Deportations from Canada up

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

MONTREAL - Deportations from Canada have skyrocketed more than 50 per cent over the last decade and the bulk of those given the boot are failed refugee claimants who often return home to face torture and persecution.

Figures from the Canada Border Services Agency show the country removed 12,732 people last year - a major increase from the 8,361 who were deported in 1999.

A series of steady increases over the years shows no sign of abating in 2009. By Aug. 25 of this year, 8,999 had already been deported.

Statistics show failed refugee claimants accounted for three-quarters of deportations while the remainder were often removed on criminal or security grounds.

The Canadian Council for Refugees says the figures debunk the widely held notion that Canada is a haven for asylum seekers.

"This totally contradicts people who continue to say in the media that claimants are never deported from Canada. Once you put your foot on Canadian soil, you can stay here forever," said Janet Dench, the council's executive director.

"These facts contradict it and that's what people who work with refugees know - that this is a daily business, a daily experience that claimants are very routinely removed from Canada."

The government explains the spike in deportations as the logical result of a jump in refugee applications; there were 35,000 refugee claims last year, and the government says the system can only handle 25,000.

A spokesman for Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says problems with the refugee system will be addressed in upcoming reforms.

But the stats cast some doubt on Ottawa's explanation. Figures obtained from the Immigration and Refugee Board indicate the 35,000 refugee applications received last year is no record.

While the figure represented a six-year high, it was still far less than the 44,000 cases received in 2001 and 39,000 in the following year. While there was an increase in claims in 2008, the government also completed far fewer cases than in the past.

Refugee advocates say the explanation is simple: the government has wanted to deport more people, and has taken steps to do it in recent years.

"There's been a lot of effort, especially in the last three years," said former IRB chairman Peter Showler. "It was an area that they knew was a problem."

The most common deportation destinations are the U.S. and Mexico, although hundreds more are being sent to places with shoddy track records on human rights or security, like China, Pakistan, Haiti and Zimbabwe.

Montreal immigration lawyer Stewart Istvanffy says he's seen many heartbreaking cases among the thousands he's taken on over the last 20 years.

He watched many deserving clients lose their fight to stay, and wind up on planes bound for unimaginable horrors. He says he's also seen families wrenched apart by poor decisions from immigration officials.

One client was sent back to Morocco in 2003, and he was detained at the airport in Casablanca and tortured during an 18-month incarceration.

"Because he made so much noise about his case here in Canada, his eldest daughter was kidnapped, raped and she was told, 'Tell your father to shut up,"' he said.

"I have a newspaper article about that from a Moroccan newspaper. She now has a . . . child who can't go to school because you need to show who the father is on your birth certificate."

He tells the story of how a Sikh client was sent back to India in 2007, and bribed his way through the airport and returned to his Punjab village. A police raid two weeks later sent him into hiding and Istvanffy says he hasn't heard from him since.

In a recent case, a Pakistani couple who had established themselves as pillars in their Montreal community were deported while their children - including a five-year-old Canadian-born girl - were allowed to stay.

Istvanffy said 98 per cent of pre-removal risk assessments end in rejection.
Supporting evidence painstakingly gathered from foreign newspapers, far-flung relatives, village leaders and even politicians is often tossed out because it comes from "interested parties."

"Dismissing any evidence from people who know you as self-interested, this is absolutely typical of their decision-making," he said.

"The pre-removal risk assessment in Canada is just a total joke."

Refugee advocates are calling for changes to the system.

They say it's not right that the fate of claimants rests with a single Immigration and Refugee Board decision-maker. They also want the appeals process outlined in the legislation to be implemented.

Last month, Showler released a proposal.

In it, he called for a process that would see rejected claimants removed within 13 months.

He recommended replacing the IRB with a two-pronged Refugee Tribunal that would include a claims and appeals division. Tribunal members would be appointed on merit without influence from the federal cabinet.

He believes a good first decision, a fair appeals process, and a prompt removal of failed claimants would eliminate the need for pre-removal risk assessments.

He says the quicker turnaround time would also prevent people from establishing themselves in Canada, and later seeking status on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Kenney spokesman Alykhan Velshi said the government has already addressed the issue of patronage. Velshi said IRB members are now appointed on merit.

