Stock Up on Incandescent Light Bulbs: In Fact, Buy a Lifetime Supply of Them

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

Friday, 12 March 2010 10:42

'The new Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs are a perfect example of this kind of subterfuge. While claiming these new CFL bulbs will reduce carbon emissions,”our” Congress passed legislation stating these new light bulbs must completely replace our everyday incandescent light bulbs by 2014, without telling us of the serious dangers to health and environment, that these mandated bulbs pose.
Most of these new CFLs will make people sick, by emitting radio frequency radiation that contributes to dirty electricity, that can cause migraines, dizziness, nausea, confusion, fatigue, skin irritations, and eye strain.
But far more importantly, CFLs are loaded with deadly mercury, one of the most toxic elements on Earth.'
Read more: Stock Up on Incandescent Light Bulbs: In Fact, Buy a Lifetime Supply of Them

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Stock up on LED lights. None of them will do you any good, though, when the power goes off line.
Best stock up on some car headlights or smaller bulbs for those power down times, too bad it won't repower an ATM machine

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Stock up on LED lights. None of them will do you any good, though, when the power goes off line.
Did you ever see a hat with an LED on it and what it does to CCT cameras? A person's whole head appears as a ball of light. I also believe that can be adopted to a vehicle to do the same thing to photo-radar. (installed in a frame built for the license plate)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I bought one of those CFL bulbs, it was supposed to last 10 years, maybe lasted 6 months...

There is no warning about marcury on the package.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I bought one of those CFL bulbs, it was supposed to last 10 years, maybe lasted 6 months...

There is no warning about marcury on the package.
Don't hook one up to a dimmer switch. It won't last an hour. The mercury can't harm you if you don't break the bulb.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Don't hook one up to a dimmer switch. It won't last an hour. The mercury can't harm you if you don't break the bulb.
I'll tell you just how easy it is to break the bulb. I was at my son's house and needed a lamp. I wanted the shade off so I needed to remove the bulb to get the shade off. All I did was twist it slightly and then very quickly realized that it had been put on too tight and my twist broke the bulb right in my hands. I know about the mercury so I quickly ran into the garage and dumped the bulb into a trash bag and tied it off. I have no idea if I got any kind of dose of mercury. I simply wanted it out of the part of the house the kids would go to. That was only a couple of weeks ago. They are much easier to break than you might think. I was really surprized at how easy it broke. I have turned an incandescent bulb much harder without it breaking.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We prefer halogens or LEDs, but we still have a few CFLs and 1 mercury vapor lamp (it's great for a yardlight).
BTW, you can roll mercury around in your hand and it will do very little to you. Just don't breathe any mercury vapor and don't throw it into the toilet or outside.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We prefer halogens or LEDs, but we still have a few CFLs and 1 mercury vapor lamp (it's great for a yardlight).
BTW, you can roll mercury around in your hand and it will do very little to you. Just don't breathe any mercury vapor and don't throw it into the toilet or outside.
Don't eat it, or feed it to your children or pets, but it's OK to cook with and it's also good to gargle with but don't swallow unless you are a hatter.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Don't eat it, or feed it to your children or pets, but it's OK to cook with and it's also good to gargle with but don't swallow unless you are a hatter.
I think the mercury's gone to your brain; perhaps lead and cadmium as well.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think the mercury's gone to your brain; perhaps lead and cadmium as well.

I watched a special on this about 1 year or so ago - Marketplace or W5 - and it had all the warnings as mentioned - drop one of those suckers and unless you call in a HazMat team you will not get rid of all the mercury - Think of kids and what do the do - touch everything and then lick their hands

As to skin disorders - 100 % correct - I have lupus so switched to halogens and bought a lot of the old type bulbs - going out again to stock up -

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I replaced all the lightbulbs in my house with those CFL Pigtail bulbs
just over four years ago, and though I didn't see any change in my
Power Bills at all....I haven't had to change a single light bulb since
February of 2006.

Last edited:

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
I only use CFL's in areas where the lights are on all the time... like my fishtank which is lighted 12 hours a day and the porch which is lighted at least 2 hours of the night. All other places are standard incandescent bulbs because I cannot stand the long warm up times these CFL's require.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't like the warm up time either. I don't like them but I don't think the world will end if they are used. I will stock up on the old bulbs if they decide to put an end to
these new things.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I replaced all the lightbulbs in my house with those CFL Pigtail bulbs
just over four years ago, and though I didn't see any change in my
Power Bills at all....I haven't had to change a single light bulb since
February of 2006.

Interesting. I did the same thing and cut my power bill in half.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Stretch, you have got to stop posting this unsupported nonsense from your favourite conspiracy site. There is no scientific support for any of the assertions in the link you posted. Didn't you stop to consider that fluorescent lights have been used in businesses and factories for over 70 years without any recorded health hazards?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Friday, 12 March 2010 10:42

'The new Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs are a perfect example of this kind of subterfuge. While claiming these new CFL bulbs will reduce carbon emissions,”our” Congress passed legislation stating these new light bulbs must completely replace our everyday incandescent light bulbs by 2014, without telling us of the serious dangers to health and environment, that these mandated bulbs pose.
Most of these new CFLs will make people sick, by emitting radio frequency radiation that contributes to dirty electricity, that can cause migraines, dizziness, nausea, confusion, fatigue, skin irritations, and eye strain.
But far more importantly, CFLs are loaded with deadly mercury, one of the most toxic elements on Earth.'
Read more: Stock Up on Incandescent Light Bulbs: In Fact, Buy a Lifetime Supply of Them
Funny, all of these apply to fluorescent tubes as well.