The Greater Edmonton Potato Famine

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Strange. Potatoes are cheap. For the cost of gasoline to drive out to pick them up they could have bought potatoes. It's like $13 for a 20kg sack. Saving big I tell ya. Saving big.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
1/4 section can house a thousand peeps or grow a few taters.

Theres literally millions of acres of land in Alberta thats good farmland but not being used.
There is enough wasted space within cities that all a city's veg /fruit needs can be met and actually have enough to export to rural. Cool huh?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I find Alberta spuds tasteless.

we had a tater truck flip on the highway here a few years ago and it was like a dogpile of peeps on the spuds for 3 days and they were only seed potatos.
The crowd was allmost as bad as when the molson truck flipped near sparwood BC

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Since taters make vodka and moonshine then they can make fuel for cars and since Alberta is an energy producing province they can use the taters suppliment thier energy program

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Since taters make vodka and moonshine then they can make fuel for cars and since Alberta is an energy producing province they can use the taters suppliment thier energy program
Ralph Klein visited a farm near me years ago where the barn was set up for methane collection from the cows,he said on live tv...."now if only we could get them all to fart at the same time":lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The problem isn't nesasarily with the local population not supporting "local produce or products", it's with the chain food stores. Lamb is a prime example. In Alberta, most if not all, the grocery chains supply and sell Alberta Beef, yet they stock and sell NewZealand Lamb. Alberta has, for quite some time now, localy grown Sheep. For a short while the chain stores did supply Alberta Lamb, but it was short lived. New Zealand lamb could be imported cheaper giving the chain stores a larger mark up. I, for one, was/am more than wiling to pay extra to support our local producers, and in my opinion, the Alberta Lamb was far better tasting and more tender than the flash frozen imported stuff from New Zealand.

We need, as a society, to start demanding that our local stores support our local producers.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:cool:Where's Dexter when ya need him???

DEXTER !!!!! er, please.

we need you to tell us how to set up a still so we don't produce wood alcohol and all go blind.

Sorry, I need you to.................etc.

Thinking potato alcohol. Vodka?? Not necessarily, just hooch....hee hee hee.

Dang, to think I used to work in a lab, and had access to heat mantles, fine glass boilers, beakers, tubes.............all the stuff.:angry3:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Just don't used an old car radiator for a condensor....

just kidden. Have some plans out in the shop, and a big book of instructions. But, the thought of incarceration..................nah. Fer all I drink, I can buy it. Or make some wine.

......................then run off the wine????:laughing6:

:eek:ccasion5: Thanks just the same. Cheers.