Danny Williams - Media Kids Gloves

pfezziwig

Mar 24, 2009
www.healthcarereviews.com
What is it with Newfoundland, they all seem brainwashed or are completely head over heels in love with Premier Danny Williams.

The guys critizises Harper on healthcare policies, claiming he will privatize it. Then he flies to the USA for private healthcare treatment instead of seeking it out in Newfoundland....and then the people of Newfoundland respond to defend him?

So healthcare in Newfoundland is a OK if you are a millionaire that can fly to the US for surguries but a regular middle class commoner is SOL but still defends the guy?

Is this real support or are the media afraid of Williams and his staff, as they pepper him with Kids Gloves on this issue and even his divorce? Does anyone have the guts in Newfoundland to stand up to him?

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
*groan* Not this again.

He's got the money to do what he damn well pleases. Let's see, get your chest bone cracked open and ribs pulled apart in Newfoundland or go to Florida and have nice, easy, non-invasive surgery. I know what I'd do if I had the cash.

Is his divorce of any concern to you or anyone else in this country? He does have a private life and we should respect that.

Until someone better comes along you can bet Newfoundlanders will support Danny Williams to the hilt. In most peoples eyes he has done wonderful things for the province. There's no brainwashing here. Just a recognition of real leadership. Believe me, Newfoundlanders love their politics like they love their hockey. And when they are ready to turf Mr. Williams they will do so. But not as long as he's pulling for the province and moving forward in a positive direction.

So stuff your negativity and get used to the fact that Danny Williams will be around for some time. He's probably at his best when he's getting under the thin skin of people like yourself.

"We stand on guard for thee"

pfezziwig

Mar 24, 2009
I don't have any probelms with Danny Williams hippocritcal attacks on Harper or using his then wife at political events to present an image of a family man, that's to be expected of politicians.

Its the media's spineless investigations into these facts that disgusts me..or is it Williams heavy handed approach to stiffle free speech, like he's now trying with the CBC..not granting them interviews for daring to allow a guest onto a radio talk show who mentioned he's divorced. Does anyone find it a little suspicious how strong the media supports his right to choose private healthcare, if any other premier did that it would be the end of their political career, can you imagine the response from journalist Harper would get going to the states for surgery?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't have any probelms with Danny Williams hippocritcal attacks on Harper or using his then wife at political events to present an image of a family man, that's to be expected of politicians.

Its the media's spineless investigations into these facts that disgusts me..or is it Williams heavy handed approach to stiffle free speech, like he's now trying with the CBC..not granting them interviews for daring to allow a guest onto a radio talk show who mentioned he's divorced. Does anyone find it a little suspicious how strong the media supports his right to choose private healthcare, if any other premier did that it would be the end of their political career, can you imagine the response from journalist Harper would get going to the states for surgery?

Williams is all in favour of those with money doing as they please, as long as the feds keep pouring equalization payments into NL.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What is it with Newfoundland, they all seem brainwashed or are completely head over heels in love with Premier Danny Williams.

The guys critizises Harper on healthcare policies, claiming he will privatize it. Then he flies to the USA for private healthcare treatment instead of seeking it out in Newfoundland....and then the people of Newfoundland respond to defend him?

So healthcare in Newfoundland is a OK if you are a millionaire that can fly to the US for surguries but a regular middle class commoner is SOL but still defends the guy?

Is this real support or are the media afraid of Williams and his staff, as they pepper him with Kids Gloves on this issue and even his divorce? Does anyone have the guts in Newfoundland to stand up to him?

if i fly to another country for medical treatment its my business

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
You mean he should be open and transparent like your pal steve,man you don't know arsehole from a cord of soggy slabs.

pfezziwig

Mar 24, 2009
re:'..can you imagine the response from journalist Harper would get going to the states for surgery?..'

Guess no one cares about the double standard applied to Harper by the media or Williams free ride on private healthcare support even though anyone else in canada would be lynched for this, everyone seems blinded by hate at the mere mention of the word Harper or anything negitive spoken on Williams.

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
Hey, they loved Joey Smallwood and Brian Peckford too. And we Albertans kept electing Ralph Klein. And Quebecers elected Jacques Parizeau. And British Columbians kept electing Bennett I and Bennett II. Etc, etc, etc. Go figure.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t see what the big deal is about Danny Williams going to USA for medical treatment. Many people go abroad for medical treatment; medical tourism is a booming industry. And not only USA, people go to places like India, Pakistan etc., where top quality medical care is to be had at very reasonable prices.

And if Harper decided to go abroad for medical treatment, I wouldn’t have any problem with that either, as long as he is not using taxpayer’s money. As long as he is using is own money, he is entitled to do what he wants with his money. I have plenty of problems with Harper, but that wouldn’t be one of them.

In Canada we provide good quality health care service for everybody, but I don’t think anybody would claim that Canadian health service is the best in the world. So if somebody wants to go abroad for something better, what is the problem?

Personally I don’t know much about Danny Williams to judge what kind of Premier he is. However, I wouldn’t condemn him for going abroad for health care. That is his right.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
So, what was Danny's big argument last year, when he insisted that NL needed equalization payments no matter how much offshore oil revenue it received?

He seems to have changed his tune this week, hasn't he?

Paul Martin had promised to exempt natural resources from the equalization formula. Along comes Stephen Harper who firmed up that promise in his early campaign speeches. But shortly after he was elected prime minister with a minority vote he promptly reneged on that promise and began a campaign to discredit the province on the national stage, with the help of the Globe and Mail. The war of words between the province and the feds was on. Unfortunately for Harper he misjudged Williams' resolve to fight hard for every inch of ground. Here's just one of many letters written by the Newfoundland government to Ottawa trying to bring this issue to a head.

Anyway, Newfoundland has dealt with the setback and has moved on. Maybe it's time for you to do the same.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Mr. Williams can bask in the glory of one very unusual political move. He called the bluff of a big oil company and forced it to pay what the NF&L government demanded instead of surrendering in the manner traditional for provincial premiers. He is going to be able to carry that success a long way.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That was a major coup for Williams. His business skills paid off during those negotiations. How can the electorate condemn a leader when he comes through with deals like that? He should be elevated to sainthood. Get Ratzinger on the line.