Its called ther american dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As usual, George hits the nail on the head. Judging by the silence on here, most people are asleep on here too.The endless pratter about politics proves that very few people actually understand what George says about politicians not giving a damn about the citizens. They only cater to our masters and owners. I wish I knew what the majic bullet is that would wake people up from their stupor.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hear here George...
Although so far, Cyberspace is still somewhat free(?)...For how long?.., is the question...

I am a lucid dreamer...So far "They" haven't found a way to charge a fee / tax or control that ...Not directly anyway ...:) ...

All said , Still gotta have faith in the future...Speak your mind...Like George ..;)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
As usual, George hits the nail on the head. Judging by the silence on here, most people are asleep on here too.The endless pratter about politics proves that very few people actually understand what George says about politicians not giving a damn about the citizens. They only cater to our masters and owners. I wish I knew what the majic bullet is that would wake people up from their stupor.

I have noticed lately the deterioration in the once vigorous political debate at CC and the endless pratter that replaced it. People wake up to the lash or the cash either gets the herd stampeding toward some political cause or other, usually over a cliff or into war where they be consumed safely and there emotions quenched efficiently with the least damage to the ruling infrastructure. We are waking up to hunger pestulence and war even as we speak. It will be terrible to be awake for a long time to come I think.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Reminds me of the interview with Tony Benn in Michael Moore's film Sicko. Some people know what's going on in US politics.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Sadly, George Carlin is simply no longer relevant. He is too old to matter to the young, and they DON"T listen to him or to others of his age group.

But George is also wrong. I am one of those that came up from the depth of poverty. I grew up in a horribly abusive home (you name the abuse, and 1 or more of us suffered it). I went to 16 different schools, in 4 different states, before being forced to drop out of school in the middle of the 11th grade. I joined the Army at the age of 16, and spent 10 years on active duty. I only left because my wife left me with two daughters, and they were a LOT more important to me than my career.

I was a single parent for years. I managed to put myself through College, earn two Masters degrees, enter a profession, and later earn my Doctorate. I also managed to not have to have everything the neighbors owned, saved my money, and managed to have a fully paid for home by the age of 55.

My daughters both earned advanced degrees. One is a physician in the US Army, and the other is a Civil Engineer. I have 3 grandsons that I adore.

I retired at 62, moved to Kentucky where I bought a beautiful 3,400 sq. foot home on 3 acres (fully paid for), bought a motorhome and began taking flying lessons.

Nobody owns me, or any member of my family. The only ones that are "owned" are those too stupid to save money instead of spend it, too stupid to gain as much education as possible, and those that are simply too stupid or too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities that this country still offers to anyone willing to work hard and strive.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sadly, George Carlin is simply no longer relevant. He is too old to matter to the young, and they DON"T listen to him or to others of his age group.

But George is also wrong. I am one of those that came up from the depth of poverty. I grew up in a horribly abusive home (you name the abuse, and 1 or more of us suffered it). I went to 16 different schools, in 4 different states, before being forced to drop out of school in the middle of the 11th grade. I joined the Army at the age of 16, and spent 10 years on active duty. I only left because my wife left me with two daughters, and they were a LOT more important to me than my career.

I was a single parent for years. I managed to put myself through College, earn two Masters degrees, enter a profession, and later earn my Doctorate. I also managed to not have to have everything the neighbors owned, saved my money, and managed to have a fully paid for home by the age of 55.

My daughters both earned advanced degrees. One is a physician in the US Army, and the other is a Civil Engineer. I have 3 grandsons that I adore.

I retired at 62, moved to Kentucky where I bought a beautiful 3,400 sq. foot home on 3 acres (fully paid for), bought a motorhome and began taking flying lessons.

Nobody owns me, or any member of my family. The only ones that are "owned" are those too stupid to save money instead of spend it, too stupid to gain as much education as possible, and those that are simply too stupid or too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities that this country still offers to anyone willing to work hard and strive.

Umm - actually he is also dead. And more power to you for managing to be successful in spite of the barriers that were placed in your way. However, I think you are taking Mr. Carlin too literally - remember he was a comedian. And obviously he was successful so he knew that success was possible. I suspect he was simply pointing out one of the sad facts about the American dream, and that is the fact that for some people the dream is denied, in spite of the fact that they have done everything in their power to make it work; while at the same time many Americans receive rewards out of all proportion to their contributions to society.

He was also pointing out the fact that the US government in its present form is pretty much a mouthpiece for the powers that be and that any real change in US society is going to be difficult if not impossible; as Mr. Obama's struggle with health care so beautifully illustrated.