Do these latest flying regulations make sense?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So one nut case from the middle east figures he's going to blow up a plane on entry into Detroit. Would these new regulations guarantee that another person with the same idea will be stopped? Does the whole idea make sense or is it just a case of bolting the barn door after the horse has left?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
So one nut case from the middle east figures he's going to blow up a plane on entry into Detroit. Would these new regulations guarantee that another person with the same idea will be stopped? Does the whole idea make sense or is it just a case of bolting the barn door after the horse has left?

Kneejerk reaction.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The regulations I've heard of are insane and make no real sense in terms of security.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
We'd likely be further ahead to get rid of the irritating "security" setups at airports and put the military in charge of airport security. Kind of like the Coast Guard ... "Airport Guard?"

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I don't understand the new security guidelines at all; one is no longer permitted to have carry on baggage. I hope Canada and the EU don't follow suit with this silly rule.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
The father of this disturbed Nigerian youth was so worried about his son that he discussed those concerns with the CIA. Obviously, someone slipped up because there was no follow-up. After-the-fact restrictions on travellers is not going to resolve that oversight.
Source: CIA failed to circulate report about bombing suspect - CNN.com

OK, gotcha'. Yeah, that was a big oversight. Certainly prevention is better than "cure", if that's what we think we have with these dumb regulations.

My point is that yes, we need some security but if we're so concerned about it (and I am, even though I don't personally travel that much any more), why don't we get serious about it? No offence to the folks conducting security checks right now, but why are these jobs in the minimum wage category? That's one question that I've always had on my mind.

I mean, really...(and please, there is no offence intended here to anyone in any job)...if the security person is in charge of the safety of you or your loved ones on a flight, why are they earning a fraction of what the person fixing your toilet earns? Does that really make sense? (Yes, fixing the toilet is important, but if it screws up, it generally won't kill you)...:-(

I still think a properly trained military unit would be able to do the job quite nicely, and the presence of the uniform wouldn't hurt. Might make it look like we take it seriously.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
sidebar-
England is thinking of withdrawing from the Commonwealth Games to be held in india in 2010. Again, the fear of terrorism.
England ready to pull out of Commonwealth Games over terror risk - Telegraph
What a great idea! Perhaps nobody will come to the Olympics. Wouldn't frost Gordo's oats? Quick! We need another loony to burn a hole in his leg.

Seriously though, we really need one!

Terrorists! What a joke coming from the US and Britain - biggest terrorists on the planet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The father of this disturbed Nigerian youth was so worried about his son that he discussed those concerns with the CIA. Obviously, someone slipped up because there was no follow-up. After-the-fact restrictions on travellers is not going to resolve that oversight.
Source: CIA failed to circulate report about bombing suspect - CNN.com

Ok...that is true.

But where is the paranoia?

If the Panty Bomber's underwear exploded instead of burning would the US be justified in increasing regulations?

For the record I think these new regulations are just stupid and it is the administrations way of pretending they are doing something, while not doing anything.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
What I find most insulting at airports is that the ones who do the checking look (and probably are) far more apt or liable to commit acts of terrorism than those who they so sanctimoniously check.

Well, equal opportunity hiring!

So, if I can drive there, I drive there.

Last edited:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
A nine mil hole in the cabin does the same thing at 35 thousand feet

LW - You'd think so, but I'm not sure that's always true. I was on a US Air DC-9 one time sitting near the back when the exit door came off its catch at around 30,000 ft. The safety catch held it in place, but there was a sizeable opening around the door edge. Lots of things came down the aisle and over the seats (papers, magazines, etc. - I ducked) and got sucked out through the narrow opening around the door, and the oxygen masks came down pretty fast, but the pilot drove 'er down to 12,000 ft. pretty fast and we ended up doing an unscheduled landing in Cleveland safely. Not sure of the condition of everyone's underwear, but everyone was alive.

Not sure that would have happened if a bomb had gone off!

PS - I was listening to the flight deck/tower communication channel on the headphones when it happened, and I was mighty impressed with the pilot when he calmly asked Chicago Centre for immediate clearance to 12,000 ft. - he sounded like he was asking for a weather report! We all applauded when he parked the airplane in Cleveland.