Activists challenge Olympic bylaw on free speech

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
Two anti-Olympic activists have launched a court challenge to Vancouver's Olympic bylaw to defend their right to distribute material critical of the Games during and around the events.
The lawsuit was filed by Chris Shaw, a UBC professor, and Alissa Westergard-Thorpe, a student, with the support of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association on Wednesday morning at B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver.
"I am participating in this lawsuit because I feel the bylaw as proposed by council infringes my charter rights. It is offensive to me and should be to all Canadians," said Shaw, who has been one of the most consistently outspoken critics of the Games.
"I want to be able to express my dissent," he said. "I do intend to hand out leaflets. I may stand there with a protest banner. I may want to engage tourists in conversations. I want to be able to do all those things that I am guaranteed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms."
The Five Ring Circus

The city passed the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games bylaw in June to restrict the distribution and exhibition of unapproved advertising material and signs in any Olympic area during the Games.
It includes an exception for celebratory signs, which are defined as those that celebrate the 2010 Winter Games and create or enhance a festive environment and atmosphere.
In the statement of claim, Shaw said he intends to distribute information about his book, The Five Ring Circus, which is critical of the Olympics, with the intention of promoting sales.
He also said he intends to sell T-shirts, buttons, badges, hats and other apparel emblazoned with Olympic Resistance Network marks and messages critical of the costs imposed by the Games.
The pair are asking the court to declare the bylaw's provisions unconstitutional and order the City of Vancouver not to enforce them, but Westergard-Thorpe said she finds the whole exercise unfortunate.
"Going to court on a clear-cut free expression issue is a waste of time and money," Westergard-Thorpe said.
"We've all got better things to do, but if the city insists on passing bad bylaws, people who value free speech have no choice but to stand up and challenge them," she said.
BCCLA provides legal support

BCCLA executive director David Eby said his organization is supporting the pair because it has concerns about restrictions in the bylaws on signs that aren't celebratory and its limits on free expression in public facilities and city parks.
"Its purpose and effect is to limit citizens' rights to express dissenting views and to hear dissenting views on public property," Eby said.
The statement of claim also argues the city's charter does not give it the right to enact the bylaw's restrictive provisions.
The protesters hope to have their case heard and a ruling issued before the Olympic Games open in Vancouver in February, they said.

CBC News - British Columbia - Activists challenge Olympic bylaw on free speech

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I wish these troublemaking dip****s would figure out that the games are going to happen whether or not they like it.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
corporations sponser olympics not deadbeats.

These anti-olympic groups complain when taxes are raised to pay for the social programs

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You are right the games are going to happen, and we are going to pay dearly for that happening. Who will benefit? Real Estate people, Hotel owners and a host of
other business partners. The rest of us will get nothing but the bill, we will be
paying for years while the select few get the rewards. Personally I have come to
the conclusion we are going to pay whether its successful or not. People have rights in this country or at least they used to. Now the present government wants
to introduce the same heavy handed tactics the fascists used in Berlin in 1936.
If the Campbell Government would have been honest with people from the beginning, there wouldn't be the rising anger and opposition we have now.
It will soon be the majority against the games in this Province as more and more
people finally understand just how much skulduggery has gone on.
I am angry about how this was done more than I am about the games.
We should be paying down our debt and servicing the growing social needs of our
citizens not squandering money on a 17 day party for the few.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
As if the games aren't going to cost us for years. Now we have to fork over court costs and stuff, too.
But I can see their point. The bylaw does seem to point to favoritism as to who can say what.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I agree with the city anti protesters should be banned from the olympics just because it is a world event let them protest in White Rock

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If the government keeps inflaming the situation, more and more people will be on the streets and it will be an embarrassment. But hey this government is already
there. If we criticize China, for its suppression of freedom of speech, freedom of
assembly and the right to speak a persons mind. then we have to afford people in
a democracy, the right to disagree and demonstrate that right.
I hope democracy prevails, remember the court costs are coming about because the government can't abide by our national charter of rights and freedoms.
I draw the line when police can come into your home and tear down a sign in your
window just because you disagree with the Olympics. That is a storm trooper
mentality. The government and the bozo's at Vanoc should be made to live by the
laws of the land.
I personally don't intend to protest anything, in fact I will ignore the games
all together, but I do support people who want to express their satisfaction
with the event, as money is being wasted to benefit a few, with the liabilities
going to the many.

Reactions: Colpy and AnnaG

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If the government keeps inflaming the situation, more and more people will be on the streets and it will be an embarrassment. But hey this government is already
there. If we criticize China, for its suppression of freedom of speech, freedom of
assembly and the right to speak a persons mind. then we have to afford people in
a democracy, the right to disagree and demonstrate that right.
I hope democracy prevails, remember the court costs are coming about because the government can't abide by our national charter of rights and freedoms.
I draw the line when police can come into your home and tear down a sign in your
window just because you disagree with the Olympics. That is a storm trooper
mentality. The government and the bozo's at Vanoc should be made to live by the
laws of the land.
I personally don't intend to protest anything, in fact I will ignore the games
all together, but I do support people who want to express their satisfaction
with the event, as money is being wasted to benefit a few, with the liabilities

going to the many.

Businesses that lose money on Olympics because of the protesters should sue the organizers and the protesters for lost revenues that they cause.

We have freedom of speech as long as it doesn’t hurt people but when organizers try to get rid of Olympics because of their hidden agendas should pay the price.

We have to remember that competing countries pay some anti-Olympic organizations so they can get the Olympics.

So if the anti-Olympic organizers and the protesters want to pay the millions of dollars of lost revenues to cancel an approved event that’s the way they should go.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I wish these troublemaking dip****s would figure out that the games are going to happen whether or not they like it.

Not only will they happen, but we will all pay the massive bills, and all of us in Canada will have our freedom of speech suspended so that the holy Olympics can take place, lining the pockets of real estate developers at the expense of the taxpayer.

All the other bull**** is stunning, but to have this no-protesting crap brought here? There is no excuse for the BC gov't being sucked into this idiocy. Next, it will be that you're not allowed to criticize the Canucks. Just watch.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Boy, did Calgary ever crush them Canucks.
Whoops, gotta go. There's someone at the door! And whose dog is barking at this hour?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

You're kidding, right?

These "troublemaking dip****s" are absolutely correct. The Olympics are a joke; expensive, wasteful, and now an excuse for the removal of basic civil rights......

Absolutely outrageous!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You're kidding, right?

These "troublemaking dip****s" are absolutely correct. The Olympics are a joke; expensive, wasteful, and now an excuse for the removal of basic civil rights......

Absolutely outrageous!

Ummm...you need to get a grip

In the statement of claim, Shaw said he intends to distribute information about his book, The Five Ring Circus, which is critical of the Olympics, with the intention of promoting sales.

This "troublemaking dip****" is trying to use the Olympics to make a buck. This is an advertising issue and the IOC has every right to control advertising at their events.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This "troublemaking dip****" is trying to use the Olympics to make a buck. This is an advertising issue and the IOC has every right to control advertising at their events.

I'm not sure that the IOC should have the rigth to control advertising and free speech in all of Vancouver, however.

Remember Calgary, they tried to force a restaurant to change its name, because it was called the Olympic Restaurant, and had been for 30 years. But that was no longer allowed.

I say that Canada should try to never host the Olympics again. it's a waste of money.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
oohh ohhh man they should add a provision to the by-law where logos from companies not involved with the "games" are banned from public display- imagine getting fined for wearing a vintage Aerosmith T-shirt

Seriously tho, I don't care what the motivation behind the challenge is, the by-law is flagrantly unconstitutional and borders on fascism. I am another who couldn't care less about the "olympic games" and if people want to make public their displeasure with the gigantic sham that is "the game" it really should be allowed so long as it is done in a non-violent, non-vulgar way.

The thought of someone getting fined or arrested and charged for holding a sign saying "The 'olympics' are a giant scam" really frightens me, and tho it is at a low level right now, the possible precedent that could be set here has massive imlpications