MOTHER of Earthquakes hits Chile

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
An earthquake, about 8 times as bad as the one hitting Haiti has struck Chile, no estimate of the final death toll yet. Tsunami imminent.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
An earthquake, about 8 times as bad as the one hitting Haiti has struck Chile, no estimate of the final death toll yet. Tsunami imminent.

Correction- C.B.C. has just reported it is 1000 times as bad as the Haiti quake.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Tsunami confirmed. Size? Easter Island first main target. Arrival time was about an hour ago.
“A village on the island is half-flooded, people have been evacuated to higher elevations,” the president said, adding there had been extreme damage from the tsunami.
The 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit the country at 3.34 a.m. (1204 IST), some 89 km to the north of Chile’s second largest city Concepcion.
President Bachelet rushed to the national disaster centre to assess the situation and help in relief efforts.
The tremor also damaged buildings in Santiago, about 320 km north of the epicentre, besides disrupting telephone and power lines in some areas.
Several aftershocks, including one that measured 6.9 on the Richter scale, followed the initial quake.
Chilean state television said the president was expected to arrive in the quake-hit area. Areas near the stricken Biobio Region, Maule and Araucania, were declared a zone of catastrophe.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has issued a warning along the coast of Chile and Peru, and issued a tsunami watch for Colombia, Ecuador, Antarctica, Panama and Costa Rica.
Some 50 nations have been placed under a tsunami advisory. Areas of concern are the Hawaiian Islands, French Polynesia, Australia, and Japan.
Russia’s far eastern region was also advised, but local emergency authorities have said that the region is in no danger.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Tsunami strikes Chilean island group

More on this topic

A 3-meter tsunami wave hit on Saturday the Robinson Crusoe island, the largest in the Chilean Juan Fernandez archipelago, following a powerful earthquake which struck Chile earlier in the day, the country's president, Michelle Bachelet, said.
"A village on the island is half-flooded, people have been evacuated to higher elevations," the president said, adding there had been extreme damage from the tsunami.
The 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit the Latin American country in the early hours of Saturday. The tremor occurred some 89 kilometers (55.3 miles) to the north of Chile's second largest city Concepcion, some 341 kilometers (212 miles) from the capital of Santiago.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center put out a warning along the coastlines of Chile and Peru, and issued a tsunami watch for Colombia, Ecuador, Antarctica, Panama and Costa Rica.
Some 50 nations have been placed under a tsunami advisory. Areas of concern are the Hawaiian Islands, French Polynesia, Australia, and Japan. Russia's Far Eastern region was also advised, but local emergency authorities have stated that the region is in no danger.
BUENOS AIRES, February 27 (RIA Novosti)

Tsunami strikes Chilean island group | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This tsunami appears to be about 1/10th the size of the 2004 Indian Ocean event.

the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, Asian Tsunami, Indonesian Tsunami, and Boxing Day Tsunami.

The earthquake was caused by subduction and triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing nearly 230,000 people in fourteen countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 meters (100 feet) high. It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand were the hardest hit.

With a magnitude of between 9.1 and 9.3, it is the second largest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph. This earthquake had the longest duration of faulting ever observed, between 8.3 and 10 minutes. It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 cm (0.4 inches)[5] and triggered other earthquakes as far away as Alaska.[6]

wiki

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Tsunami bulletin number 008
pacific tsunami warning center/noaa/nws
issued at 1346z 27 feb 2010

this bulletin applies to areas within and bordering the pacific
ocean and adjacent seas...except alaska...british columbia...
Washington...oregon and california.

... A widespread tsunami warning is in effect ...

A tsunami warning is in effect for

chile / peru / ecuador / colombia / antarctica / panama /
costa rica / nicaragua / pitcairn / honduras / el salvador /
guatemala / fr. Polynesia / mexico / cook islands / kiribati /
kermadec is / niue / new zealand / tonga / american samoa /
samoa / jarvis is. / wallis-futuna / tokelau / fiji /
australia / hawaii / palmyra is. / tuvalu / vanuatu /
howland-baker / new caledonia / johnston is. / solomon is. /
nauru / marshall is. / midway is. / kosrae / papua new guinea /
pohnpei / wake is. / chuuk / russia / marcus is. / indonesia /
n. Marianas / guam / yap / belau / japan / philippines /
chinese taipei

this bulletin is issued as advice to government agencies. Only
national and local government agencies have the authority to make
decisions regarding the official state of alert in their area and
any actions to be taken in response.

An earthquake has occurred with these preliminary parameters

origin time - 0634z 27 feb 2010
coordinates - 36.1 south 72.6 west
depth - 55 km
location - near coast of central chile
magnitude - 8.8

measurements or reports of tsunami wave activity

gauge location lat lon time ampl per
------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----
easter cl 27.2s 109.5w 1205z 0.35m / 1.1ft 52min
ancud cl 41.9s 73.8w 0838z 0.62m / 2.0ft 84min
callao la-punta pe 12.1s 77.2w 1029z 0.36m / 1.2ft 30min
arica cl 18.5s 70.3w 1008z 0.94m / 3.1ft 42min
iquique cl 20.2s 70.1w 0907z 0.28m / 0.9ft 68min
antofagasta cl 23.2s 70.4w 0941z 0.49m / 1.6ft 52min
dart lima 32412 18.0s 86.4w 0941z 0.24m / 0.8ft 36min
caldera cl 27.1s 70.8w 0843z 0.45m / 1.5ft 20min
talcahuano cl 36.7s 73.4w 0653z 2.34m / 7.7ft 88min
coquimbo cl 30.0s 71.3w 0852z 1.32m / 4.3ft 30min
corral cl 39.9s 73.4w 0739z 0.90m / 2.9ft 16min
san felix cl 26.3s 80.1w 0815z 0.53m / 1.7ft 08min
valparaiso cl 33.0s 71.6w 0708z 1.29m / 4.2ft 20min

lat - latitude (n-north, s-south)
lon - longitude (e-east, w-west)
time - time of the measurement (z is utc is greenwich time)
ampl - tsunami amplitude measured relative to normal sea level.
It is ...not... Crest-to-trough wave height.
Values are given in both meters(m) and feet(ft).
Per - period of time in minutes(min) from one wave to the next.

Evaluation

sea level readings confirm that a tsunami has been generated
which could cause widespread damage. Authorities should take
appropriate action in response to this threat. This center will
continue to monitor sea level data to determine the extent and
severity of the threat.

A tsunami is a series of waves and the first wave may not be the
largest. Tsunami wave heights cannot be predicted and can vary
significantly along a coast due to local effects. The time from
one tsunami wave to the next can be five minutes to an hour, and
the threat can continue for many hours as multiple waves arrive.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/pacific/2010/pacific.2010.02.27.134506.txt

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I watched the news for a couple of hours this morning and not one network could seem to work out the correct time of the hit in Chile - don't they have copies
of time zones in news departments? I wondered if everyone had been pulled out of their beds to broadcast the warnings.... Well I guess I'd be frazzled too....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My hopes and prayers are with all the countries affected by this disaster. What a terrible tragedy.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I hate news like this.
Fortunately there weren't thousands killed.
It's also fortunate that most people go through life oblivious to what close proximity to disaster is like.
8.8 is a biggie, but not near as bad as Alaska's 9.2.

8.8 releases energy equivalent to 15.8 gigatons of TNT or 66.6 exajoules ( 66.6 X 10 to the 18th power)

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A colleague of mine is down in Chile. Supposed to be returning tomorrow. Hope all is well there.

As for the rest of the Pacific, NOAA has released an image of what their models predict as far as waves associated with the energy released by this quake:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My hopes and prayers are with all the countries affected by this disaster. What a terrible tragedy.

Sure is Mowich, it's too early to tell much yet I guess but I have a feeling it's not destructive on the magnitude of Haiti,,,,,,,,,keeping my fingers crossed.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sure is Mowich, it's too early to tell much yet I guess but I have a feeling it's not destructive on the magnitude of Haiti,,,,,,,,,keeping my fingers crossed.
That Tsunami is due to hit our shores (Victoria and Tofino) at 3:07 PM today.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The first Tsunami hit hawaii, no damage, they are expecting several more waves over the next couple of hours.