Autism caused by wide ....................

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Autism caused by wide array of rare gene changes; findings point to drug targets

Provided by: Canadian Press
Written by: Helen Branswell, Medical Reporter, The Canadian Press
Jun. 9, 2010

TORONTO - The largest ever attempt to compare the DNA of individuals with autism to people without the condition shows a substantial number of rare genetic changes are involved in the development of the disease.
The scientists behind the effort, published online Wednesday by the journal Nature, said the work identifies dozens of new genes involved in autism, with some mutations passing from parents to their autistic offspring and others developing in the autistic individuals themselves.
The pattern that emerges is that the genetic causes of autism are likely far more complex than scientists would have hoped.
Senior investigator Steve Scherer, a leading genetics expert at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, says the findings should result in a paradigm shift in the understanding of what causes autism.
"Here our research findings point to the fact that genetic variations that we discovered are actually rare in frequency, meaning most individuals with autism are probably genetically quite unique, each having their own genetic form of autism."
He likened it to each individual having a genetic fingerprint for his or her own version of autism.
An example of the scale of that variability: The findings, based on the study of nearly 1,000 North American and European children with autism spectrum disorders, probably explain about 3.3 per cent of the genetic origins of autism, co-author Dr. Stanley Nelson, professor of human genetics and psychiatry at UCLA, said in a release.
The most common of the genetic changes the scientists spotted was seen in fewer than one per cent of the cases, Scherer said.
The study was done through the International Autism Consortium, and involved 1,500 families and 120 physicians and researchers from 11 countries across North America and Europe.
The main authors seemed undaunted by the complexity of the picture they were painting, even though it dashes hopes that a small number of genetic changes might be responsible for the condition. In theory, few genetic changes might make it easier to develop treatments. In practice, however, therapies for conditions caused by mutation of a single gene can also be elusive.
Cystic fibrosis, for instance, is caused by mutation of a single gene, a fact that was discovered by scientists from Sick Kids Hospital in 1989. But more than 20 years later, that finding has yet to be translated into a gene therapy.
"I think it's been known for a long time that autism clinically is very, very complex, very heterogeneous," Scherer said. "It's almost an artificial grouping of a common clinical endpoint if you will. And this is what the genetics is telling us also."
A welcome part of the findings relates to the fact that the genetic changes appear to cluster along biological pathways, which helps to identify which neurological systems are being affected.
Some of those pathways were previously identified, but this work uncovered others that until now were not implicated in the development of autism.
Another of the lead researchers, Tony Monaco of Oxford University, said knowing the pathways involved should help scientists develop drugs to treat autism or determine if compounds already developed for other conditions might be useful for people with autism.
"There are a lot of drugs that are already developed that are on the shelf for other purposes that could now be tried in autism because we didn't have the knowledge before that these biological pathways were involved," he said.
Other potential implications of the work include the possibility of earlier diagnosis, which in turn would lead to earlier start of the interventions that have been shown to benefit children with autism. Because of the wide variation in genetic changes, coming up with a prenatal test would be difficult, the scientists said.
But they suggested the work could lead eventually allow physicians to predict for parents the form of autism a child was likely to develop and tailor interventions accordingly.
As well, Monaco said, the findings could lead to better genetic counselling on risks for parents who have already had a child with autism.
The study doesn't shed any light on environmental factors that might trigger the genetic changes that lead to autism. But Dr. Geri Dawson, chief science officer of Autism Speaks, said it is believed environmental exposures probably do play a role.
Autism Speaks is an advocacy group that pushes for research into the causes of and possible cures for autism.
But Dawson said there is no evidence to support the debunked yet still repeated claim that vaccines trigger development of the condition.
"I think it's important to underscore the fact that there really is no strong evidence that vaccines play a role in the etiology of autism,'' she said, adding this study points to the strong role genetics play in autism development.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Interesting, thanks, VI.
I think I saw a thing on autism on W5 or 5th Estate a while ago, too.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The technical change they're referring to is called the copy number. Introductions to genetics will teach that we get one copy of each gene from each of our parents. But it's not that simple. Errors can propogate in the genetic code, and it turns out that some regions on genes are more prone to copying or deleting. These multiple copies or lack of copies of the same gene can be passed along, or even develop as the human develops in the womb.

It turns out that the great majority of the copy number variants associated with Autism spectrum disorders are highly heritable traits. In this study, only about 6% of the variants propogated during development, as opposed to being passed on by parents.

A lot of the genetic fingerprinting that they use in forensics is actually looking at how many repeats the individual has in particular sequences, which is what ends up happening when someone carries multiple copies of one gene. The only difference is that the sequences the FBI and RCMP would look at aren't functionally coding for a protein.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hah, I can't edit now, but instead of

"some regions on genes are more prone to..."

it should read:

"some regions on chromosomes are more prone to..."

Gahhhhh!

But glad you found that helpful VI. Hopefully all parents can find this helpful.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't have anyone in my family with autism (that I'm aware of anyway) but it's such a mystery disease and government seems to do next to nothing to help children with autism. We have close friends who have a grandchild that is autistic. They fought long and hard and at great expense in court but to no avail. We are actually meeting with them and other friends in September in Charlottetown. My grandson with CP is friends in school with an autistic boy. The friend is a year older and moved on to high school last year so the two of them are excited to be back together again.
I think I'll copy what you had to say on this and send it to my nephew. I'll let him dissect it. :) He's a shrink!!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A shrink ehh? You know what they say about a criminal trial without a shrink? It's like a circus without a clown. I have a cousin who just graduated med school, a psychiatrist! :D

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The technical change they're referring to is called the copy number. Introductions to genetics will teach that we get one copy of each gene from each of our parents. But it's not that simple. Errors can propogate in the genetic code, and it turns out that some regions on genes are more prone to copying or deleting. These multiple copies or lack of copies of the same gene can be passed along, or even develop as the human develops in the womb.
Everyone is a unique mutant of their parents, sometimes better sometimes worse but mainly better. Evolution works fast.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Autism caused by wide array of rare gene changes; findings point to drug targets

Provided by: Canadian Press
Written by: Helen Branswell, Medical Reporter, The Canadian Press
Jun. 9, 2010

TORONTO - The largest ever attempt to compare the DNA of individuals with autism to people without the condition shows a substantial number of rare genetic changes are involved in the development of the disease.

I don't think there's any doubt there's something detrimental going on on the planet. I don't believe we had autism back in '59 or if we did it was very rare. Same thing with A.L.S. - I think it was very very rate at the time it was diagnosed in Lou Gehrig. My uncle died of A.L.S. or something very similar at age 67- he'd been a house painter all his life and my contention was that the lead in the paint is what did him in. Good thing we got rid of that stuff. That cystic fibrosis was another one we never heard of way back when. That was a real bastard when it was first getting diagnosed back in the 60s or 70s- life expectancy at that time was about 12. I think a lot of it stems from the chemicals being prescribed at the drugstore if not to the direct recipient to a recent ancestor. They can do all the drug testing they like but that is no assurance something isn't going to show up 30 years down the road.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
JLM, you can't diagnose something unless you know about it. If you go down to a science library at any university and look at the books, maybe 1% of them in the library are from before 1950. About 50% of them before 1980, and about half will be from 1980 onwards. It's exponential growth.

I'm not discounting the other stuff like chemical proliferation, I think at last count we are now up to 80,000 chemicals without full knowledge of how they interact...but it seems pretty clear from this study that there is a genetic component. And this wasn't a small study, 996 autism spectrum disorder individuals and 1287 controls.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, you can't diagnose something unless you know about it. If you go down to a science library at any university and look at the books, maybe 1% of them in the library are from before 1950. About 50% of them before 1980, and about half will be from 1980 onwards. It's exponential growth.

I'm not discounting the other stuff like chemical proliferation, I think at last count we are now up to 80,000 chemicals without full knowledge of how they interact...but it seems pretty clear from this study that there is a genetic component. And this wasn't a small study, 996 autism spectrum disorder individuals and 1287 controls.

Don't get me wrong I'm not discounting the genetic factor at all, but something is causing a mutation in the genes I think, there's a lot of detrimental stuff- mercury in the fish, lead in the paint and a mulitude of other stuff we probably haven't even thought of yet. :smile:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
A shrink ehh? You know what they say about a criminal trial without a shrink? It's like a circus without a clown. I have a cousin who just graduated med school, a psychiatrist! :D
My nephew has one more yr. to complete before he achieves full psychiatrist status. I have to wait because I thought I had his address but I just have him on Face Book. The area you can leave a message in there is about as big as a minute so - he's either working or probably asleep. I likely won't hear before tomorrow at the earliest. Then again, he doesn't always like those kind of things so he may not answer at all. (I mean he doesn't always like answering to them)

I don't think there's any doubt there's something detrimental going on on the planet. I don't believe we had autism back in '59 or if we did it was very rare. Same thing with A.L.S. - I think it was very very rate at the time it was diagnosed in Lou Gehrig. My uncle died of A.L.S. or something very similar at age 67- he'd been a house painter all his life and my contention was that the lead in the paint is what did him in. Good thing we got rid of that stuff. That cystic fibrosis was another one we never heard of way back when. That was a real bastard when it was first getting diagnosed back in the 60s or 70s- life expectancy at that time was about 12. I think a lot of it stems from the chemicals being prescribed at the drugstore if not to the direct recipient to a recent ancestor. They can do all the drug testing they like but that is no assurance something isn't going to show up 30 years down the road.
I don't think we can say these things were not around then. They may not have had a name but I think they were around. We had a good friend from Vernon die of ALS as well just about a year before we moved from there. He was a school teacher so - I don't think your lead paint theory will hold up. He was diagnosed and went downhill very fast and died. He was likely around 65 or more. He was ret'd also. It's still difficult at times to diagnose autism and there is more than one form of it. Look at MS - it's been around forever and it's more prominant in North America than anywhere else. BC is bad for it. It's in my husbands family and mine too. There are probably people who can cite cases of CF from years back too. I agree that there is lots of junk around today but look at stuff like asbestos that everyone thought was so safe. Now if you want to put something like new lino down in an old house, they don't want you to move the old lino just in case it has asbestos in it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think we can say these things were not around then. They may not have had a name but I think they were around. We had a good friend from Vernon die of ALS as well just about a year before we moved from there. .

In the great scheme of things I don't know how much all this really matters. For every disease they find a cure for, two or three more seem to pop up. Aids is one good example and one of the most vicious of all diseases. Diseases are probably just Mother Nature's way of population control, different diseases possibly control certain segments of the population. In the case where I mentioned paint - that is just one contaminant, the teacher may have been in contact with another contaminant. There's a thousand different variables- the Japanese and Eskimos seem to thrive on things that are killing Caucasians. I think another key is oxygen, when the body or a part of it gets deprived of oxygen things seem to go down hill pretty fast and I have a hunch that is why strenuous exercise daily is so important. The more exercise you get the easier it is for the body to process oxygen.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Don't get me wrong I'm not discounting the genetic factor at all, but something is causing a mutation in the genes I think, there's a lot of detrimental stuff- mercury in the fish, lead in the paint and a mulitude of other stuff we probably haven't even thought of yet. :smile:

Mutations don't require toxins to occur...you probably produced trillions of sperm in your lifetime, and every time your body created sperm, there was a possibility of an error occuring during the process. Some are trivial. For instance, in our genetic code, this sequence:

Adenine-Adenine-Adenine codes for the amino acid lysine. If during replication there is an error, and the last adenine is replaced with guanine, the result is it still codes for lysine. But if it changed to say:

Adenine-Adenine-Cytosine, then the result would be a new amino acid in the protein, in this case aspargine.

These kinds of errors happen without toxins being involved. Chemical reactions rarely are so precise. Nucleic acids happen to be an anomaly in that respect. But errors still happen. Sometimes they produce functional changes, like the new amino acid in the protein the gene codes for.

That's actually how sickle cell anemia happens. The hemoglobin protein is 146 amino acids long. The functional change is a particular sequence where GTG, which makes valine, is changed to GAG, which makes glutamic acid.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Mutations don't require toxins to occur...you probably produced trillions of sperm in your lifetime, and every time your body created sperm, there was a possibility of an error occuring during the process. Some are trivial. For instance, in our genetic code, this sequence:

I'm beginning to see that this stuff is getting a little deep for my feeble mind, I guess I should leave it for you scientific types. :smile: