Michaelle Jean - Our Prayers Are With You Now

Mowich
I cannot imagine the profound sorrow that our GG is suffering right now. Though Canada has moved swiftly to offer aid and support for Haitians citizens, it must be absolutely overwhelming to watch news reports of the utter destruction of her homeland. I know that she has family and friends still living in the country and not being able to be with them during this time must be heartbreaking. I pray for her, the people, and the country of Haiti.

Risus
Why single her out? What about the other Haitians living in Canada? Don't they deserve prayers too?

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

Why single her out? What about the other Haitians living in Canada? Don't they deserve prayers too?

She's the only one we know.

VanIsle

They do indeed and they shall have them.

TenPenny

I guess you have trouble reading to the end of a post.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I cannot imagine the profound sorrow that our GG is suffering right now. Though Canada has moved swiftly to offer aid and support for Haitians citizens, it must be absolutely overwhelming to watch news reports of the utter destruction of her homeland. I know that she has family and friends still living in the country and not being able to be with them during this time must be heartbreaking. I pray for her, the people, and the country of Haiti.

Right on, VI. If I thought it would do any good, I'd pray, too. So I will just hope the issue is remedied in good time and the survivors can get on with life. Perhaps a rebuild will be a good thing for the country.

Mowich

Please, if you think of someone from Haiti, post to them, for pete's sake.

Michaelle Jean is our Governor General and an outstanding spokesperson for the Haitian community both in her birth-country and here in Canada. Any Haitian citizen who reads this and knows of Michaelle Jean would know that by addressing her sorrow, I am also addressing theirs, or I would hope they do.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I guess you have trouble reading to the end of a post.

Thanks, TenPenny.

AnnaG
oooops, big blunder. I called you "VI" Mowich. Sorry. *sheeepish look*

crushem
Yes, the earthquake, the deaths and the destruction it caused is a terrible thing.

But, has M.J. or any Canadian offical ever spoken out about the corrupt aristocracy left behind by "papa Doc" Duvalier that still owns and controls everything in the country leaving nothing but the dredges for the rest of the citzenry? Nor has she or any other Canadian offical honestly questioned why Canada has been pouring tens of billions of taxpayer dollars into this corrupted nation and its regime for years without demanding an accounting of how the aid is being distributed and why aid is needed in the first place?

I think not.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by crushemView Post

Yes, the earthquake, the deaths and the destruction it caused is a terrible thing.

But, has M.J. or any Canadian offical ever spoken out about the corrupt aristocracy left behind by "papa Doc" Duvalier that still owns and controls everything in the country leaving nothing but the dredges for the rest of the citzenry? Nor has she or any other Canadian offical honestly questioned why Canada has been pouring tens of billions of taxpayer dollars into this corrupted nation and its regime for years without demanding an accounting of how the aid is being distributed and why aid is needed in the first place?

I think not.

What did you do, join the Pat Robertson club? hey brought this on themselves by worshipping the devil?

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Right on, VI. If I thought it would do any good, I'd pray, too. So I will just hope the issue is remedied in good time and the survivors can get on with life. Perhaps a rebuild will be a good thing for the country.

I also ask the Universe to harness the positive energy folks like me are directing towards the people of Haiti in order that it might strengthen them right now.

I hope they take their time re-building, maybe ask Japan for a few pointers. Poorly constructed buildings seem to be the main reason for so many of the deaths. I would rather have been in a grass hut when the quake struck than any of those buildings Iíve seen on the news.

Just finished listening to Michaelle Jeanís talk to the media this morning. I caught bits of it earlier but this was in its entirety. I cannot remember the last time I listened to such a heart-wrenching speech. The anguish caused by this latest disaster, coming so close on the heels of the hurricanes, is breath-taking in its scope.

The Canadian government was quick in its response to the disaster. In addition, our government is working with the US to eliminate overlap on the ground. I hope other governments will do the same. The last thing Haiti needs is a bunch of egos getting in the way of helping its people. There must be coordinated efforts at all levels, IMHO.

Mowich

I think not.

I will look into that, crushem. At the moment, I am simply thinking of fellow human beings who through no fault of their own are suffering unbearable pain and sorrow.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

oooops, big blunder. I called you "VI" Mowich. Sorry. *sheeepish look*

Not to worry, Anna.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I will look into that, crushem. At the moment, I am simply thinking of fellow human beings who through no fault of their own are suffering unbearable pain and sorrow.

Well said

lone wolf

I think not.

If you can find a link between corruption, regimes and earthquakes, then you may have a point.

Sparrow
It is not the time to place blame for anything now! What is important is that they get help ASAP.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by SparrowView Post

It is not the time to place blame for anything now! What is important is that they get help ASAP.

