Cracked it! Woman finds six double yolk eggs in one box beating trillion-to-one odds

The chances of cracking open a double yoked egg are pretty slim - one tenth of one per cent.

So the chances of cracking open SIX double yoked eggs are almost infinitesimal - a trillion-to-one chance to be pedantic.

But that's exactly what happened to Fiona Exon.

The art gallery owner bought a box of six eggs from Morrisons and took them back to her home in Eden Valley, Cumbria, to make scrambled eggs.

She was astounded when, after she cracked open the first, she discovered it had two yolks.

She could barely believe what was happening when she cracked open the second and found it, too, was double yoked.

After she cracked open all six and found they were ALL double yoked she must have thought someone up there was laughing at her.

Next week, Exon hopes that she will win the Lotto, the Euro Millions, Thunderball, the Dream Number, the Daily Play and the Pools.

Cracked it! Woman finds six double yolk eggs in one box beating trillion-to-one odds

By Daily Mail Reporter
03rd February 2010
Daily Mail

The chances of cracking open a double yolked egg are pretty slim. One tenth of one per cent in fact.

So imagine the odds of going through a half-dozen box from the supermarket and finding that all of them had two yolks.

Fiona Exon has done exactly that. The art gallery owner was preparing scrambled eggs for Sunday breakfast when she started cracking the eggs.

Beating the odds: Fiona Exon found these six double egg yolks in one box

As each one turned out to be double-yolked, she went from being pleasantly surprised to shocked.

Understandably - because the odds of a whole box of six being so is supposedly one in a trillion.

Miss Exon, who lives in the Eden Valley in Cumbria, said: 'We bought a half dozen eggs from Morrisons and when I started to crack them to make scrambled eggs I was astounded when the first was a double-yolker.

Gobsmacked: Fiona Exon couldn't believe her luck when she found double-yolkers in every egg

'I had only ever seen one double yolk egg before, and that was when I was young. Cracking the second, I gasped when it too was a double.

'When the third was the same I called my partner Hector through to the kitchen and when the fourth was a double, then the fifth we began to feel a little spooked.

'By the sixth double we were just gobsmacked. I had to get my camera and take a picture.'

British Egg Information Service spokesman Kevin Coles said: 'The chances of an egg coming out with a double yolk are 0.1 per cent. It's extremely unusual to find six such eggs together in the one box.'

Mr Coles said double eggs were common among younger hens and added: 'When hens start laying eggs they often produce double eggs.'

Mr Coles said double yolk eggs were larger, so that may explain why they would be grouped together by automatic sorting machines.

Studies in America have used selective breeding to increase the chances of double yolks, but the idea did not take off commercially because of the inability to guarantee a double yolk in every egg meant it was impossible to market the concept.
hmmmmmmm....... we've cracked 11 eggs in one dozen double yokers. Guess it depends on where you buy your eggs. I sure as hell wouldn't consider 6 to be a huge deal. Definatley not worth a news report.
All my eggs are double yoked, I get them fresh from the farm, didn't think it was a big deal.
Quote: Originally Posted by GroundWaterView Post

All my eggs are double yoked, I get them fresh from the farm, didn't think it was a big deal.

Egg Zachary. I made an omelet for breaky this morning and used 3 eggs. All three were dbl yolkers. I think what is strange is that with factory eggs, it isn't common. People like us who have our own chickens get dbl yolkers lots.
I can buy double yolkers any time I want.
Once again Blackleaf and the rest of the Brits are making much ado about nothing...
no new posts