Tory Logos on Federal Cheques

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's kinda like the new federal gov't insistence on separate signs for federal and provincial governments on infrastructure projects. It's simply advertising for the party in power, and it's been that way for 40 years. They used to put the minister's name on the signs, too.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Personally, in an age where image is so important, I find such a thing just a bit troubling

I am by no means rabid about this, but I think the sitting federal and provincial governments should be banned from this type of branding. It is especially odd in the case of our minority conservative Fed, a "generic" Government seal would be more appropriate

As an aside- I (living in Ontario) was no fan of Mike Harris and it irked me to no end being stuck in holiday traffic on the way up north and seeing SO many of them "brought to you by the Mike Harris government" signs all over every construction project, it just struck me as cheap partisan branding and a stupid waste of money

Anyways this topic is no big issue but at least it isn't about the US or the Middle East. Dunno why it's not right to have a problem with things MY government does

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Personally, in an age where image is so important, I find such a thing just a bit troubling

I am by no means rabid about this, but I think the sitting federal and provincial governments should be banned from this type of branding. It is especially odd in the case of our minority conservative Fed, a "generic" Government seal would be more appropriate

As an aside- I (living in Ontario) was no fan of Mike Harris and it irked me to no end being stuck in holiday traffic on the way up north and seeing SO many of them "brought to you by the Mike Harris government" signs all over every construction project, it just struck me as cheap partisan branding and a stupid waste of money

Anyways this topic is no big issue but at least it isn't about the US or the Middle East. Dunno why it's not right to have a problem with things MY government does

I agree completely, and I send the CPC money.

the Conservative logo does NOT belong on gov't cheques..........

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
For those who haven't caught it, the logo isn't on government cheques.

It is on some of those ceremonial things they use for photo ops, and it shouldn't be there. Even the MP's name shouldn't be there.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
For those who haven't caught it, the logo isn't on government cheques.

It is on some of those ceremonial things they use for photo ops, and it shouldn't be there. Even the MP's name shouldn't be there.

Yeah, I did understand that.....but I still think it borders hard on using gov't assets to blatantly promote the Party.

Not that it is unusual, it just makes me uncomfortable.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
While putting the party logo on the fake cheques is perhaps in poor taste it only makes sense both financially and politically to spend the bulk of the money in the ridings that support you. Sort of buying your vote with your own money plus a little from those that voted the wrong way.
View it as an incentive plan. Vote right and you get a return on your investment.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, I did understand that.....but I still think it borders hard on using gov't assets to blatantly promote the Party.

Not that it is unusual, it just makes me uncomfortable.

All's I have to say is I am surprised to find something we both agree on- I am also shocked at how almost nobody has a problem with it- sure it's nuts-and-bolts and boring, but I am surprised ANY supporter of ANY party could justify this kind of thing.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
All's I have to say is I am surprised to find something we both agree on- I am also shocked at how almost nobody has a problem with it- sure it's nuts-and-bolts and boring, but I am surprised ANY supporter of ANY party could justify this kind of thing.

Amen!

aman12

Feb 22, 2009
Hay River,NT
Way to go Colpy. I use to respect the old PC's; even voted for them on occasion. The current group is quite shameless. MP Keddy said yesterday yhat he would do it again. Today he says the opposite as if he had not said anything yesterday.