2016 Olympics in Rio

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Gary Mason

Copenhagen — Globe and Mail Update
Last updated on Friday, Oct. 02, 2009 01:05PM EDT

Presented with a choice to play it safe or make history, the International Olympic Association decided today to roll the dice.

In a decision that left the city of Chicago in shock, the IOC voted to award the 2016 Summer Games to the city of Rio de Janeiro, making it the first time the Olympics will be staged in the continent of South America.

In the end it was Rio facing off against Madrid in the final round of voting. Chicago, the city many saw as the favourite, was the first to be bounced from the competition.

It was a stunning repudiation of the glitzy, star-powered production that Chicago put on here. A production that included appearances by Oprah and the two biggest stars on the planet – Michelle and Barack Obama. Many will now be asking why and how the strategy backfired so spectacularly.

Chicagoans will be crushed.

more...

2016 Olympics going to Rio - The Globe and Mail

They must be all racists in Copenhagen.....non?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, all I can say is what I say about Whistler's Olys ... that it actually doesn't keep us paying through the nose for 40 years like Montreal's Olys.
Good luck to Rio de J.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The pick-pockets and the prostituties couldn't be happier.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You win some, ya lose some. Congrats to Rio, should be fun to watch.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Poor Rio.

Why poor Rio? I think they are fortunate to get this. Done right like Calgary and Whistler it will be good for the country. B.C. got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used for at least fifty years that probably would still only be talked about for several years yet. The hardest part if course will be to keep the politicians from squandering all the money on their friends.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Why poor Rio? I think they are fortunate to get this. Done right like Calgary and Whistler it will be good for the country. B.C. got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used for at least fifty years that probably would still only be talked about for several years yet. The hardest part if course will be to keep the politicians from squandering all the money on their friends.
Don't you mean "the Lower Mainland got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used...." that BC paid for and likely will keep paying for for those decades? What's a billion bux? Take it out of petty cash.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
First time in South America. Congrats to the South America as a whole, and Brazil in particular. The football should be amazing to watch. A great big party!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
looks good on the yanks and obama to get booted out first round...

I saw on CNN, Republicans were ecstatic about US not getting the Olympics. I assume out of patriotism they would have liked Chicago to get Olympics. However, hating Obama is more important than getting Olympics for your country.

They regard Chicago not getting Olympics as Obama getting it in the neck; they are spinning it as a big defeat for Obama and the Democrats. It is important to hate Obama; it doesn’t matter if your country doesn’t get Olympics.

Commentary: GOP celebrates U.S. defeat - CNN.com

You may be sure Republicans were rooting for any city but Chicago. They are probably popping champaign corks at Republican headquarters today.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Top 10 Reasons Chicago lost Olympic bid

Ethel C. Fenig
Too, too funny! Too, too true--and so many people believe the number one reason killed it.

Add your own. And thanks to Rich Lowry of NRO for sharing

10. Dead people can't vote at IOC meetings
9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal
8. Who cares if Obama couldn't talk the IOC into Chicago? He'll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.
7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.
6. Obviously no president would have been able to accomplish it.
5. We've been quite clear and said all along that we didn't want the Olympics.
4. This isn't about the number of Olympics "lost", it's about the number of Olympics "saved" or "created".
3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee
2. Because the IOC is racist.
1. It's George Bush's fault.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Don't you mean "the Lower Mainland got some much needed infrastructure projects that will be used...." that BC paid for and likely will keep paying for for those decades? What's a billion bux? Take it out of petty cash.

Yes the lower mainland got the lions share of the money and will also reap the lions share of the profits. But they also really needed a lot of the road work and construction. Our construction industry would have tanked two years earlier if not for olympic induced projects. I don't believe that we will be paying for years, that is just scare tactics by the anti everything crowd. You know the same ones that falsely claimed that Expo 86 would be a disaster. Not sure about the interior but the island is getting a significant boost in the economy courtesy of the olympics. Several countries are using Mt.Washington for practice.I think it was somewhere around 1500 people for over a month. Most of them will explore at least the southern portion of the island which spreads money around to places that most people don't even think about like BC ferries and all the suppliers during the slow season. Some will be hard to quantify but it will most certainly not be a financial disaster.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I saw on CNN, Republicans were ecstatic about US not getting the Olympics. I assume out of patriotism they would have liked Chicago to get Olympics. However, hating Obama is more important than getting Olympics for your country.

They regard Chicago not getting Olympics as Obama getting it in the neck; they are spinning it as a big defeat for Obama and the Democrats. It is important to hate Obama; it doesn’t matter if your country doesn’t get Olympics."

SirJosephPorter, we all know, amply proven by your posts that you are a vitriolic and virulent Yankee-hater. Unless those Yanks are Democrats.

But would even you wish the disaster of Montreal 1976 on even the worst of your enemies?

Obama's narcissistic and egotistical efforts ended in well deserved, out-in-the-first-ballot failure.

At least, among his other failures he will not be remembered as the American version of the Mayor who claimed that the Olympics can have a deficit no more than a man can have a baby.

He was lucky. Like a stupid farmer who can, occasionally grow big potatoes.

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"The IOC is clearly prejudiced"

OF COURSE!!!!

Anyone who does not agree with this immature President-wanna-be is RACIST.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Chicagoans will be crushed.

I don't know why Chicagoans would be crushed. They can always apply again, pay off some more officials, and maybe they can get the 2020 party...

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I don't know why Chicagoans would be crushed. They can always apply again, pay off some more officials, and maybe they can get the 2020 party..."

Once Obama is booted out after ONE spectacularly failed term, Chicago would have a better chance.