Nov 20th-Transgender Day of Remembrance

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
About the Day of Remembrance

Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR), on November 20th, 2008 will be the 10th annual commemorative of those who have lost their lives to hatred and prejudice. Although not every person represented during the Day f Remembrance self-identified as trans - that is, as a transsexual, crossdresser, or otherwise gender-variant - each was a victim of violence based on transphobia, fear and hatred of trans people.
TDoR was set aside to memorialize those who have been killed due to anti-trans hate or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the "Remembering Our Dead" web project and a candlelight vigil in San Francisco in 1999. Rita Hester's murder - like most anti-trans murder cases - has yet to be solved.
Egale Canada has designated the week of November 17-23, 2008 as Trans Awareness Week. It is a time for organizations and individuals to hold events recognizing the contributions of the trans community and to honour the lives of our brothers and sisters who might otherwise be forgotten. Along with candlelight vigils and marches, events could include art displays, movie showings or any event that advances education, equality and justice for trans people and their families in a positive and proactive way.
For More information: Transgender Day of Remembrance: About DOR
The Remembering our Dead Web Project and The Transgender Day of Remembrance are owned by Gwendolyn Ann Smith, All Rights Reserved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to bring this to light. I have a couple of friends that are transgendered and I have to say that before I talked with them, I never knew the kind of hardships and hatred/fear that was shown to them. I cannot wrap my head around this. Such hatred and anger just because they don't fit into that person's pre-conceived notions of what a person should be and how they live their lives?

Comments are welcome, but please be respectful.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
First I heard of this. Cool. Stuff needs to be recognized as a reminder of how despicable and stupid humans can be when we make an effort.