Although some may fall through the cracks, he said there is adequate recourse for failed claimants within the current system and argued that an appeal process would only lead to further processing delays.

The government is particularly concerned with targeting those who abuse the system, Velshi said.

Source: Deportations from Canada up - Canada - Canoe.ca

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The gist of this article seems to be that nobody should have their refugee claim denied?

Personally, if we spent more time doing back ground checks on new immigrants, rather than kicking out Porchagese painters and kidnapping their children from shcool... I think we would have a safer country and more respect.

Right now the would knows we have a lacks policy towards background checks, this is why the USA now requires Passports from Canadian citizens.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The gist of this article seems to be that nobody should have their refugee claim denied?
I'm glad someone read it. I didn't have the time and it just looked like it was too much information. They seem to have added this to it today:
Sixteen per cent of deportees from Canada deemed criminals or security threats

at 13:01 on October 13, 2009, EDT.

THE CANADIAN PRESS
MONTREAL - Canada has booted close to 19,000 foreign criminals and security threats from the country in the last decade.
Figures from the Canada Border Services Agency show those cases represent only a small fraction - 16 per cent - of all deportations from the country.
Hundreds of those deportees were sent to countries deemed among the most dangerous in the world - places like Haiti, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Iraq.
Removal orders are generally not carried out for such countries, which are listed on Canada's Temporary Suspension of Removals list.
The list exists to ensure people are not deported to places were war or natural disaster could prove life-threatening, but criminals are exempt from non-removal orders.
Immigration advocates say that while many removals are well-founded, some people are deported to dangerous places for very minor indiscretions like shoplifting.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t think that is much of an increase, B00mer. Sure in percentage terms it sounds a lot. But increase from 8000 to 12000 is insignificant when compared to more than 300,000 immigrants we take each year.

I don’t think too much can be read into it, these numbers go up and down al the time. The increase here is slight, it increased from 2.7% to 4.2%, assuming annual immigrant intake of 300,000.

I think it is a non issue.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So many genuine sad stories show just how corrupt so much of the world is. But Canada cannot save the world from injustice. We can only do our part and take in our quota, 25,000 sounds good. 100,000 should be the number for immigrants, 300,000 is too high.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
So many genuine sad stories show just how corrupt so much of the world is. But Canada cannot save the world from injustice. We can only do our part and take in our quota, 25,000 sounds good. 100,000 should be the number for immigrants, 300,000 is too high.
I'm including part of an email I received. Only part because even part of it is too long. Makes you wonder about how much support we can afford. I actually still have the full length letter which is meant for forwarding to one's MP if anyone wants it:

Bill C-428, An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act.( r

SO, How do you like this?

Bill C-428, An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act.( residency requirements )

Mr. Harper....I enclose a letter sent to Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla regarding her continued
Persistence on having the time of 10 yrs in the country before collecting OAS/GIS,
Reduced to 3yrs. Residency? (Bill C-428)

As someone who has worked in this country for over 40yrs and now retired,
I very strongly oppose this Bill ever seeing the light of day and hope that our
Government will continue to deny this request. To even consider that someone
Who has been here 3yrs....who has contributed not one cent to this country....
Would receive the same OAS/GIS as myself and my husband, makes me
Absolutely livid, furious!!! 3 YEARS!!

This bill is being put forward by Dhalla solely to support her own Indian community,
Who continually bring elderly people over here, adding strain to our medical services
And draining our resources, paid for by Canadians who have paid taxes over many,
Many years to be able to collect these resources. People bringing elderly relatives to
This country from ANY country in this world should be completely responsible for their
Well-being instead of draining resources that are going to be bankrupt by the time our
CANADIAN children try to collect them.

I feel very, very strongly about this and would like to know, from you, when this Bill will
Be presented to Parliament...when does it go through the procedures that a Bill has to go
Through before being a law? Myself and many other retired people would like the opportunity
To oppose this Bill and, if necessary, will be in
Ottawa to do just that.

I have cc'd Ms. Crombie on this email, she is my MP but, being a Liberal I do not hold out
ANY hope that she will do anything about it but I want her to be aware, I will be in touch and
I expect you to represent MY feelings in this also and to help me in any way to voice my
Opinion on this.

