Pierre Eliot Trudeau School Proposed Name In Calgary

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I think naming schools after famous politicians is good. I agree. I saw on the CBC
a school has already been named after Louis Riel, who launched a armed rebellion
against the govt.

There ought to be more schools, airports, mountains named after famous politicians. We already use the names of explorers and judges in BC for
schools. Not to mention about a dozen places in BC are named after David Lam,
a local guy.

Royal Oak folks want to skip Trudeau school

CBE asks community to consider name

By Sarah McGinnis, Calgary HeraldFebruary 7, 2010

W hen it comes to Pierre Trudeau, Calgarians have long memories.
Three decades after the former prime minister's reviled National Energy Program was blamed for wreaking havoc on Alberta's oil and gas industry, a proposal to possibly name a new elementary school in his honour has sparked outrage by some who say the name has no place on a Calgary institution.

"He absolutely hated Alberta. He absolutely hated Alberta politicians. Why would we want to name a school after him?" asked Peter Litchenfield.

This fall, a new kindergarten-to-Grade 4 school will open in Royal Oak and residents are being asked to help the Calgary Board of Education christen the northwest elementary.

In a recent letter, the board put forward three potential names: Royal Oak School, Pierre Elliott Trudeau School, and Daryl K. Seaman School, after the prominent Calgary businessman and philanthropist who died last year.

The Trudeau suggestion has generated considerable chatter online from Calgarians opposed to even considering the idea.

"It's a disgrace. I think there's probably a thousand better names that Calgarians would find more suitable," said Edie Hiltz, shopping for groceries Saturday near the school site.

She said she was shocked when she read about the proposal through an e-mail from Royal Oak community association.

This isn't the first time the CBE has named a school after a former prime minister. This city has schools dedicated to Sir John A. Macdonald, John Diefenbaker, Lester B. Pearson and Sir Wilfrid Laurier -- two Conservatives and two Liberals. Even former British prime minister Sir Winston Churchill is represented.

But resident Janet McKinnon said she preferred naming the new Royal Oak school after the community -- helping everyone know where the school is located -- instead of after such a polarizing figure.

"What did Trudeau do for the education system? What did he do for Calgary?" said McKinnon.

Not everyone was against the idea of honouring Trudeau with a school name.
"I know in the West there's a lot of controversy with Pierre Trudeau. But if you look past what happened with the oil, he did do a lot of good things in this country," said Isabel Janes.

Naming a school after a historic figure also sets a tone and atmosphere for students, she said.

Trudeau was one of three names recommended by a naming committee and is by no means the final name for the school, said CBE spokesman Ted Flitton.
"It's important to recognize it's not about politics. It's about how they lived their lives and how they reflect the mission and values of public education," said Flitton.
"The two gentlemen whose names have been put forward are civic-minded, lifelong learners and contributed to society around them."

If people have strong feelings for or against the proposed Trudeau name they, should make them known to the district, said Flitton.
Community members have until Feb. 16 to vote on the proposed school names or to suggest others.

CBE trustees are expected to make the final decision Feb. 23.

smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I saw on the CBC a school has already been named after Louis Riel.
I can think of several. So what's your point? Riel is one of the reasons Canada has the high standards of rights and freedoms it does because guys like Riel and Dumont wouldn't take **** from a corporation trying impose canadian law on the terrritories which weren't under the authority of Ottawa and if it were he wouldn't be included in those rights because of his mixed race.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I can think of several. So what's your point? Riel is one of the reasons Canada has the high standards of rights and freedoms it does because guys like Riel and Dumont wouldn't take **** from a corporation trying impose canadian law on the terrritories which weren't under the authority of Ottawa and if it were he wouldn't be included in those rights because of his mixed race.

Sometimes, being a country born on the losing side of conflict-the United Empire Loyalists fought on the British and losing side in the American Revolution, who went north and made a new country in Canada-you tend to support the underdog too long. Riel is in that tradition. Naming a school after Riel, no problem.

Time to support the winners in our history. The point is Riel is less known in Canada than John A Macdonald and other federalist politicians and they should have more schools and places named after them.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
We have a school here in Durham named after him.

Don't forget dude, that stuff is acceptable here in the eclectic, open minded centre of the universe. The west still can't shake their right wing inferiority complex.
Of course I heard there is going to be a Danny Williams Elementary in Fort McMurray. ;-)

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Don't forget dude, that stuff is acceptable here in the eclectic, open minded centre of the universe. The west still can't shake their right wing inferiority complex.
Of course I heard there is going to be a Danny Williams Elementary in Fort McMurray. ;-)

Don't forget that almost every seat in Durham belongs to the Tories.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The "Pierre Elliot Trudeau" Elementary School in Calgary, Alberta? That
would be like having the "Adolph Hitler School of the Arts" in Jerusalem. 8O

Whatever...I think they should name it after him for the sheer comedic value. :lol:

A Danny Williams Elementary in Fort McMurray? That wouldn't surprise me and
would fit in quite well in Fort Mac. ;-)

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I can think of a lot of better politicians than trudeau to have a school named after. trudeau was a disgrace and an embarassment.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think naming schools after famous politicians is good. I agree. I saw on the CBC
a school has already been named after Louis Riel, who launched a armed rebellion
against the govt.

There ought to be more schools, airports, mountains named after famous politicians. We already use the names of explorers and judges in BC for
schools. Not to mention about a dozen places in BC are named after David Lam,
a local guy.

CBE asks community to consider name

By Sarah McGinnis, Calgary HeraldFebruary 7, 2010

W hen it comes to Pierre Trudeau, Calgarians have long memories.
Three decades after the former prime minister's reviled National Energy Program was blamed for wreaking havoc on Alberta's oil and gas industry, a proposal to possibly name a new elementary school in his honour has sparked outrage by some who say the name has no place on a Calgary institution.

"He absolutely hated Alberta. He absolutely hated Alberta politicians. Why would we want to name a school after him?" asked Peter Litchenfield.

This fall, a new kindergarten-to-Grade 4 school will open in Royal Oak and residents are being asked to help the Calgary Board of Education christen the northwest elementary.

In a recent letter, the board put forward three potential names: Royal Oak School, Pierre Elliott Trudeau School, and Daryl K. Seaman School, after the prominent Calgary businessman and philanthropist who died last year.

The Trudeau suggestion has generated considerable chatter online from Calgarians opposed to even considering the idea.

"It's a disgrace. I think there's probably a thousand better names that Calgarians would find more suitable," said Edie Hiltz, shopping for groceries Saturday near the school site.

She said she was shocked when she read about the proposal through an e-mail from Royal Oak community association.

This isn't the first time the CBE has named a school after a former prime minister. This city has schools dedicated to Sir John A. Macdonald, John Diefenbaker, Lester B. Pearson and Sir Wilfrid Laurier -- two Conservatives and two Liberals. Even former British prime minister Sir Winston Churchill is represented.

But resident Janet McKinnon said she preferred naming the new Royal Oak school after the community -- helping everyone know where the school is located -- instead of after such a polarizing figure.

"What did Trudeau do for the education system? What did he do for Calgary?" said McKinnon.

Not everyone was against the idea of honouring Trudeau with a school name.
"I know in the West there's a lot of controversy with Pierre Trudeau. But if you look past what happened with the oil, he did do a lot of good things in this country," said Isabel Janes.

Naming a school after a historic figure also sets a tone and atmosphere for students, she said.

Trudeau was one of three names recommended by a naming committee and is by no means the final name for the school, said CBE spokesman Ted Flitton.
"It's important to recognize it's not about politics. It's about how they lived their lives and how they reflect the mission and values of public education," said Flitton.
"The two gentlemen whose names have been put forward are civic-minded, lifelong learners and contributed to society around them."

If people have strong feelings for or against the proposed Trudeau name they, should make them known to the district, said Flitton.
Community members have until Feb. 16 to vote on the proposed school names or to suggest others.

CBE trustees are expected to make the final decision Feb. 23.

smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Does that mean the kids will be chauvinist, arrogant, anti- American, and Marxist? lol
The school logo will be the Trudeau salute

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
What I find interesting is that the Libs name airports after their mentors, icons, idols by federal edict with no deference to, or consultation with the locals. Sure Pearson was born in Toronto, but I believe he represented Algoma East, and wasn't as loved as we all would think, (and the airport was in Malton before the amalgamation, whatever). But Trudeau?, there's a real thinker, Mirabel was his baby, not Dorval. At least the Diefenbaker and Stanfield airports were agreed to by the folks who live nearby and use the things. Though I'm still waiting for them to name Edmonton's international airport after Bill Hawrelak :p, now that would be fitting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Only one PM gave us the Charter after 14 others.

Diefenwanker gave us the plagarized Bill of Rights, ulcers and a he got a big lake.

How would you like to go to Bowell High or climb Bowell mtn?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How about having a Jack Layton Senior High in West Vancouver?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think some are overreacting to naming a school after Liberalman... Er, sorry, I meant Trudeau. However, I do agree that it would be wise to keep the names of politicians off the list of options just because of the obvious partisan conflicts they could bring up, as has happened in this case. Could they not have named the schools after other famous Canadians instead? What about Norman Bethune for example? Or a famous author who'd made a contribution to our literature. OK, Trudeau was an author too, granted, but how does his literature stand up to the rest for example?