Captured on canvas: Broken-nosed Prince Harry and Prince William with added curls

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A new portrait of BOTH Prince William and Prince Harry was unveiled yesterday.

It is the first portrait of the royal brothers in which they have posed formally for the artist.

The Princes, both of whom serve in the Armed Forces, are both in their Household Cavalry uniforms sporting Queen's Jubilee Medals.

Harry, 25, is wearing his Afghanistan campaign medal (he fought in Afghanistan in 2007 and 2008 ), while future king William, 27, is wearing the Star and Garter sash and badge.

Nicky Philipps, 45, was commissioned by the National Portrait Gallery in London to undertake the £11,000 painting, which measures 54in by 58in.

It shows the two brothers "in casual conversation" in Clarence House, where they live with their father and step-mother, just before attending Trooping the Colour. It also features Prince Harry's broken nose and Prince William's scar.

The portrait has had a mixed reception.

Captured on canvas: Broken-nosed Prince Harry and Prince William with added curls unveiled at National Portrait Gallery

By Daily Mail Reporter
07th January 2010
Daily Mail

The first oil portrait of Princes William and Harry was unveiled yesterday - with all parties declaring themselves delighted at the result.

Artist Nicky Philipps said she felt ' particularly pleased' with Harry's profile - including what she described as his broken nose.

And the balding Wills will not be complaining that he has been given rather more hair than he actually possesses.

The brothers, aged 25 and 27, had never been persuaded to pose formally for an artist before.

One of a kind: The first double portrait of Prince William and Prince Harry, by artist Nicky Philipps. The Princes are both in their Household Cavalry uniforms sporting Queen's Jubilee Medals. Harry is wearing his Afghanistan campaign medal, while William is wearing the Star and Garter sash and badge

Miss Philipps, 45, was commissioned by the National Portrait Gallery in London to undertake the £11,000 painting, which measures 54in by 58in.

The brothers, second and third in line to the throne respectively, are shown wearing the formal dress uniform of the Household Cavalry Blues and Royals. At the time both were lieutenants in the regiment.

The pair are depicted 'in casual conversation' during an imagined moment just before they leave the late Queen Mother's former residence, Clarence House, to take part in the 2008 Trooping the Colour.

In fact the princes sat several times for the artist at her studio in South Kensington, while she later visited Clarence House to fill in the background.

William, now training to be an RAF search-and-rescue pilot, is wearing his dress uniform with the blue sash and star of the Order of the Garter and the Queen's Golden Jubilee medal.

Harry also wears the Golden Jubilee medal alongside his award for service in Afghanistan.

Enlarge By her own hand: Artist Nicky Philipps at the National Portrait Gallery today beside her portrait of the princes

'Prince Harry has the most wonderful profile,' said Miss Philipps.

'When he was a little boy he had a bit of a ski jump nose but apparently he broke it at school and it has since straightened itself out. I also think the little quiff and his slumped shoulders are very him.'

Although the incident was never made public, it was confirmed yesterday that Harry broke his nose playing rugby at Eton when he was 16.

Close inspection of the portrait also shows William bearing the scar across his forehead caused when he was hit with a golf club while at school.

The painting will remain on display for six months before being returned to the gallery's collection or sent out on loan.

Inspiration: Prince William and Prince Harry in 2008 in exactly the same uniforms

David Lee, editor of the satirical art magazine Jackdaw, said: 'I think it's pretty awful. It's terribly amateurish and looks like something from a provincial photographer's studio. I think our Royal Family are being done a huge disservice.'

The mad king who lost the American colonies: The famous 1762 portrait of King George III, the great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather of Princes William and Harry

It is intolerable that they are being made to sit for such amateurs. In days gone by they would have been painted by the likes of Holbein and Velasquez. Nowadays we have Nicky Philipps. I beg your pardon, but who?'

Other critics disagreed, however. London Evening Standard critic Ben Luke argued that the picture ' captured the princes' affection for each other and managed to marry the tradition that comes with being a member of the Royal Family with being modern young men'.

Readers' comments

what are those medals for? Depicting these good-for-nothings with medals in military uniforms so devaluates the image of medals given to people who did actually act with honour and courage to deserve them. I think it's outrageous.
- Nonna, Essex

Pair of inconsequential wallies dressed up as toy soldiers

Their only real ambition is to spend as much time as they can going out nightclubbing and getting drunk

What a disgrace they are and how feeble in comparison to our wonderful queen

If only ASnne could succeed her - she has more of what it takes than any of the royal males put together
- roger, brighton

Roger, you clearly do not know what you are talking about. I am no royalist, however, i have seen these lads work hard and undertake the role of princes well, with good careers ahead of them. As for getting drunk and going to parties, they are also human beings, and are entitled to enjoy their youth. What would you have them do? Stay locked up knitting tea cosies??
- Chantal, Halifax, West Yorkshire

why are some of you complaining about Harry wearing a medal. The first one he is wearing with the red stripe is a campaign medal for his time in Afkanistan. It may have been 10 weeks service but he was actually there fighting. Unlike most of the detractors on here.

And for the republicans amongst you, this country is built on traditions, one of which is the royal family. A family that brings in more money in tourism then they ever take out. If you did away with the royal family we would be served by the likes of T. Blair as president, great
- wayne, stroud gloucestershire

what are those medals for? Depicting these good-for-nothings with medals in military uniforms so devaluates the image of medals given to people who did actually act with honour and courage to deserve them. I think it's outrageous.
- Nonna, Essex, 07/1/2010 13:16"

So, Harry's medal for his time in Afghanistan... he was there for a laugh was he. Because as I heard it he was in a war zone, doing his bit withand for his men. I can assure you from experiance that just 10 minutes in that hell hole is worth a medal, let alone 10 weeks. Get a clue before you post - or even better, if you think an Afghan conflict medal doesn't get earned go out yourself and have a little look!
- DuncanSW, Halifax, England

They both look so handsome!! I wish I had a copy for my house.
- Liz, Los Angeles

Nice picture. Nice lads.

Let's hang on to the monarchy.

With a constitutional monarchy we have some protection against power seeking politicians.

It's a guarantee of freedom.

That's why the politicians,especially those in the Labour Party, marginalise it and denigrate it

- Jack Macguire, Ipswich Suffolk

Excellent job. The princes look so natural.
- Janis, Buckhannon, West Virginia, USA
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent.html?articleId=1241013&commentId=22243609

Oh God, I love this painting. That's all I have to say.
- Annette, USA

What Diana infused in these two young men, is evident in both their bearing and outward behavior toward the public. Her legacy will and should never be forgotten.
- JtWallace, Charlotte USA

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh, the joys of the English language. I doubt that in the Globe and Mail, you'd find the word 'quiff':

'When he was a little boy he had a bit of a ski jump nose but apparently he broke it at school and it has since straightened itself out. I also think the little quiff and his slumped shoulders are very him.'

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh, the joys of the English language. I doubt that in the Globe and Mail, you'd find the word 'quiff':

Urban Dictionary: quiff

badass haircut from the 50's, worn by guys that would kick your ass anyday. The haircut is pronounced: kwi-ff. A kwee-Fffff is just a pussy fart. :smile: