'Foreign accent syndrome' leaves woman annoyed by own voice
Provided by: QMI
Written by: QMI Agency
Apr. 19, 2010

It's called foreign accent syndrome, and it's why a German-born British citizen is speaking in a Chinese accent.
Sarah Colwill, a 35-year-old IT project co-ordinator, suffered an intense migraine several weeks ago and ever since has been stuck with a strange voice that is, well, foreign to her.
"I was born in Germany but I moved here when I was 18 months old," she told the U.K.'s Daily Mail newspaper. "I've never been to China."
Colwill has suffered from intense migraine headaches for the past ten years. Her condition causes the blood vessels in her brain to expand rapidly, resulting in what can appear to be stroke-like symptoms.

According to researchers at the University of Texas, foreign accent syndrome is characterized by an alteration in timing, intonation and tongue placements in a person's speech, causing them to sound like they're speaking with a foreign accent. It is often associated with stroke victims or other forms of brain damage. It has also been linked to multiple sclerosis patients.

"For the first few weeks it was quite funny, but to think I am stuck like this - my voice has started to annoy me now," Colwill said. "It's not my voice."
Doctors at the University of Southern California recommend speech therapy to re-train sufferers to speak properly, or personal counselling to help them from feeling isolated because of their condition.

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_health_news_details.asp?news_id=30610&nů (external - login to view)

maybe she ate too much fly lice?