Why Obama May Not Be Funny

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
John Stewart among others is having trouble making jokes about Obama. Clinton, Bush (I and II), Reagan, Ford, Nixon, Eisenhower are easy targets. Yet nothing sticks to him. Part of it is Obama's newness, his race, and the serious situation the US is in today. Stewart once told his audience that it is okay to laugh about Obama, but no dice, the crowd did not agree.

Here's an article about it.
Funny thing about Obama ... - Los Angeles Times

But even better is the Stride Gum commerical explaining why Obama might not be funny. Try to imagine a black man or woman getting randomly butted two times by a goat on the street. In another ad I saw on TV lately from Stride Gum is a white man is cornered in a parking lot and dancers in traditional dress circle him and unload punches and kicks to him. Try to imagine a black man or woman getting these blows. Not likely. Axe hair ads show a man being tackled on the street because women don't like his hair. Then there's the Nissan car ads for the Rogue

YouTube - Stride Gum Commercial -- Office Park

Politically, legally, tehnically we're all equal, but not culturally. If this sort of physical contact can't dished out equally, then these ads have to be pulled. Let's see.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Jokes of Barack Obama

Certainly you don’t expect advertising companies to make enough versions of each commercial to cover the ethnic rainbow, dumpthemonarchy? If it seems wrong to “make fun” of His Excellency the Honourable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America, then it is because he has done a good job thus far as president—and not due to his race or colour. There are, of course, cartoons and parodies of the president, just as there have been with His Excellency’s predecessors—the current president is no exception. It seems to me as though the article seeks to create a controversy where there is none.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Certainly you don’t expect advertising companies to make enough versions of each commercial to cover the ethnic rainbow, dumpthemonarchy? If it seems wrong to “make fun” of His Excellency the Honourable Barack Obama, President of the United States of America, then it is because he has done a good job thus far as president—and not due to his race or colour. There are, of course, cartoons and parodies of the president, just as there have been with His Excellency’s predecessors—the current president is no exception. It seems to me as though the article seeks to create a controversy where there is none.

Show me the ad where women or black get get unexpected physical contact in public.

I agree Obama has done a good job so far. But he is unusually unfunny. There aren't too many black comedians, but there are some.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
This is because our marketing culture is held to such an abrasively politically correct standard it almost is like reverse racism. Why should it matter if a black man were to be chewed by a goat because he chews his gum for an extremely long time? What would be wrong in that? There is no stereotype surrounding black people and goats.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This is because our marketing culture is held to such an abrasively politically correct standard it almost is like reverse racism. Why should it matter if a black man were to be chewed by a goat because he chews his gum for an extremely long time? What would be wrong in that? There is no stereotype surrounding black people and goats.

"chewed by a goat" Chewed? lol. I think you mean head butted.

These marketing types want to push the envelope and shock. Though they seem to know the rules quite well. So they are lame.

Let's see an ad with a black man getting knocked over by a goat. Nothing wrong with that.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
I'm just saying its almost more insulting to say that certain people can't be in ads because we may offend someone. It's kind of circular logic i guess.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

The Sarah Palin video didn't work.

In the second video the woman knows the man and doesn't really get hit. Even though it is a crushing hit. Then as the commercial end she actually hits him back with a flying blindsided block. Too much fantasy and not enough realism. All white folks here too.

The man in the Stride Gum ad is really hit by the goat, twice. Out of nowhere, no rules or friends here for him.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm just saying its almost more insulting to say that certain people can't be in ads because we may offend someone. It's kind of circular logic i guess.

"Nibbling" his leg, double lol.

We got rules that we don't know, but we know'em anyhow and follow'em. As citizens we are equal, but not as men and women in our every day lives. Hey, you can't have everything all the time.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If the mental zeroes did not keep bringing Sarah Palin up time after time, I would think that they have a valid argument.

NONE appearent so far.

If the mental zeroeos did not consider Sarah Palin a threat to their ambitions, would they bring her up, reason or no reason?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If the mental zeroes did not keep bringing Sarah Palin up time after time, I would think that they have a valid argument.

NONE appearent so far.

If the mental zeroeos did not consider Sarah Palin a threat to their ambitions, would they bring her up, reason or no reason?

The only place I see her in this thread is the video I posted, and it wasn't posted because it has anything to do with her, but in answer to dtm's request that we post videos of women being tackled/hit/etc. in advertising media.