Jeremy Clarkson: Why it would be a 'disaster' to have a woman presenting Top Gear

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has again struck a blow on the face of political correctness.

Clarkson admits that it would be a disaster for a woman to present the show.

Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival, Clarkson said: "I think a girl would be a disaster. If a girl came in and we started taking the piss out of her it may look like bullying."

It's not the first time Clarkson has caused controvery. He recently called Prime Minister Gordon Brown a "One-eyed Scottish idiot" and insulted the Germans (again).

Jeremy Clarkson: Why it would be a 'disaster' to have a woman presenting Top Gear

By Liz Thomas
30th August 2009
Daily Mail

Disastrous: Jeremy Clarkson is not keen on the idea of a female Top Gear presenter

Controversial Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson admits he thinks it would be a 'disaster' for a woman to join the show.

He confessed that he would not want a female host as part of the line-up because it would spoil the boys club dynamic.

Clarkson said: 'When we did the original screentests and some BBC people came down and insisting we had to have a girl. Honestly I didn't give a damn at the time I just wanted the best presenter.

'Now though, having seen how we work, I think a girl would be a disaster. If a girl came in and we started taking the piss out of her it may look like bullying.'

The 49 year-old also branded many of the people that came to watch the show in the studio 'oafs'.

Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival he confessed what viewers had long suspected - that producers put attractive women at the front of the studio audience because they look better on screen.

The veteran presenter added he had complete contempt for BBC health and safety describing them as the 'programme prevention department'.

Talking about the time he crashed a lorry while filming for the show he said he ignored the advice from health and safety staff.

And insisted it was a fact of life that presenters could get hurt or killed on these types of shows.

He said: 'I was told the fastest I could go was 30mph. I started down the track and I thought this is gonna look pony. But only when I got up close to the wall did I think I was going too fast. And it did hurt.

'But doing a show like Top Gear, presenters are going to get hurt or killed. I am not going to sue the BBC, if I decide to drive the lorry into the wall at 50mph that is my look out.'

Clarkson added that he did not believe he had stepped beyond the mark despite recent controversies.

In the past two years he has come under fire for making gags insulting the Germans, lorry drivers and branding Prime Minister Gordon Brown a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'.

dailymail.co.uk