The Queen plays dinner lady as she hands out prizes to church kids

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Queen today played the role of dinner lady whilst attending church during the last day of her winter break.

The Queen has been staying at her family's home in Sandringham, Norfolk, where she traditionally spends Christmas, the New Year and her winter break.

Attended by her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, she attended St Peter and St Paul's church in nearby West Newton where she handed out prizes to children for their good attendance at the church.

Britain's kindly monarch, 83, dressed in pink, then bought the kids a meal of sausage and mash each.

Locals have expressed their disappointment that the Queen is to return to Buckingham Palace in London this week.

Mary Relph, 76, who has been watching the royal family for 65 years, said: ''She looked beautiful in pink.

''I'm very sad that we won't be seeing her for some time. It's always upsetting when the Queen goes back.''

Members of the public and tourists, including a Bulgarian student, lined the streets to see her.

Saturday was also the Queen's 58th anniversary on the Throne. She became Britain's Head of State despite being a young girl of just 25 when her father, King George VI, died of lung cancer on 6th February 1952.

Queen plays dinner lady

07 Feb 2010
The Telegraph

The Queen played the role of dinner lady while attending church on the last day of her winter break.

The Queen meets well-wishers after attending the Sunday Service at West Newton Church near Sandringham

Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, she went to St Peter and St Paul's church in West Newton near to the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

She handed out prizes to children for their good attendance at church and then brought them lunch of sausage and mash.

Charlie Adams, who helps out at the Sunday school for the parish of Sandringham and West Newton, said: ''The Queen and the Duke spent a lot of time talking to the children and their parents.

''About 20 of them performed a version of Daniel and the Lion's Den for her. They practised so hard.''

The Queen, who was wearing a fuchsia coat with a matching hat and black knee high boots, met the crowds lining the street to wish her well.

Royal watchers said they were disappointed that the 83-year-old monarch is due to leave the Norfolk estate to return to Buckingham Palace next week.

Mary Relph, 76, who has been watching the royal family for 65 years, said: ''She looked beautiful in pink.

''I'm very sad that we won't be seeing her for some time. It's always upsetting when the Queen goes back.''

John Harris, 66, added: ''The end of the season is sad.''

Jordon Chervenkoff, a student from Bulgaria, came to line the streets to get a glimpse of the monarch.

The 21-year-old said: ''At first I came out of curiosity, but I also wanted to come and show my admiration for the Queen. It was a great honour to meet her.''

Yesterday, the Queen reflected on the anniversary of her accession to the throne at the Sandringham estate.

She became monarch 58 years ago on the death of her father King George VI.

King George VI

He died on February 6, 1952, at the estate in Norfolk after suffering from lung cancer.

She is set to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee - 60 years as Queen - in 2012.

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited: