Is 54-year-old Rosie the world's oldest donkey?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is Rosie the world's oldest donkey? The average lifespan for a donkey is 25-30 years, whereas Rosie is believed to be 54. A donkey year counts as three, so she is the human equivalent of 162 years.

Rosie lives in Belper, Derbyshire with her owner Lesley Manger.

The record for the oldest documented age for a donkey belongs to Suzy, who lived in Glenwood, New Mexico and reached 54 years old in 2002.

Is 54-year-old Rosie the world's oldest donkey?

By Daily Mail Reporter
30th December 2009
Daily Mail

A British woman is claiming to own the world's oldest donkey.

The average lifespan for a donkey is 25 to 30 years yet Rosie has reached the grand old age of 54.

Owner Lesley Manger, 72, from Belper, Derbyshire believes the beloved mule has passed the oldest recorded entry in the Guinness Book Of Records.

Grand old girl: Rosie the donkey at her home at Kenstud Pony Rescue with centre volunteer Helen Jackson

Ms Manger, who runs Kenstud Pony Rescue, at Dalley Farm, where Rosie lives, discovered her age by talking to previous owners.

She said: 'We don't have an exact date of birth for her, but talking to people who have owned her over the years, she should be about 54.'

Proving a donkey's age is difficult - although estimates can be made by looking at the animal's teeth.

'Her teeth have ground right down through eating and a dentist who looked at her said she'd be about that old.'

Each donkey year counts as three - making her the human equivalent of 162.

In 2005, a Blackpool donkey called Lively Laddie was reported to have died at the age of 62, although its age was never verified. The American mule in the Guinness bible died in 2002.

And the best news of all is that Rosie is still in a remarkably good condition.

Well-fed: 54-year-old Rosie's owner puts her durability down to a good diet

Farm volunteer Mel Grace, 67, said: 'I go to see her every morning and she goes out into the field for a little run.

'I have no idea why she's lived to such an age. She's clearly been well fed and has lived a happy life.

'Why do some people live to 100 and others don't? Maybe it's just in the genes.'

Mr Grace has helped look after Rosie at the farm for the past 18 months.

He said: 'Rosie is very affectionate - it's been an extremely rewarding time.'

Rosie came to the farm in 2006, when Ms Manger agreed to care for her on behalf of her.

A spokesman for Guinness World Records said Ms Manger would have to prove Rosie's age for the donkey to be entered into the record books.

He said: 'The record for the oldest documented age for a donkey belongs to Suzy, who lived in Glenwood, New Mexico and reached 54 years old in 2002.'

But Ms Manger said she was doubtful of being able to get the donkey's age verified because she does not have her birth certificate.

dailymail.co.uk

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am six years older than Rosie and she looks way better than I do. :lol: Another great story, Blackleaf, thank you. :smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Perhaps, but my bet is on the one on these forums who knows everything better than anyone else, and who never aplogizes, no matter how often and how strongly he was proven wrong.