It is time Canada looked after it's own citizens before splashing OUR money around on
People who have no right to this money, never having contributed to it. If a family wishes
To bring elderly relatives here and wish to waive their own right to collect these resources
In order that the elderly relatives can...fine...otherwise, look after them yourself and do not
Expect the Canadian people to do it. There are too many people abusing the generosity
Of the Canadian people, it needs to stop....NOW!
Should be at least 20 years not 10.!!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I can well imagine the people that the CIC tosses out. No heavies, only lightweight illegals that are easy to catch and whose only crime is trespassing on Canadian soil. The TRans and Xiaojings are still here and take too much effort for the CIC to go after.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Dhalla is one of those pols, supported by many bleeding hearts who see Canada as saviour of the entire world. A sentiment that alllows the muddleheaded idea the country has unlimited money to help unlimited people. But then, no limits is what Microsoft says in its software ads, just wide open blue skies forever and ever. Not so.

And parents of immigrants shouldn't be allowed to come to Canada, if you want to see mom and pop in the old country, hop on a plane. This is what Australia does.

And limit immigration to 100,000 per year from 300,000. The latter huge number we never got to vote on.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I'm including part of an email I received. Only part because even part of it is too long. Makes you wonder about how much support we can afford. I actually still have the full length letter which is meant for forwarding to one's MP if anyone wants it:

Bill C-428, An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act.( r

SO, How do you like this?

Bill C-428, An Act to Amend the Old Age Security Act.( residency requirements )

Mr. Harper....I enclose a letter sent to Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla regarding her continued
Persistence on having the time of 10 yrs in the country before collecting OAS/GIS,
Reduced to 3yrs. Residency? (Bill C-428)

As someone who has worked in this country for over 40yrs and now retired,
I very strongly oppose this Bill ever seeing the light of day and hope that our
Government will continue to deny this request. To even consider that someone
Who has been here 3yrs....who has contributed not one cent to this country....
Would receive the same OAS/GIS as myself and my husband, makes me
Absolutely livid, furious!!! 3 YEARS!!

This bill is being put forward by Dhalla solely to support her own Indian community,
Who continually bring elderly people over here, adding strain to our medical services
And draining our resources, paid for by Canadians who have paid taxes over many,
Many years to be able to collect these resources. People bringing elderly relatives to
This country from ANY country in this world should be completely responsible for their
Well-being instead of draining resources that are going to be bankrupt by the time our
CANADIAN children try to collect them.

I feel very, very strongly about this and would like to know, from you, when this Bill will
Be presented to Parliament...when does it go through the procedures that a Bill has to go
Through before being a law? Myself and many other retired people would like the opportunity
To oppose this Bill and, if necessary, will be in Ottawa to do just that.

I have cc'd Ms. Crombie on this email, she is my MP but, being a Liberal I do not hold out
ANY hope that she will do anything about it but I want her to be aware, I will be in touch and
I expect you to represent MY feelings in this also and to help me in any way to voice my
Opinion on this.

It is time Canada looked after it's own citizens before splashing OUR money around on
People who have no right to this money, never having contributed to it. If a family wishes
To bring elderly relatives here and wish to waive their own right to collect these resources
In order that the elderly relatives can...fine...otherwise, look after them yourself and do not
Expect the Canadian people to do it. There are too many people abusing the generosity
Of the Canadian people, it needs to stop....NOW!
Should be at least 20 years not 10.!!

Old Age Security goes to all Canadian citizens and it takes three years to obtain one.

If you don’t like visible minorities from getting government money then outlaw abortions.

Because of legalized abortions Canada needs immigration so pensioners can have a better quality of life.

The Conservatives will stop this bill because they don’t like visible minorities.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Old Age Security goes to all Canadian citizens and it takes three years to obtain one.

If you don’t like visible minorities from getting government money then outlaw abortions.

Because of legalized abortions Canada needs immigration so pensioners can have a better quality of life.

The Conservatives will stop this bill because they don’t like visible minorities.
I don't like people who have never paid into the OAS receiving it after 3 years of living in this country. Read the message. It's not about visible minorities. Not everyone who comes to this country is deemed a visible minority.
If the government is so concerned with pensioners having a better quality of life then why are they giving money out to people who have never paid into it and have never contributed anything to this country. Old people coming to this country and receiving the OAS after only 3 years are here for the free ride and nothing more. They will never contribute but only use and it has nothing at all to do with abortion. How did you ever come to that conclusion?
Years ago governement said that government workers with government pensions could not receive the full OAS and their full pension that they paid into for all their years of work so they clawed back the pension they paid into for retirement and then added the OAS to it. What my husband receives from his regular pension from when he retired, plus the addition of OAS it's about an extra $30.00 over what he was already receiving. Do remember that he spent 30 years (not 3 years) working and saving for the day he would retire. Why should we have to have those funds clawed back? I'm quite bitter about that.
Saying that the Conservatives do not like visible minorities is just your opinion and it's a very silly one at that. Try putting yourself in our position and see how much you would like it if some elderly people were allowed in and allowed to collect the OAS after just 3 years without ever contributing anything to this country. They don't just get the OAS, they will also get mostly free medical.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I just received this email... Fits right in....
CANADA PENSION - A Must Read. Only in
Canada
Do not apply for
your old age pension...
Apply to be a refugee.
It is interesting that the federal government provides a single
refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
and each can get an additional $580.00 in
social assistance for a total of $2,470.00.
This compares very well to a single
pensioner who, after contributing to the growth
and development of Canada for
40 or 50 years, can only receive a monthly
maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and
Guaranteed Income Supplement.

Furthermore if you had the wisdom to have a RRSP and made other
income generating investments you may have
earned the right to receive nothing from the
Federal Government as they claw your Old
Age Pension back because in their opinion you do
not need it!!!!!
Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sixteen per cent of deportees from Canada deemed criminals or security threats
Who else can afford the financial requirements to immigrate legally other than criminals?

We continually deny very very highly educated good honest people strictly because they don't have the money.

I'd gladly allow a skilled and educated person to immigrate and help them financially or someone who faces a regime probably backed by our consumer greed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I just received this email... Fits right in....
CANADA PENSION - A Must Read. Only in
Canada
Do not apply for
your old age pension...
Apply to be a refugee.
It is interesting that the federal government provides a single
refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
and each can get an additional $580.00 in
social assistance for a total of $2,470.00.
This compares very well to a single
pensioner who, after contributing to the growth
and development of Canada for
40 or 50 years, can only receive a monthly
maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and
Guaranteed Income Supplement.
Furthermore if you had the wisdom to have a RRSP and made other
income generating investments you may have
earned the right to receive nothing from the
Federal Government as they claw your Old
Age Pension back because in their opinion you do
not need it!!!!!
Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!
If don't have your bills paid and ass covered by 65 then why would you deserve more than $1020 per month?

If you were stupid enough to not question or wonder why you can only buy one can of soup when you could buy 10 30 years ago and did absolutely nothing about it then who is to blame?

If you are on pension and feel short changed but rode the greed wagon for 45 years then how can I possibly pity you?

Why did you let yourself and others get screwed or screw others continually trying to make make and more for your labour or goods? Why didn't you save?

You've had every chance to take back the wealth of the nation from foreign or corporate greed but you didn't so deal with it.

Why didn't you upgrade your education or skill set if you weren't making ends meet?

What makes you think you are owed anything?

Did encouraging the govt to sell it's money making assets to private firms help your retirement?

Where is all the money you saved from getting these services elsewhere?

Blew it on magic beans or beer? No? Well did you save it for retirement? Apparently not eh? So where is it?

Don't whine to me about pension when you've had a lifetime of opportunity to prepare and a lifetime to ensure you weren't being fed a lie by someone out for the glory and power of term politics.

You had your chance and blew it.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
government gives out money for businesses and other ventures the pensioners are a venture and should get some of that money

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
You're all getting deported unless you can stick to the topic. :D

I totally agree.

===============

I saw on CBC one time an announcer interviewing a person who is trying to streamline the system, that deporting someone must be tough. He said not at all, if they are bogus. We let in economic migrants when there are people who need refugee status because they will be persecuted by their govt if they return home. If we let in bogus economic refugees, the real refugees may die because the quota is taken up. The CBC muddles things up a difficult job.