Egg Zachary!

mt_pockets1000
It's a terrible tragedy in that impoverished nation. I'm not a man of prayer either but I will put my faith in the common good of mankind to come forward and do all we can to help Haiti in it's time of need. I will do my part by donating whatever I can to help.

Ms. Jean you are a beautiful human being, inside and out. My heart is full of sadness for all the people of Haiti.

earth_as_one
Post Earthquake Haiti
WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c1abe49a-0...44feabdc0.html

If you care, and want to help, give money...

CBC's list of aid agencies requiring immediate assistance
CBC News - Canada - Haitian contacts, relief efforts

That's the best way. Many aid groups need cash to pay to move supplies and people to the region.
Last edited by earth_as_one; Jan 13th, 2010 at 11:09 PM..

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by SparrowView Post

According to televangelist Pat Robertson, Haiti is cursed by their pact with the devil:

YouTube - Pat Robertson Calls Quake blessing in Disguise

What an @ss!

earth_as_one
Post Earthquake Haiti
WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES
FT.com / Video & Audio - In pictures: Haiti earthquake

If you care, and want to help, give money...

CBC's list of aid agencies requiring immediate assistance
CBC News - Canada - Haitian contacts, relief efforts

That's the best way. Many aid groups need cash to pay to move supplies and people to the region.

crushem
Quote:

It is not the time to place blame for anything now! What is important is that they get help ASAP

Thankfully no one was blaming either. But can we trust that the money and medical aid being sent there will actually reach those who need it, or will it be siphoned off the way so much of the previous "aid" has been? Can we trust that the money our government sends to the - laughfully named - "government" of Haiti will ever reach those most in need or simply fatten the accounts of the handful of crooks that actually control the country? Can we trust the money won't be used to buy more guns to further intimidate the population?

Can we trust that, as soon as the initial outreach transits from desparate need to contained and managable, the thugs who actually control the nation will not, again, send their goons into the devastated areas and start looting and terrorizing all over again?

Given the history of aid to Haiti, it seems a small thing to expecct full and complete accountability for the cash and resources flowing into that country, especially during this time of emergency. Is that too much too ask?

Canaduh
Something like 10c in every dollar sent actually makes it to the people that need it. Some of the so called "aid" organizations are more interested in their own survival than the people they are supposed to be helping. Hopefully the US makes sure its money gets where it needs to go.

Kakato

Thankfully no one was blaming either. But can we trust that the money and medical aid being sent there will actually reach those who need it, or will it be siphoned off the way so much of the previous "aid" has been? Can we trust that the money our government sends to the - laughfully named - "government" of Haiti will ever reach those most in need or simply fatten the accounts of the handful of crooks that actually control the country? Can we trust the money won't be used to buy more guns to further intimidate the population?

Can we trust that, as soon as the initial outreach transits from desparate need to contained and managable, the thugs who actually control the nation will not, again, send their goons into the devastated areas and start looting and terrorizing all over again?

Given the history of aid to Haiti, it seems a small thing to expecct full and complete accountability for the cash and resources flowing into that country, especially during this time of emergency. Is that too much too ask?

You know,if your going to make all these claims then maybe try backing it up with a little proof because it seems your just making crap up like a few other spammers on here.

Start with the history of aid there,do you have any idea about it or just pulled that post out of your butt?

MHz
Haiti has been the most impoverished country in the Caribbean for a number of years, where was all the care and concern for then during that time?
Prayers mean very little when the body is in need of things.

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Haiti has been the most impoverished country in the Caribbean for a number of years, where was all the care and concern for then during that time?

Yes and we do what we can(doctors without borders) so if your going to use this horrible tragedy to push your little hate agenda then back it up with some facts!

I can say the moon is made of cheese but it doesnt make it true.

So whats really your point?

GreenFish66
A Very Unfortunate/devastating event in Haiti but a very convient opportunity for US and all peaceful/powerful countries to show how compassionate we can be...It's somewhat sad that it so often takes a tragedy to bring out the good in people...Let's hope/pray those who are suffering get all the donations they need and more...

Let's help Haiti turn their Misfortune/Devastation into Opportunity/Salvation. Their Grief/loss into Inspiration/Looking Forward to the Re-Creation.

Last edited by GreenFish66; Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:50 PM..

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I personally know people who have gone to Haiti on missions to help people, and I have supported their efforts financially, emotionally, and with other donations.

Have you?

Mowich
Daily Plantet dedicated their program to the Haitian crisis last night and there were some interesting new technologies highligthed that could indeed provide much needed help to the millions of homeless people in the country.

One of the most impressive was a new shelter by a company called Concrete Canvas. The shelters come in a bag. They are then inflated and sprayed with water and left to harden. The set-up takes about 2 hours. The shelters are approximately 54 square feet and are said to last for 10 years. They can be encased in snow or dirt for more insulation.

Concrete Canvas

Need a Building? Just Add Water