Charles and Camilla in Canada

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Charles and Camilla set to arrive in Canada today

Prince Charles and his wife the Duchess of Cornwall will receive a warm and friendly welcome when they arrive in Newfoundland today, says the province's lieutenant governor.

The Royal couple is kicking off an 11-day visit that will mark the 15th time Charles has toured Canada.

However, it will be the first time he has visited with Camilla.

Though there is no guarantee the weather will co-operate, the couple is sure to be greeted with warmth and enthusiasm, said Lieut.-Gov. John Crosbie.

"I would say there is considerable interest in this and there will be a big turnout and a friendly reception," he told CTV's Canada AM from St. John's on Monday morning.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Danny Williams will speak at the ceremony welcoming Charles and Camilla.

They will spend a couple of days travelling around Newfoundland before heading on to scheduled stops in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. before winding up the trip in Ottawa on Nov. 12.

During their trip, the couple will visit Vancouver's new Olympic Stadium, open Toronto's Royal Winter Fair and participate in Remembrance Day ceremonies in Ottawa.

Ciara Hunt, editor-in-chief of Hello! Canada magazine, said Camilla will also visit Dundern Castle in Hamilton, Ont., which was built by her great-great grandfather, Sir Allan MacNab.

"I think it's going to be really interesting to see how Camilla does over these 11 days," Hunt told Canada AM. "I think it's very obvious that Prince Charles is at his happiest now and they are a great Royal couple. She's really embraced her role as the princess consort-to-be. So it will be fun."

It is the first time since 2001 that Charles has been on Canadian soil. During that trip, he visited Ontario, Saskatchewan and the Yukon.

Crosbie said he is looking forward to seeing Charles, whom he met in 1983, just a few days after losing a bid for the leadership of the federal Progressive Conservative party.

"You know how you feel after you've lost something like that. And he was aware of it, and was very sensitive and asked me about it and tried to console me," Crosbie said. "So I'm looking forward to seeing him again and making sure I do all I can to make sure he has a great visit to Newfoundland.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I hope Chuck and Cammy have a good time here as all tourists should, I just hope they are paying the travel and accommodation expenses. It would be a nice gesture on Lizzy's part to give them a belated wedding present.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Is Chucky wearing a hat? If not, what are those winglike things sticking from his head? Is he smiling or grimacing? lol
I hope they have fun. They should try the screech. :)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Watched a docu about Prince Charles last night - I've always thought of him as quite the stuffed shirt, but he actually came off as quite personable - either he's mellowed ... or I have lolll...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Does anyone REALLY care they are here???

I care. REALLY care? It's hard to know what you mean by REALLY.

I find international diplomacy interesting in most cases. I think anyone who ignores such things is ignoring a large part of politics, and I doubt anyone on this forum truly does that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I care. REALLY care? It's hard to know what you mean by REALLY.

I find international diplomacy interesting in most cases. I think anyone who ignores such things is ignoring a large part of politics, and I doubt anyone on this forum truly does that.

I don't get bothered too much by British royalty, they generate a few jobs when they come and they probably do less harm than a boat load of Tammels sneaking in after dark. Some people just find the damndest things to worry about, although as I said earlier it would be a nice gesture if Lizzy would foot the bill.