complaining and whining.

It did happen under Bush and you did hear a lot of complaining. It wasn't as high of a ranking officer as this one so it was not as big in the news.

With that said Obama had every right to fire him and he deserved to be fired. You just don't do that to the Commander in Chief. He's the CIC. I know if I was out in town running my mouth off to the press when I was a Marine I would get screwed. I'd get busted in rank for sure. So this guy and all the other officers that were quoted deserve to lose their jobs.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yes, General McChrystal had to be relieved of command for the interview he gave Rolling Stone. He showed severe lack of discipline and broke the chain of command.

However, in our rush to judgment we should not forget that this man served bravely and well. His accomplishments as a soldier must not be overshawdowed by his lapse of judgement concerning both the earlier Biden remarks and the later interview.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes, General McChrystal had to be relieved of command for the interview he gave Rolling Stone. He showed severe lack of discipline and broke the chain of command.

However, in our rush to judgment we should not forget that this man served bravely and well. His accomplishments as a soldier must not be overshawdowed by his lapse of judgement concerning both the earlier Biden remarks and the later interview.

That's true...but as I said, and so far we all agree, you just can't do that. Believe me, there were Commanding Officers that I could not stand, but I did not go jawing to the press about it, nor would I. I knew I'd be standing in front of the CO getting ready to get busted.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
That's true...but as I said, and so far we all agree, you just can't do that. Believe me, there were Commanding Officers that I could not stand, but I did not go jawing to the press about it, nor would I. I knew I'd be standing in front of the CO getting ready to get busted.

And your commanding officers would have been within their right to bust you, EagleSmack - as Obama was within his when he accepted McChrystal's resignation. I simply didn't want to see the General's reputation as a soldier diminished because he had such an egregious case of loose lips.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And your commanding officers would have been within their right to bust you, EagleSmack - as Obama was within his when he accepted McChrystal's resignation. I simply didn't want to see the General's reputation as a soldier diminished because he had such an egregious case of loose lips.

No question, he absolutely would have had the right to bust me...and he would have. Fortunately for him and the others the officer corps has a better set up. He will most likely be able to retire with full honors. My sorry azz would have been busted down to Lance Corporal! The General in question, he'll be alright. He'll write a book and be on all the talk show circuits after he retires soon. Don't worry a bit about him Mowich.

Back during the Korean War, Truman did the same thing to Gen. Douglas McArthur. He was recalled from the Korean War for openly speaking out against policy and made to retire.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No question, he absolutely would have had the right to bust me...and he would have. Fortunately for him and the others the officer corps has a better set up. He will most likely be able to retire with full honors. My sorry azz would have been busted down to Lance Corporal! The General in question, he'll be alright. He'll write a book and be on all the talk show circuits after he retires soon. Don't worry a bit about him Mowich.

Back during the Korean War, Truman did the same thing to Gen. Douglas McArthur. He was recalled from the Korean War for openly speaking out against policy and made to retire.

Isn't that when MacArthur made his famous 'I will return' speech. Watched a documentary - love war docs - about his being recalled and what happened to the Phillipenes ( if I remember right) after he left.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"I will return" was what he said when he left the Phillipines at the outset of WWII.

When he was recalled from the Korean War, he retired shortly after that recall I believe. He was allowed to address Congress right before he retired and made the famous speech ending with...

"Old soldiers never die...they just fade away."

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"I will return" was what he said when he left the Phillipines at the outset of WWII.

When he was recalled from the Korean War, he retired shortly after that recall I believe. He was allowed to address Congress right before he retired and made the famous speech ending with...

"Old soldiers never die...they just fade away."

I was wondering if I got the the places wrong. Thank you for correcting me, EagleSmack. I must say that the US has had some really interesting top soldiers from what I have seen and read. Canadian military officials are pretty low-key compared to some of their US counterparts, save maybe for Gen. Romeo Dallaire.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It did happen under Bush and you did hear a lot of complaining. It wasn't as high of a ranking officer as this one so it was not as big in the news.

