Ignatieff's inner circle shrinks as 2 more aides depart

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Ignatieff's inner circle shrinks as 2 more aides depart

OTTAWA — The exodus continues from Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff's inner circle.

Two more aides confirmed late Friday they're leaving the leader's office, a week after Ignatieff turfed his chief of staff, Ian Davey.

Mark Sakamoto and Alexis Levine, both directors of political operations, are returning to the private sector. Both insist they're leaving voluntarily.

"I won't be returning to Ottawa as my two-month old baby and lovely wife are in Toronto and I need to focus on them," Sakamoto said in an email missive.

"Of course, I remain a staunch supporter of Mr. Ignatieff and wish him and the team the best."

Sakamoto was inadvertently involved in controversy this week when he was interviewed by the CBC as he, his wife and their infant baby stood in line awaiting vaccination against H1N1 flu. He criticized the disorganized inoculation campaign without identifying himself as an aide to Ignatieff.

Sakamoto's comments were broadcast on CBC's The National but were pulled as soon as a producer recognized him as a Liberal strategist. Some Conservative bloggers nevertheless claimed the incident proved the public broadcaster's Liberal bias.

CTV News | Ignatieff's inner circle shrinks as 2 more aides depart

How much life support does Ignatieff have left in him before he must finally go ?

Knowing history I would imagine he has a minimum one election to prove himself or he would make history, but how much can he handle and is time on his side with the delay of a potential election..

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Ignatieff’s Depleting Time on the Hill

It’s high time for Mr. Michael Ignatieff M.P. (Etobicoke Lakeshore), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, to say his goodbyes and return to the backbenches. The epic trainwreck saga of the Liberal Party of Canada has continued under Mr. Ignatieff’s watch, and unless he can find a way to truly renew and invigourate the Liberal Party very soon, they are going to find themselves going up against the juggernaut of a Conservative Party of Canada with a majority of seats in both the Honourable the Senate of Canada and the House of Commons.

The Leader of the Opposition had his chance, and he’s failed. It’s time for the Liberal Party to come to its senses, and oust Mr. Ignatieff for another leadership forum as soon as possible. Otherwise, once the Forty-first General Election for Canada hits us (and with Mr. Ignatieff’s constant threats of going trigger-happy, it is fast approaching, assuming the Government doesn’t pull its own plug, once again), progressive and liberal Canadians aren’t going to have a realistic choice for an alternative governing party.

The Leader of the Opposition needs to either (a) start leading an opposition, or (b) resign.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It’s high time for Mr. Michael Ignatieff M.P. (Etobicoke Lakeshore), the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, to say his goodbyes and return to the backbenches. The epic trainwreck saga of the Liberal Party of Canada has continued under Mr. Ignatieff’s watch, and unless he can find a way to truly renew and invigourate the Liberal Party very soon, they are going to find themselves going up against the juggernaut of a Conservative Party of Canada with a majority of seats in both the Honourable the Senate of Canada and the House of Commons.

The Leader of the Opposition had his chance, and he’s failed. It’s time for the Liberal Party to come to its senses, and oust Mr. Ignatieff for another leadership forum as soon as possible. Otherwise, once the Forty-first General Election for Canada hits us (and with Mr. Ignatieff’s constant threats of going trigger-happy, it is fast approaching, assuming the Government doesn’t pull its own plug, once again), progressive and liberal Canadians aren’t going to have a realistic choice for an alternative governing party.

The Leader of the Opposition needs to either (a) start leading an opposition, or (b) resign.

So, Five, who do you think should be leader???

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don’t have a favourite (or even a preferred) candidate at the moment.

I think that the Liberal Party needs to hold a full-on leadership forum during the next reasonable parliamentary recess, so that anyone interested in the job can pitch their ideas and their vision for Canada as governed by the Liberal Party. The party’s executive has become stagnant and non-committed to renewal, and this needs to be changed before the Liberal Party can count on any measurable success in a general election. The next leader needs to be all about ideas and vision — this is the missing link that has propelled the Liberal Party into its current spiral of despair and train-wreckageness¹. The Liberal Party, as Opposition, needs to hold the Government’s feet to the fire — but it should be simultaneously showcasing what would make the Liberal Party a viable and desireable alternative Government.

¹ Fabulous word, if I do say so myself.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don’t have a favourite (or even a preferred) candidate at the moment.

I think that the Liberal Party needs to hold a full-on leadership forum during the next reasonable parliamentary recess, so that anyone interested in the job can pitch their ideas and their vision for Canada as governed by the Liberal Party. The party’s executive has become stagnant and non-committed to renewal, and this needs to be changed before the Liberal Party can count on any measurable success in a general election. The next leader needs to be all about ideas and vision — this is the missing link that has propelled the Liberal Party into its current spiral of despair and train-wreckageness¹. The Liberal Party, as Opposition, needs to hold the Government’s feet to the fire — but it should be simultaneously showcasing what would make the Liberal Party a viable and desireable alternative Government.

¹ Fabulous word, if I do say so myself.

Fabulous. :)

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Ignatieff is doing house cleaning all his people have to be on the same page.

People that don’t agree with him have to leave the inner circle.

Harper’s inner circle people are there; protecting their leader and using strong-arm tactics against the opposition so that they can have the upper advantage.

Unfortunately the Conservatives are good on the deception front and have a good propaganda machine and when Harper’s poll ratings go down the attack ads kick in to raise his ratings.

Ignatiaff has to run a tight ship and can’t afford to make mistakes.

One good thing about the Conservatives is that they are constantly making mistakes that are putting a toll on the inner circle to clean up the messes.

More Conservatives MPs are taking the muzzle off because they want to be heard.

The Reform wing of the Conservative party always has a habit of putting their foot into their mouths.

Eventually the Canadian voter will see the Conservatives for what they truly are.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Ignatieff is doing house cleaning all his people have to be on the same page.

People that don’t agree with him have to leave the inner circle.

Harper’s inner circle people are there; protecting their leader and using strong-arm tactics against the opposition so that they can have the upper advantage.

Unfortunately the Conservatives are good on the deception front and have a good propaganda machine and when Harper’s poll ratings go down the attack ads kick in to raise his ratings.

Ignatiaff has to run a tight ship and can’t afford to make mistakes.

One good thing about the Conservatives is that they are constantly making mistakes that are putting a toll on the inner circle to clean up the messes.

More Conservatives MPs are taking the muzzle off because they want to be heard.

The Reform wing of the Conservative party always has a habit of putting their foot into their mouths.

Eventually the Canadian voter will see the Conservatives for what they truly are.

House cleaning of the team is generally done within a month or two of becoming leader. When time marches on and you persistently lose key players in key positions, it starts to become a visual distraction and one associated with being a poor judge of character. If one could not pick key people at the start of their leadership process, how is one expected to be considered Prime Minister material on choosing key portfolio positions ?

Ignatieff as a political major should well know this and be aware of the traps this poses.. The worse thing he can possibly do at this time is be caught is a continual change of key staff.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Pretty soon Iggy will be kissing his on political ass goodbye and head back south of the border.