Danny Williams has 80% approval rating

dreamwatcher

Mar 17, 2010
Edmonton
Danny Williams is the top Premier in Canada with the highest approval rating. Is it his government's policies, is it his charisma? Can we ever see him defeated in an election? Would we like to have him as our Premier of our particular province, and would he make a great Prime Minister?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Would he make a great Prime Minister?

Not really, there'd be nobody for him to play his 'David vs Goliath' routine with.

He's been very successful in ranting about the federal gov't, while taking every penny in equalization, while talking about how self sufficient NL is, while thousands leave the Province to find work every week.

But it plays well with the locals, and that's all that counts when you're the premier.

Here in NB, we just have a raving idiot.

I long for the days of our flamboyant dope-smoking bachelor.

dreamwatcher

Mar 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Premier of N.B was the least popular in the poll, and the Premier of Alta was the second lowest. I would have thought that Nfld would be rolling in cash since Danny fought like heck for decent royalties for their offshore oil, yet they still take equalization payments. I don't get it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Could you tell me how much Newfoundland received this year in Equalization payments?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Danny Williams is the top Premier in Canada with the highest approval rating. Is it his government's policies, is it his charisma? Can we ever see him defeated in an election? Would we like to have him as our Premier of our particular province, and would he make a great Prime Minister?

I'm not an expert on Williams, but from what I've seen and heard on the news I have as much respect for him as I have for ANY politician, mainly because he doesn't take any of Harper's crap and I think he may have Harper eating out of his hand, unless things have changed lately.

dreamwatcher

Mar 17, 2010
Edmonton
I believe Danny Williams said that in two years time for the first time, Newfoundland will become a have province, and that Harper can then shove his equalization program. I like the guy, but then I don't live in Newfoundland. Ahem, I live in Alberta.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I like Danny Williams, he is a cool Politician that cares for his people, and It doesn’t bother me the fact that he is Conservative.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I believe Danny Williams said that in two years time for the first time, Newfoundland will become a have province, and that Harper can then shove his equalization program. I like the guy, but then I don't live in Newfoundland. Ahem, I live in Alberta.

YOu live in Alberta, then that makes you a Conservative of the religious right. All people who live in Alberta are Conservatives (and conservatives) and accolytes of Stephen Harper, who is borrowing money which will put our children and grandchildren in debt for hundreds of years.....................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Just remember you heard it here first ...........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: Ron in Regina

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
YOu live in Alberta, then that makes you a Conservative of the religious right. All people who live in Alberta are Conservatives (and conservatives) and accolytes of Stephen Harper, who is borrowing money which will put our children and grandchildren in debt for hundreds of years.....................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Just remember you heard it here first ...........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Uh, well, actually I think I might have heard that at least once before. Just can't remember who wrote it. :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
DW is an arrogant jerk and I would never vote for him. Charisma! That's a good one. LOL

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
DW is an arrogant jerk and I would never vote for him. Charisma! That's a good one. LOL

You surprised me there - I think Danny is one of the few politicians who has a little character and a lot of back bone. Guess we can't all think the same or it would be a dull world. :smile:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You surprised me there - I think Danny is one of the few politicians who has a little character and a lot of back bone. Guess we can't all think the same or it would be a dull world. :smile:
No surprize JLM. I don't have any different view of him here than I did on CanCon. He's a mouthy little man with short man complex.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

The answer is zero. They received zero in Equalization payments this year.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The answer is zero. They received zero in Equalization payments this year.

True, for the first time. However, don't forget that Williams (and a lot of Newfoundlanders) believe that offshore oil revenue should not be counted against them, and they believe the province should still receive equalization money. That's what his big fight with Harper was all about!

So the fact that NL didn't get equalization money this year is actually something Danny fought AGAINST.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I often find that a guy with a bit of an ugly disposition is a lot more trust worthy than those are "smooth" and polite. Some just say it like it is and let the chips fall where they may............Not much wrong with that (unless it's real close to an election)......LOL