With that said Obama had every right to fire him and he deserved to be fired. You just don't do that to the Commander in Chief. He's the CIC. I know if I was out in town running my mouth off to the press when I was a Marine I would get screwed. I'd get busted in rank for sure. So this guy and all the other officers that were quoted deserve to lose their jobs.

Yep, it's pretty clear cut and seems to be across party lines.

I havn't heard anybody defend the General.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I was wondering if I got the the places wrong. Thank you for correcting me, EagleSmack. I must say that the US has had some really interesting top soldiers from what I have seen and read. Canadian military officials are pretty low-key compared to some of their US counterparts, save maybe for Gen. Romeo Dallaire.

Dallaire never really made any press until he was involved in the mess in Rwanda. His book and general willingness to discuss the shortfalls of the UN and other organizations with regard to genocides are what raised his profile (and I dare say his senate appointment). There have been a few but Canada's military is smaller by orders of magnitude so I think thats to be expected. Looking in the past decade or so Gen. Hilliard has made quite a bit of news in the last few years and so did Major General Lewis MacKenzie both before and after his retirement.

As for General McChrystal, I don't think anyone can argue about what happened to him. Publicly going against your boss is usually a terminal version of Career Limiting Move, no matter your profession or employer.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
No question about it, he had a long and distinguished career, but I'm pretty sure he knew it was over once he made that interview. As EagleSmack said, you do not criticize your commanding officer in public while on active duty. We can do that now because were out or retired, and even then some have to be careful what they say.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As for General McChrystal, I don't think anyone can argue about what happened to him. Publicly going against your boss is usually a terminal version of Career Limiting Move, no matter your profession or employer.

It was cut and dry. Actually I was wondering what Obama would do but in hindsight there was only one thing he could do...relieve him of command.

I was thinking of Obama just ripping him a new azz and sending him back but he just could not do that. When a general is allowed to critisize the CIC that opens the door for the Private, Lance Corporal, Sgt., etc to do the same without any repercussions outside of an azz chewing. Getting your azz chewed is a common occurence while serving in uniform.

Years ago the US Navy's top Admiral killed himself. He was photographed wearing a ribbon with a "V" denoting valor in combat in Vietnam. He rated the ribbon but not the "V" as he had never been to combat. Now when members of the armed services wear ribbons or badges they do not rate they get busted hard. Court Martials in some cases, all cases they get busted in rank or in the officer corps they are forced to resign their commisions. It may sound trivial to some folks but the military takes it seriously. So when the news media was getting ready to go to press with it he knew he would be asked to resign without full honors...he shot himself instead.

No question about it, he had a long and distinguished career, but I'm pretty sure he knew it was over once he made that interview. As EagleSmack said, you do not criticize your commanding officer in public while on active duty. We can do that now because were out or retired, and even then some have to be careful what they say.

I'd like to know WTF he and his aides were thinking! Running their mouths to a Rolling Stone journalist. That reporter must be pretty darn good to loosen them up like that.

You know what... I HOPE... when he retires he doesn't go around the media and run his mouth off... even about Obama. He only hurts himself and the ones who served underneath him.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sun tzu said something along the lines that a military is best managed without interferance from the civilian authorities.

I agree

This where I have to disagree because the military is subjected to the civillian government. The military does run itself but it answers to the President. I think that is fair. Sure the government does absolutely stupid things like mixing basic training in all forces except the Marines but for the most part they leave them alone. just my opinion.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am wondering what prompted him to say what he did knowing that his career would be all but over by doing so? He is an intelligent man so what happened? From what CNN was reporting, Obama was basically following the plan that McChrystal had laid out for him regarding Afghanistan. If he had a problem, why not talk to Obama?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
i believe a successful military should answer to its generals and admirals, i know it sounds brutal but thats the most effective way of doing things.

Considering the weapons capability of the military, I believe they must answer to their CIC. Or maybe I've seen too many movies where the military goes bonkers. :smile: