China Leading Global Race to Make Clean Energy

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
While reading the New York Times yesterday, I came across this article on China and thought I would share it with everyone. It appears that China is set to take-over manufacturing of renewable energy technologies. It makes me wonder what Canada is doing in the field and why we aren’t doing more. Sure our labor costs are higher but that should not stop us from becoming a leader in technologies that will help cut energy costs in the future. What do you think?

China Is Leading the Race to Make Renewable Energy - NYTimes.com

By KEITH BRADSHER
Published: January 30, 2010

“TIANJIN, China — China vaulted past competitors in Denmark, Germany, Spain and the United States last year to become the world’s largest maker of wind turbines, and is poised to expand even further this year.”

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
The party running our country right now is called The Conservative Party of Canada. The only thing they're truly efficient at is conserving old ways of doing things. They have nothing new to offer and are afraid of change. It's in their conservative nature to fear novelty.

I wouldn't expect any significant moves towards renewable energy from the federal government as long as they're in power.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The party running our country right now is called The Conservative Party of Canada. The only thing they're truly efficient at is conserving old ways of doing things. They have nothing new to offer and are afraid of change. It's in their conservative nature to fear novelty.

I wouldn't expect any significant moves towards renewable energy from the federal government as long as they're in power.

Do you think the liberal party would jump all over the chance to support renewable technologies in Canada?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Do you think the liberal party would jump all over the chance to support renewable technologies in Canada?
Only if they think the public thinks it's a good idea. They won't ask to find out what the public thinks, though. Too arrogant.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

What technologies would a carbon tax or "green shift" have been most favourable to?

Whether or not they would go that route again though, hard to say.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
While reading the New York Times yesterday, I came across this article on China and thought I would share it with everyone. It appears that China is set to take-over manufacturing of renewable energy technologies. It makes me wonder what Canada is doing in the field and why we aren’t doing more. Sure our labor costs are higher but that should not stop us from becoming a leader in technologies that will help cut energy costs in the future. What do you think?

China Is Leading the Race to Make Renewable Energy - NYTimes.com

By KEITH BRADSHER
Published: January 30, 2010

“TIANJIN, China — China vaulted past competitors in Denmark, Germany, Spain and the United States last year to become the world’s largest maker of wind turbines, and is poised to expand even further this year.”

I have no doubt that China can make wind turbines faster than most countries because of their cheap labour. I would also bet that the wind turbines they are building were not designed in China.