Mexico shuts down Canadian operated mine

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A Canadian mine in Mexico has been shut down over environmental concerns, while new details are emerging about how three men arrested in the death of a vocal anti-mining activist are connected to the Calgary firm.

The temporary closure of the Blackfire Exploration mine, revealed by a government official Tuesday, is another twist in a case some say symbolizes the anger of local people who feel Canadian companies are destroying their pristine ancestral land for profit.

Mexico shuts down Canadian mine - thestar.com

Yikes. There is a bill (C-300) the Corporate Accountability of Mining, Oil and Gas Corporations in Developing Countries Act working it's way through Parliament right now which is relevant to these kinds of incidents.

I wouldn't want this one in the portfolio!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Nasty. There are guides to international business practises so it isn't like these people can use ignorance as an excuse for being greedy and having a bad attitude guide their practises. Here's one:
Sustainable business practices: IISD's checklist | Strategies & tools | BSDglobal

Yikes. There is a bill (C-300) the Corporate Accountability of Mining, Oil and Gas Corporations in Developing Countries Act working it's way through Parliament right now which is relevant to these kinds of incidents.
^--- another example of the Harpy government not doing anything good. :D