The dirty (2) dozen: Man uncovers 24 WW2 grenades in his back garden

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It may be 65 years after the end of WWII but the war still has the potential to kill or severely injure somebody.

When 28 year old Ian Cooke was digging holes in his garden for new decking in Halesowen, West Midlands, he didn't expect to find TWENTY FOUR World War II phosphorous grenades.

Ian uncovered a broken glass vial two feet under his lawn that had been filled with a diesel-smelling liquid.

He dipped his spade into the chemical but was stunned when smoke started pluming from the blade. Quite naturally, he then decided to call the emergency services and when a Royal Logistic Bomb Disposal Team arrived they discovered a further 23 grenades.

The No 76 phosphorous grenades were British, used by the Home Guard during the War.

The Home Guard - depicted in the 1970s comedy series Dad's Army - were created to try and take on the Germans should they invade.

The dirty (2) dozen: How a bit of weekend DIY unearthed 24 WW2 grenades in a quiet back garden

By Daily Mail Reporter
9th May 2010
Daily Mail

A man has unearthed a hoard of Second World War phosphorus grenades in his back garden.

Ian Cooke, 28, a financial advisor, discovered 24 of the dangerous glass bombs when digging holes for new decking at his home yesterday afternoon.

Around 3.3opm, Mr Cooke uncovered a broken glass vial two feet under his lawn that had been filled with a diesel-smelling liquid.

Explosive situation: Emergency services arrive in force outside Ian Cooke's house in Halesowen, west Mids, after he uncovered the grenades buried in his garden

He dipped his spade into the chemical but was stunned when smoke started pluming from the blade.

Smoke continued to billow from the hole so he immediately ran inside and called 999.

Emergency services were rushed to the house on Belbroughton Road, Halesowen, West Mids, and when a Royal Logistic Bomb Disposal Team arrived they discovered a further 23 grenades.

Today the team attempted to make the grenades safe by filling a skip with water and opening them while submerged, diluting the chemicals inside making sure they cannot be ignited.

Dangerous DIY: Mr Cooke behind police tape today. He unearthed the deadly cache while digging holes for decking

Mr Cooke said he had been told by bomb disposal experts that they had discovered a large hoard of No 76 phosphorous grenades used by the Home Guard in the Second World War.

He said: 'When they got here the street was cordoned off and people were asked to stay inside and keep their windows closed.

'The bomb disposal team told me that 24 No 76 phosphorous grenades had been found - I was gobsmacked.

'When I found the vial I was not going to take any chances - I know nothing about weapons and grenades but knew this could be dangerous.

'When smoke started pluming out of the hole I just ran inside and called 999.

'The bomb experts said that they were going to open the rest of the grenades submerged in water - it makes the phosphorous safe by diluting it.

'I was supposed to be going to my friend's wedding today but it looks like I am going to miss the ceremony.

'It's okay though - as long as I don't miss the buffet.

'I will certainly have a tale to tell when I get there - it is just mind blowing to think these bombs have been here since I moved here a few months ago.'

The No 76 was an incendiary grenade filled with white phosphorus used during the war and was issued to the Home Guard at a time when the UK faced a possible Nazi invasion.

The grenade is a pint-sized glass bottle filled with white phosphorus, benzene, a piece of rubber and water.

Grenade: A diagram of the No 76 phosphorous grenade made from a bottle and issued to the British Home Guard during the Second World War

Over time the rubber dissolved to create a sticky fluid which would self ignite when the bottle was broked.

Worried neighbour Trevor Neale, 78, a retired firefighter, said he was astounded that these potentially dangerous grenades had been found so close.

'It is such a shock that something like this could be discovered in the area.

'I was a fireman for more than 50 years and never had to deal with anything like this - I still can't believe it.

'I saw emergency services arrive here at around 4pm on Saturday and they have been here ever since - I think they know they need to be extra careful with chemicals like these.'

According to neighbour William Ashfield, 78, the three-bedroomed semi-detached houses along Belbroughton road had been built in the Sixties.

He said: 'I moved into my house on the road in 1966, three years after the houses had been built.

'Before the area was developed this was all farm land - grazing land for cows and sheep.

'The bombs must have been buried during the war and have laid hidden since - it is extraordinary to know we have been so close to disaster all these years.'

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Blackleaf, the bomb/granade was planted by Margaret Thatcher in co-operation with Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II.

Just thoughtb I let you know before the usual suspects have a conniption.