Michaelle Jean - Our Prayers Are With You Now

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I cannot imagine the profound sorrow that our GG is suffering right now. Though Canada has moved swiftly to offer aid and support for Haitians citizens, it must be absolutely overwhelming to watch news reports of the utter destruction of her homeland. I know that she has family and friends still living in the country and not being able to be with them during this time must be heartbreaking. I pray for her, the people, and the country of Haiti.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Why single her out? What about the other Haitians living in Canada? Don't they deserve prayers too?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I cannot imagine the profound sorrow that our GG is suffering right now. Though Canada has moved swiftly to offer aid and support for Haitians citizens, it must be absolutely overwhelming to watch news reports of the utter destruction of her homeland. I know that she has family and friends still living in the country and not being able to be with them during this time must be heartbreaking. I pray for her, the people, and the country of Haiti.
Right on, VI. If I thought it would do any good, I'd pray, too. So I will just hope the issue is remedied in good time and the survivors can get on with life. Perhaps a rebuild will be a good thing for the country.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Why single her out? What about the other Haitians living in Canada? Don't they deserve prayers too?

Please, if you think of someone from Haiti, post to them, for pete's sake.

Michaelle Jean is our Governor General and an outstanding spokesperson for the Haitian community both in her birth-country and here in Canada. Any Haitian citizen who reads this and knows of Michaelle Jean would know that by addressing her sorrow, I am also addressing theirs, or I would hope they do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
oooops, big blunder. I called you "VI" Mowich. Sorry. *sheeepish look*

crushem

Jan 13, 2010
island life
Yes, the earthquake, the deaths and the destruction it caused is a terrible thing.

But, has M.J. or any Canadian offical ever spoken out about the corrupt aristocracy left behind by "papa Doc" Duvalier that still owns and controls everything in the country leaving nothing but the dredges for the rest of the citzenry? Nor has she or any other Canadian offical honestly questioned why Canada has been pouring tens of billions of taxpayer dollars into this corrupted nation and its regime for years without demanding an accounting of how the aid is being distributed and why aid is needed in the first place?

I think not.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes, the earthquake, the deaths and the destruction it caused is a terrible thing.

But, has M.J. or any Canadian offical ever spoken out about the corrupt aristocracy left behind by "papa Doc" Duvalier that still owns and controls everything in the country leaving nothing but the dredges for the rest of the citzenry? Nor has she or any other Canadian offical honestly questioned why Canada has been pouring tens of billions of taxpayer dollars into this corrupted nation and its regime for years without demanding an accounting of how the aid is being distributed and why aid is needed in the first place?

I think not.

What did you do, join the Pat Robertson club? hey brought this on themselves by worshipping the devil?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Right on, VI. If I thought it would do any good, I'd pray, too. So I will just hope the issue is remedied in good time and the survivors can get on with life. Perhaps a rebuild will be a good thing for the country.

I also ask the Universe to harness the positive energy folks like me are directing towards the people of Haiti in order that it might strengthen them right now.

I hope they take their time re-building, maybe ask Japan for a few pointers. Poorly constructed buildings seem to be the main reason for so many of the deaths. I would rather have been in a grass hut when the quake struck than any of those buildings I’ve seen on the news.

Just finished listening to Michaelle Jean’s talk to the media this morning. I caught bits of it earlier but this was in its entirety. I cannot remember the last time I listened to such a heart-wrenching speech. The anguish caused by this latest disaster, coming so close on the heels of the hurricanes, is breath-taking in its scope.

The Canadian government was quick in its response to the disaster. In addition, our government is working with the US to eliminate overlap on the ground. I hope other governments will do the same. The last thing Haiti needs is a bunch of egos getting in the way of helping its people. There must be coordinated efforts at all levels, IMHO.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I think not.

I will look into that, crushem. At the moment, I am simply thinking of fellow human beings who through no fault of their own are suffering unbearable pain and sorrow.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I think not.

If you can find a link between corruption, regimes and earthquakes, then you may have a point.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
It is not the time to place blame for anything now! What is important is that they get help ASAP.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's a terrible tragedy in that impoverished nation. I'm not a man of prayer either but I will put my faith in the common good of mankind to come forward and do all we can to help Haiti in it's time of need. I will do my part by donating whatever I can to help.

Ms. Jean you are a beautiful human being, inside and out. My heart is full of sadness for all the people of Haiti.